The Student Room Group

reading recommendations

i used to be an avid reader but over the past two years i felt like i can not fully commit to a book and end up giving up after a couple of hours or chapters reading but recently i wanted to give reader another chance as i feel like i just haven’t found the right books. i like romance and cheesy books and i enjoyed one of us is lying series and a good girls guide to murder. do you have any book recommendations?
Go to your local bookshop or library.
Original post by enhaza
i used to be an avid reader but over the past two years i felt like i can not fully commit to a book and end up giving up after a couple of hours or chapters reading but recently i wanted to give reader another chance as i feel like i just haven’t found the right books. i like romance and cheesy books and i enjoyed one of us is lying series and a good girls guide to murder. do you have any book recommendations?

Ah, this is perfect timing! I've just finished a book called It Ends With Us by Colleen Hoover. It became quite popular (due to tiktok I think?) so I kind of wanted to know why. I finished it over the weekend and I quite enjoyed it. I don't want to give away any spoilers, but it's quite an emotional and insightful read concerning certain matters in relationships.

If you decide to read it, let me know what you think as I would love to know! :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 3
Original post by jenny07
Ah, this is perfect timing! I've just finished a book called It Ends With Us by Colleen Hoover. It become quite popular (due to tiktok I think?) so I kind of wanted to know why. I finished it over the weekend and I quite enjoyed it. I don't want to give away any spoilers, but it's quite an emotional and insightful read concerning certain matters in relationships.

If you decide to read it, let me know what you think as I would love to know! :smile:

i’ve heard so many people talk about it ends with us so it’s definitely on my reading list. thanks for the suggestion
Original post by enhaza

When reading I think it can help to read books you don't find that easy, by reading less easy books you develop a longer attention span which helps with studying and patience and if you find more complex difficult books you'll be able to get into more complex and interesting ideas both philosophically and socially.
what type of books do you like? and what kind of tropes do you like?

i've got a few historical fiction, greek mythology, LGBTQIA+, comics and found family recommendations : )
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 6
Original post by ScoutLeopard
what type of books do you like? and what kind of tropes do you like?

i've got a few historical fiction, greek mythology, LGBTQIA+, comics and found family recommendations : )

i like romance and mystery. i’ve read song of achilles and a couple of lgbtqia+ books too and enjoyed them too such as they both die for in the end. but any and all recommendations are welcome since i’m trying to expand my tastes as i literally only exclusively read romance and want to venture out.
Original post by enhaza
i like romance and mystery. i’ve read song of achilles and a couple of lgbtqia+ books too and enjoyed them too such as they both die for in the end. but any and all recommendations are welcome since i’m trying to expand my tastes as i literally only exclusively read romance and want to venture out.

TSOA is amazing and actually one of the ones I was thinking of recommending lmao. If you liked that, you may like Circe as well (also by Madeline Miller). Iron Widow and Daughter of the Moon Goddess are also pretty good - both have elements of romance and Iron Widow has some polyamorous elements & Daughter of the moon goddess is based in chinese mythology!

Legendborn is also really good! Again, has elements of romance but it isn't the main plot point. It's a YA fantasy book that has a magic system based on Arthurian myths!

Lemme know if you want some more recomendations : )
Reply 8
Original post by ScoutLeopard
TSOA is amazing and actually one of the ones I was thinking of recommending lmao. If you liked that, you may like Circe as well (also by Madeline Miller). Iron Widow and Daughter of the Moon Goddess are also pretty good - both have elements of romance and Iron Widow has some polyamorous elements & Daughter of the moon goddess is based in chinese mythology!

Legendborn is also really good! Again, has elements of romance but it isn't the main plot point. It's a YA fantasy book that has a magic system based on Arthurian myths!

Lemme know if you want some more recomendations : )

i’ve read TSOA since my friend recommended it and i really enjoyed it, Circe is on my reading list. i’ll definitely check out the others too
thanks!
Reply 9
I’d recommend ‘Wuthering Heights’ by Emily Bronte, it’s a gothic romance nevertheless it’s an awesome book to expand your horizons!! Murder on the orient express or any of Agatha Christie’s books for that matter are also amazing!
Original post by enhaza

The books by cathy glass, lisa stone and mike pannett are all worth a read
I’m such a massive reader. About to start the love hypothesis tomorrow
Making money online more than $15k just by doing simple work from home. I have received $18376 last month. Its an easy and simple job to do and its earnings are much better than regular office job and even a little child can do this and earns money. Everybody must try this job by just use the info on this page...

Copy Here→→→→→ boosterstart.com
I’d also recommend getting goodreads and u could add me if u want to c what I’ve been reading

Eden_15
Original post by ebyrne2036
I’d also recommend getting goodreads

ooh goodreads is good! I prefer storygraph, because it shows you graphs based on the books you read (like pace, length, genre etc) and you can view trigger warnings and genres for books!
I'd say you should continue both "A good girls guide to murder" and the "one of us is lying" series.

From the looks of it, you enjoy murder mysteries, so here are my murder mystery recommendations:

- I know you did it
- The Cousins (Which is written by the same writer of One Of Us Is Lying)
- Pride and Premeditation (Which I only recommend if you are a fan of Austen's works)
- the maid
- We were liars

Now onto my YA recommendations:

-They both die at the end
- The fault in our stars
- The perks of being a wallflower (This is a favourite)
- The book thief
- All the bright places
- The sun is also a star

And my Romance recommendations:

-To all the boys I've loved before
- Any Colleen Hoover book that is classed as Romance
- Pride and prejudice (and pretty much every jane austen novel)
- Wuthering Heights
Reply 16
Original post by subwoolfer
I'd say you should continue both "A good girls guide to murder" and the "one of us is lying" series.

From the looks of it, you enjoy murder mysteries, so here are my murder mystery recommendations:

- I know you did it
- The Cousins (Which is written by the same writer of One Of Us Is Lying)
- Pride and Premeditation (Which I only recommend if you are a fan of Austen's works)
- the maid
- We were liars

Now onto my YA recommendations:

-They both die at the end
- The fault in our stars
- The perks of being a wallflower (This is a favourite)
- The book thief
- All the bright places
- The sun is also a star

And my Romance recommendations:

-To all the boys I've loved before
- Any Colleen Hoover book that is classed as Romance
- Pride and prejudice (and pretty much every jane austen novel)
- Wuthering Heights

i’ve read quite a few of the books that you mentioned such as to all the boys i’ve loved before, they both die in the end, the fault in our stars and continued to read the series of one of us is lying and agggtm so i’ll definitely look into the other books and i had a copy of wutherthing heights too that i haven’t got round to reading
thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending