The Student Room Group

Clearing 2022?

On the website why does it say it opens on the 5th of July when we won't haven't received our results by then?
I think courses generally know by that point if they need more applicants so applicants with achieved grades can apply early. Idk if they do clearing with predicted grades I'd contact admissions.
Uni's receive the results before us so that way they know how many places are filled and what courses they can put to clearing.
Reply 3
Original post by Abdaba19
I think courses generally know by that point if they need more applicants so applicants with achieved grades can apply early. Idk if they do clearing with predicted grades I'd contact admissions.

Hmm okay thanks

Original post by Spelunker
Uni's receive the results before us so that way they know how many places are filled and what courses they can put to clearing.

Yeah but I doubt they've marked all the papers by 5th of July?
Original post by Htx_x346
Hmm okay thanks

Yeah but I doubt they've marked all the papers by 5th of July?

I'm pretty sure they start the marking as soon as each paper finishes. Like they probably have finished marking paper 1's by now. Or it could be that not enough people applied in the first place for the uni's that have early clearing places.
Universities wont accept predicted grades for clearing. It would have to be actual on results day. However many students have results earlier such as overseas students so would be able to apply.
On the website why does it say it opens on the 5th of July when we won't haven't received our results by then?

Many overseas results - Spain, Turkey, India etc - plus IB etc - are released before A levels.

This means that Unis can soak up some of these folks to fill up remaining spaces before Resuts Day.
HOWEVER - it does not mean that these applicants get a head start on Clearing.
'Early Clearing' will only be for Uni's obvious hard-to-fill courses - the ones that were in Extra anyway.
Remember, Clearing is only for those with achieved grades.

Main Clearing starts in August.
Unis wont know what spaces they have on 99% of their courses until after they have processed A level results.
Thats when they will decide what to put into Clearing.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 7
Original post by McGinger
Many overseas results - Spain, Turkey, India etc - plus IB etc - are released before A levels.

This means that Unis can soak up some of these folks to fill up remaining spaces before Resuts Day.
HOWEVER - it does not mean that these applicants get a head start on Clearing.
'Early Clearing' will only be for Uni's obvious hard-to-fill courses - the ones that were in Extra anyway.
Remember, Clearing is only for those with achieved grades.

Main Clearing starts in August.
Unis wont know what spaces they have on 99% of their courses until after they have processed A level results.
Thats when they will decide what to put into Clearing.

Also does that mean unis that aren't in clearing in July could be in clearing in August?
Also does that mean unis that aren't in clearing in July could be in clearing in August?

Exactly this.

Think about it - Unis dont know what spaces they have to fill until they get the A level results.

Yes but please dont think there will be loads of top universities suddenly appearing as that isnt going to happen.

Universities make many times more offers than they have places. They do this because they know only a small percentage will end up going there. Others will go to their other choices. Also not everyone gets the grades although due to grade inflation this is less likely now than it was previously. They have years of experience in doing this and are accurately able to predict. However there might be the case where the odd subject might have a few spaces. The evidence from last year is that only 1/3 of RG universities entered clearing.
And the top Unis in Clearing this year will only be for vacancies on their hard to fill courses.
Competitive courses like Mechanical Enginnering, Management, Law, Economics, Computer Science etc at top Unis will not have Clearing vacancies
Reply 11
Original post by McGinger
And the top Unis in Clearing this year will only be for vacancies on their hard to fill courses.
Competitive courses like Mechanical Enginnering, Management, Law, Economics, Computer Science etc at top Unis will not have Clearing vacancies

Why specifically this year
All the IB students will get their results on July 6th ( one day after they have been sent to the unis).
(Original post by Htx_x346)Why specifically this year

Demand is higher this year as so many deferred last year due to inflated grades and it is expected there will be inflated grades this year. More students meeting grades wil mean fewer places left for clearing

I think it’s because IB results are published on the 6th July

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending