The Student Room Group

HMRC repaying loan

Hi! I finish my degree this year and I have literally just started a new part time job. Will HMRC contact my employers about my loan repayments? If so, when? Or will my employers contact them first?
Original post by stegoshauna
Hi! I finish my degree this year and I have literally just started a new part time job. Will HMRC contact my employers about my loan repayments? If so, when? Or will my employers contact them first?

When you started your new job, you should either have handed over a P45 which would indicate that you had outstanding student loans, or you should have completed a "starter checklist" indicating (amongst other things) that you had student loans to be repaid.

There’s usually a stop gap between finishing Uni and starting repayments. I think for me it was ~6months or so.

And even after that stopgap, you might not start paying anything back. Generally you need to be making more than the threshold before repayments kick in

From the gov.uk website:

6.1 What happens when you’re employed

If you’re an employee paying UK tax, your employer will take repayments from your pay, along with tax and National Insurance. You will see the deductions on your payslip.

SLC will tell HMRC when you’ve finished or left your course and give them details such as your name and National Insurance number. HMRC will check to see if you’re working and if you are, they’ll tell your employer that you have a loan (but not how much you owe).

You should also inform your new employer that you have a student loan.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/student-loans-a-guide-to-terms-and-conditions/student-loans-a-guide-to-terms-and-conditions-2021-to-2022#how-youll-repay

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending