The Student Room Group

Has anyone been involved in a level malpractice?

If so, what was the reason why and did you receive any consequences after?
What's the problem?
I've heard and read of people who have
Original post by TheSchoolNark
If so, what was the reason why and did you receive any consequences after?

Did you help someone cheat? Sounds like it, since you've asked this with no context.
Original post by Funtimes01_
What's the problem?
I've heard and read of people who have

I asked to use the bathroom midway through the exam. They asked if I had anything in my pockets and I had my phone and notes. After the exam I was taken to the head. The head said notes weren’t a problem since I didn’t bring it out and the phone as well, they had been given in before going into the toilet. I had to write a statement. My headteacher said he will mention that I am a trustworthy student etc. and it will be highly unlikely anything will happen.
I asked to use the bathroom midway through the exam. They asked if I had anything in my pockets and I had my phone and notes. After the exam I was taken to the head. The head said notes weren’t a problem since I didn’t bring it out and the phone as well, they had been given in before going into the toilet. I had to write a statement. My headteacher said he will mention that I am a trustworthy student etc. and it will be highly unlikely anything will happen.

According to JCQ Guidelines you may by the sound of it be given an official warning from the exam board. But other than that, from the way you've worded it nothing else will happen. No marks will be deducted most likely, and you won't get disqualified either.
According to JCQ Guidelines you may by the sound of it be given an official warning from the exam board. But other than that, from the way you've worded it nothing else will happen. No marks will be deducted most likely, and you won't get disqualified either.

I pray this is the case, thanks for your input!
I pray this is the case, thanks for your input!

It's alright. I wouldn't worry personally. As long as you didn't cheat, you should be fine.
You being a trustworthy and dedicated student will most likely go in your favour as well.
Please let me know what happens.
It's alright. I wouldn't worry personally. As long as you didn't cheat, you should be fine.
You being a trustworthy and dedicated student will most likely go in your favour as well.

Ofc I definitely will do!

You had a phone on you in the exam? That is a major issue and ditto the notes in your pocket.

This sounds quite serious .... @gdunne42
Original post by Muttley79
You had a phone on you in the exam? That is a major issue and ditto the notes in your pocket.

This sounds quite serious .... @gdunne42

I was not found using it, I was asked before using the toilet if I had anything in my pocket. I then said I had a phone on me and notes and gave these 2 items in. School said having notes on you is not a problem as long as it’s not openly seen having out in the exam
Did you have your phone in your pocket in the exam room? that is breaking the rules - ditto your notes. This is very serious - nothing to do with whether you intended to use it.

Phones must be handed in before an exam starts. Your school needs to read the exam rules ... notes in your possession in the exam room are also totally against the rules.
I was not found using it, I was asked before using the toilet if I had anything in my pocket. I then said I had a phone on me and notes and gave these 2 items in. School said having notes on you is not a problem as long as it’s not openly seen having out in the exam

As @Muttley79 said, just having the notes and phone is a serious issue that can lose marks and can lead to disqualification from the paper. The fact that you weren't seen using them is a good thing but you only handed them over after being asked about them and that is a problem. The final outcome will depend on exactly what you school reports to the examiners but I'll be surprised if you don't lose marks for this paper and a much more serious sanction is quite possible. What did you write in your formal statement to go with the exams officer report?
(edited 1 year ago)

does writing on your hand, forgetting to wash it off, then getting caught almost an hour later count? if it is year 12 mocks? and if so, would that lead to real disqualification from a levels?
i mean, we were warned on the same day, but had no time to wash it off before an exam
Original post by gdunne42
As @Muttley79 said, just having the notes and phone is a serious issue that can lose marks and can lead to disqualification from the paper. The fact that you weren't seen using them is a good thing but you only handed them over after being asked about them and that is a problem. The final outcome will depend on exactly what you school reports to the examiners but I'll be surprised if you don't lose marks for this paper and a much more serious sanction is quite possible. What did you write in your formal statement to go with the exams officer report?

I wrote in my statement I use my notes to revise on the way to school just before the exam, which is true. I also mentioned that my phone is always in my left pocket and I’m used to the pressure it exerts on my leg hence why I didn’t think there would be a phone in my pocket. And I also wrote if I had a genuine intention to cheat I wouldn’t pick my hands up asking to go to the toilet knowing they’d check my pockets. My head principal told me not to be too disheartened as consequences are highly unlikely, he mentioned that he wrote in his statement I am a trustworthy student and I had my phone switched off. I’m just crossing my fingers right now and praying to God nothing further happens.
Original post by pintoforia
does writing on your hand, forgetting to wash it off, then getting caught almost an hour later count? if it is year 12 mocks? and if so, would that lead to real disqualification from a levels?
i mean, we were warned on the same day, but had no time to wash it off before an exam

Exam malpractice in internal mock exams is not reported to the examiners, the only consequences are those your school decides to impose.
Original post by gdunne42
Exam malpractice in internal mock exams is not reported to the examiners, the only consequences are those your school decides to impose.

thats a huge relief considering I did not even cheat, but will be careful to ensure no ink is on my arms next time
Original post by pintoforia

Hello.
No it would not. These are Yr12 mocks so the only thing they go towards is your target grades for Yr 13 and predicted grades for Universities to look at. Mocks are marked internally by teachers. Your teacher/marker however can give a U on the paper, or cap marks and report you for disciplinary action to the head of the subject department. You may also be asked to do the mock again. It would all depend as to whether or not you have cheated. Best thing you can do is learn from this, and definitely don't do something like that come official A level examinations next year.
The punishments for any kind of exam malpractice can range from as minor as being given a formal warning from the exam board(s), to being banned from taking any form of examinations across multiple exam boards for a potential few years (only if you do something serious enough to warrant that).
Hope this helped.
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi is there any update to this? As I’m going through the same thing at the moment
Reply 18

they haven’t gotten back to me and nothing was escalated further, in other words I was let off :smile:
Reply 19
they haven’t gotten back to me and nothing was escalated further, in other words I was let off :smile:

I trust you have not repeated this major eroor - your school sounds very blase about this.

Quick Reply

Latest