The Student Room Group

Reasonable Adjustments for Neurological disorders and discrimination!

Hi,
Can anyone help me, please? I am a mature student with a list of chronic illnesses and diseases leaving me very disabled. Within these, I suffer from cognitive deficits and neurological functioning disorder.
I am in my second year and fighting for a learning support plan relative to my challenges. They have refused an individualised plan and given me one suitable for a student with dyslexia which I do not have and is not at all relevant to me!

My issue is around syntax and structure but am continually marked down for things I cannot help like using the word "football" by mistake when I meant flashbulb! I am not aware I do this and they know it but will not help me or consider it.

I've been told the content of my work should be marked yet this is ignored by those marking but the uni won't do a thing about it and I am exhausted battling them!

Can anyone advise please? Do you suffer neurological issues also and have the uni helped you at all, please help because I cannot take much more :frown:
Hello. I would prefer not to disclose too much, but I understand the things that you are talking about.

My major question, is have you applied for Disabled Students Allowance (DSA) through student finance since the diagnoses and conditions were identified? This is something that you can initiate, and will trigger a needs assessment. You are likely to find that your university will be quite responsive to a needs assessment report.
Reply 2
Thank you for teaching out but this was done and has been renewed as further diagnosis occurred. The uni have basically said I can have seasonal adjustments suitable for somebody dyslexia or nothing at all! I have done everything possible yet they refuse to individualise any help I receive :frown:
Reply 3
Sorry in terrible pain having had a seizure so I may not make complete sense right now x
Original post by NPST
Thank you for teaching out but this was done and has been renewed as further diagnosis occurred. The uni have basically said I can have seasonal adjustments suitable for somebody dyslexia or nothing at all! I have done everything possible yet they refuse to individualise any help I receive :frown:

Everything related to DSA seems to be in place.
Very difficult because here you hit up against the "standard regulations" of the university, which form part of a contract which you'd have signed up to at the start of the course. You have limited options at this point. If you are considering a formal appeal be prepared for a very exhausting battle.
If your needs assessor can provide a revised report which outlines the unis responsibilities this may help, if you go via disability services.
(edited 1 year ago)
Yoiu have given some slightly odd advice the equality act requires an individual plan it must be tailored to your needs and the University has a duty to assess and make the appropriate adjustments for your disability as far as I understand it in the court would say that some other form of adjustments suitable for somebody else would not meet their duties under the act. I suggest you read some of the following document which tells you what the universities duties are.
https://www.equalityhumanrights.com/en/publication-download/equality-act-2010-technical-guidance-further-and-higher-education

Although universities may suggest it anything you have signed with them does not let them out of any of their duties under the equality act as the act specifically says you cannot contract out of the duties is that contract would automatically be invalid.
I'm commenting as somebody who have experienced the reality of trying to get the adjustments implemented. Simply that.
I cannot afford to pay legal fees for a court battle, and I do not know of many students whose main source of income is a maintenance loan who could.
Therefore being proactive is often best.
Reply 7
Original post by thurstonet
I'm commenting as somebody who have experienced the reality of trying to get the adjustments implemented. Simply that.
I cannot afford to pay legal fees for a court battle, and I do not know of many students whose main source of income is a maintenance loan who could.
Therefore being proactive is often best.

It’s totally horrendous and the universities a law to themselves! So very wrong and I’m so sorry your suffering too… I’ve been battling for two years now :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest