The Student Room Group

Maths and nursing

I know this a fear amongst prospective students, but can any one advise me on what the maths exams entail and can you use a calculator in the exams?!

I am starting a part time nursing degree in September and I consider my maths to be OK, everyday maths like Basic maths I can do. But since I have had my offer, I have been scrubbing up on maths and it’s becoming apparent that I need to study more. My mental arithmetic is terrible! Percentages/ long divisions/ multiplication with decimals I’m really struggling to do without a calculator. Ive been practicing with Q&A’s and with a calculator I get it right so I know the process the maths I just cant do it mentally!
Ive been a HCA for many years, I know I can do it, vocationally and the written assessments/ assignments and placements but I really am dreading the maths. So much I’m considering withdrawing.
If there exams are calculator Im pretty confident!!
I will be a mature student at USW!
Any feedback welcome !
The short answer is that you must have a good level of numeracy and maths. The drugs calculation is only passed if you answer all the questions correctly. We all need to get 100% there. You will be repeating it until you do. Calculators might be allowed, but trust me you won’t do much with it if you do not have good understand of conversions etc.National numeracy challenge can be of good help to see what your level is and where to work.
Good luck! You can do it!
Original post by kimlou_19
I know this a fear amongst prospective students, but can any one advise me on what the maths exams entail and can you use a calculator in the exams?!

I am starting a part time nursing degree in September and I consider my maths to be OK, everyday maths like Basic maths I can do. But since I have had my offer, I have been scrubbing up on maths and it’s becoming apparent that I need to study more. My mental arithmetic is terrible! Percentages/ long divisions/ multiplication with decimals I’m really struggling to do without a calculator. Ive been practicing with Q&A’s and with a calculator I get it right so I know the process the maths I just cant do it mentally!
Ive been a HCA for many years, I know I can do it, vocationally and the written assessments/ assignments and placements but I really am dreading the maths. So much I’m considering withdrawing.
Any feedback welcome !

Registered nurse here.

"long division" isn't something I actually did since GCSE maths.... 15 years ago.

Yes you need to get 100% on your maths to qualify, but yes you do get to use a calculator. I have A level maths; in real life, any strange calculations I have to make I still use a calculator.
Original post by Emily_B
Registered nurse here.

"long division" isn't something I actually did since GCSE maths.... 15 years ago.

Yes you need to get 100% on your maths to qualify, but yes you do get to use a calculator. I have A level maths; in real life, any strange calculations I have to make I still use a calculator.

Agree with you 100% on things Emily about the math's qualifications for nursing.
Don't withdraw as you'll be okay once you have started the course as you'll regret it if you do withdraw and then you'll want to reapply again for the following year perhaps.

Any feedback welcome !

A registered midwife
Reply 4
Thank you all so much for your feedback. I have most definitely been over thinking this and the pressure of letting my team and family down if I was to fail on the Maths!
Thank you all so much for your feedback. I have most definitely been over thinkin:-)

You won’t fail. And if you do, you retake it. The fact that you care tells me you have what we need in nursing. :-)
Thank you all so much for your feedback. I have most definitely been over thinking this and the pressure of letting my team and family down if I was to fail on the Maths!

Providing that you have practiced like you said you have then you'll not have any problems when you come to doing the exams once you start your student nurse degree.
Keep notes on what you learn on placements and revise for the exams then you'll be fine.

Just remember that if you are not sure about things then ask for help with it as your university course leaders are there for you plus on any placements ask questions about things if unsure about it as you'll soon learn what to do okay.
Best of luck with the course ☺️

No worries on feedback 🙂
Hello! I know this is an old thread but was just wondering if the 100% counts towards overall degree classification? Thanks☺️
Original post by annabelxxx
Hello! I know this is an old thread but was just wondering if the 100% counts towards overall degree classification? Thanks☺️

No as it's just to make sure you are capable of doing maths.

You'll have maths throughout your degree as part of exams, assignment and essays. And those are counted towards your overall degree

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending