The Student Room Group

A-level Subjects

I'm starting Yr12 in September and I'm still figuring out if I want to do Further Maths or just Maths. I love Maths as a whole with all its problem solving and different ways to work out questions. I did Further Maths for GCSE but it was quite a pain just keeping up with the class and for my upcoming result day, I don't think I will get a good grade for it. For result day, I predict myself with a grade 8 and that's enough for me to go and pick Further Maths. Shall I keep to just Maths or should I pick both?
Original post by pwp1014
I'm starting Yr12 in September and I'm still figuring out if I want to do Further Maths or just Maths. I love Maths as a whole with all its problem solving and different ways to work out questions. I did Further Maths for GCSE but it was quite a pain just keeping up with the class and for my upcoming result day, I don't think I will get a good grade for it. For result day, I predict myself with a grade 8 and that's enough for me to go and pick Further Maths. Shall I keep to just Maths or should I pick both?

Is what you want to do after A-levels dependent on having A-level further maths or not?
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Mintkoala
Is what you want to do after A-levels dependent on having A-level further maths or not?

I'm planning to do Maths or History after level, so maybe Further Maths is the best option? To be honest I just want to do well, enough for me to get into a good uni.
Original post by pwp1014
I'm planning to do Maths or History after level, so maybe Further Maths is the best option? To be honest I just want to do well, enough for me to get into a good uni.

If what you want to study doesn’t require further maths then there’s no point of taking it, if you potentially think you won’t like it/won’t get a good enough grade in it. Pick something else in that case.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Mintkoala
Yes but what do you want to study at uni? If what you want to study doesn’t require further maths then there’s no point of taking it, if you potentially think you won’t like it/won’t get a good enough grade in it. Pick something else in that case.

OK :biggrin:
Original post by pwp1014

For a Maths degree, FM will definitely be something the admissions officer will be looking for (but not necessarily a requirement - some unis won't require you to have it and still take you in without it.)

You also mention History (same here :smile:), which is very different to Maths. Depending on your other subjects, you may be able to pick up FM as a fourth subject. You can then drop it during the year if it feels like too much and stick to just maths (or, drop History if it isn't something you then find yourself enjoying).
Reply 6
Original post by risette
For a Maths degree, FM will definitely be something the admissions officer will be looking for (but not necessarily a requirement - some unis won't require you to have it and still take you in without it.)

You also mention History (same here :smile:), which is very different to Maths. Depending on your other subjects, you may be able to pick up FM as a fourth subject. You can then drop it during the year if it feels like too much and stick to just maths (or, drop History if it isn't something you then find yourself enjoying).

OK thank you :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by pwp1014

I would suggest trying both, and if worse comes to worse, drop Further.
At A-Level, first year Further Maths students finish the whole course in 1 year, which will make normal A-Level Maths a cakewalk for you.
What are the other subjects you are studying may I ask?
Reply 8
Original post by sxlimzz
At A-Level, first year Further Maths students finish the whole course in 1 year, which will make normal A-Level Maths a cakewalk for you.

I'm also picking Music and Psychology, quite a strange combination
Original post by pwp1014

Original post by pwp1014

If you want to do history at uni why aren't you doing the a level? I don't think further is a popular option to 'just do well'. It's tough even if you're good at maths, especially when half your study time you won't be going near numbers. I guess you could give it a go if you're unsure about music or psychology.
Original post by sxlimzz

That does not happen in every school
Original post by pwp1014

Maths, History, Music and Psychology is four already ... you'd need to drop one of these to do FMaths

Quick Reply

Latest