The Student Room Group

KCL vs. UCL (postgraduate psychology)

Hello :smile: I currently hold offers at both KCL and UCL for a MSc in Developmental Psychology / Child & Adolescent Mental Health. Both programmes seem to be fairly similar in terms of module content, but the one at King's offers a variation of placement opportunities within the course -- while the programme at UCL does not. However, I do believe that UCL has an overall better reputation (??) and is generally ranked higher both generally and in the field of Psychology, which makes it veryy difficult for me to turn it down. Although it seems like Kings is more closely tied with work-experience institutes and the programme seems to be slightly more fun, I cannot disregard UCL due to its rank and position. Besides, the MSc is just 1 year, and a 1.5 month placement at King's might not even make any real difference idk?! Ugh I am feeling quite lost and confused about making this decision... Does anyone have any advice to give? I'm an international student btw if that matters.

Thanks <3
Original post by Downhill
Hello :smile: I currently hold offers at both KCL and UCL for a MSc in Developmental Psychology / Child & Adolescent Mental Health. Both programmes seem to be fairly similar in terms of module content, but the one at King's offers a variation of placement opportunities within the course -- while the programme at UCL does not. However, I do believe that UCL has an overall better reputation (??) and is generally ranked higher both generally and in the field of Psychology, which makes it veryy difficult for me to turn it down. Although it seems like Kings is more closely tied with work-experience institutes and the programme seems to be slightly more fun, I cannot disregard UCL due to its rank and position. Besides, the MSc is just 1 year, and a 1.5 month placement at King's might not even make any real difference idk?! Ugh I am feeling quite lost and confused about making this decision... Does anyone have any advice to give? I'm an international student btw if that matters.

Thanks <3

Hey,

I am in exactly the same position as you as I have also received offers from both unis for the same courses. I think one of the biggest differentiating factors between them are the way in which the modules will be assessed? UCL is 100% coursework, whereas King's includes 40% exams. I'm not sure if this helped but I have also been trying to make comparisons between them so just wanted to ask where you might be inclining.

Reply 2
Original post by anushkag_25
Hey,

I am in exactly the same position as you as I have also received offers from both unis for the same courses. I think one of the biggest differentiating factors between them are the way in which the modules will be assessed? UCL is 100% coursework, whereas King's includes 40% exams. I'm not sure if this helped but I have also been trying to make comparisons between them so just wanted to ask where you might be inclining.

Hii, thanks for your message :smile: I'm so happy I'm not the only one in this position haha! Do you have a preference for either coursework or exams? Personally, I prefer coursework over exams any day of the week, so that would give UCL an extra point hehe. But I did check out King's Developmental Psychology & Psychopathology offer holders hub and in the introduction video it seemed like most exams will be MCQ anyway, so it should be fine. One second I'm inclined toward joining King's (mostly because of their connections with placement opportunities and because the course description seems more multifaceted + the employability and career outcome seems very diverse for that course), and then I find myself leaning toward UCL again (because of the high ranking within psychology + they also said that we may choose modules from other courses if they are available and fit our schedule). So yeah, I keep going back and forth between them :s-smilie: What about you? Which one are you currently inclining toward?
Heyy, I reckon you guys are in a course by now and I was wondering which Msc you went for in the end, and how you are finding it? I'm having the same dilemma now as you with Kings developmental & UCL Child & Adolescent MH. Would really appreciate any insight!!:smile:
Original post by Downhill
Hii, thanks for your message :smile: I'm so happy I'm not the only one in this position haha! Do you have a preference for either coursework or exams? Personally, I prefer coursework over exams any day of the week, so that would give UCL an extra point hehe. But I did check out King's Developmental Psychology & Psychopathology offer holders hub and in the introduction video it seemed like most exams will be MCQ anyway, so it should be fine. One second I'm inclined toward joining King's (mostly because of their connections with placement opportunities and because the course description seems more multifaceted + the employability and career outcome seems very diverse for that course), and then I find myself leaning toward UCL again (because of the high ranking within psychology + they also said that we may choose modules from other courses if they are available and fit our schedule). So yeah, I keep going back and forth between them :s-smilie: What about you? Which one are you currently inclining toward?
Heyyy! I assume you guys made your decision since, and I was wondering which MSc course you decided on? + how are you finding it? I'm having the same dilemma as you did last year and super curious!
Reply 5
Original post by emmily12345
Heyyy! I assume you guys made your decision since, and I was wondering which MSc course you decided on? + how are you finding it? I'm having the same dilemma as you did last year and super curious!

Heyy, have you decided on which course you’re planning to do? I’m considering applying to the UCL child and adolescent mental health MSc but not 100% sure
Original post by emmily12345
Heyy, I reckon you guys are in a course by now and I was wondering which Msc you went for in the end, and how you are finding it? I'm having the same dilemma now as you with Kings developmental & UCL Child & Adolescent MH. Would really appreciate any insight!!:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending