The Student Room Group

Which age group to choose? Advice needed please

Hi everyone,
I'm really torn between PGCEs - Primary Teaching 3-7 (QTS) and Post-14 Teaching (QTLS).
I've received part-time offers for both. I have experience with both age groups, but more so with younger children. I enjoy working with both age groups. But I have chronic illnesses so need to balance training with this.
For that reason, I thought the Post-14 training may be better as it only requires attendance one day a week, whereas the part-time Primary requires attendance three days a week.
However, despite QTLS being accredited as equivalent to QTS now, I've been advised by my friend who is a teacher to go for the QTS option.
Financial reasons mean I'd have to work too alongside which ever course I do.
Does anyone know which way I should jump please or how to decide? I'm really keen to do this sooner rather than later as my health may mean that in a few years time I'd be too unwell to do the training.
Many thanks 😊
Original post by MuddledRose
Hi everyone,
I'm really torn between PGCEs - Primary Teaching 3-7 (QTS) and Post-14 Teaching (QTLS).
I've received part-time offers for both. I have experience with both age groups, but more so with younger children. I enjoy working with both age groups. But I have chronic illnesses so need to balance training with this.
For that reason, I thought the Post-14 training may be better as it only requires attendance one day a week, whereas the part-time Primary requires attendance three days a week.
However, despite QTLS being accredited as equivalent to QTS now, I've been advised by my friend who is a teacher to go for the QTS option.
Financial reasons mean I'd have to work too alongside which ever course I do.
Does anyone know which way I should jump please or how to decide? I'm really keen to do this sooner rather than later as my health may mean that in a few years time I'd be too unwell to do the training.
Many thanks 😊

Your friend is right that QLTS won't be seen as equivalent to QTS by many schools, and you will leave many more career pathways open if you gain QTS.

There is a huge difference between teaching 3-7 year olds and Post-14 year olds. Have you got experience with both age groups? If not, I would recommend aiming to get experience working with one or both in a school setting, or as close as possible to that. It is hard to advise, as it really depends on your personal preferences.
Original post by bluebeetle
Your friend is right that QLTS won't be seen as equivalent to QTS by many schools, and you will leave many more career pathways open if you gain QTS.

There is a huge difference between teaching 3-7 year olds and Post-14 year olds. Have you got experience with both age groups? If not, I would recommend aiming to get experience working with one or both in a school setting, or as close as possible to that. It is hard to advise, as it really depends on your personal preferences.

Hi! Thank you for your comment. I do have experience with both, and enjoy both age groups for obviously very different reasons! I even did a pros and cons list, but came out with exactly the same amount of pros and cons for each option - so I am no clearer.
Original post by MuddledRose
Hi! Thank you for your comment. I do have experience with both, and enjoy both age groups for obviously very different reasons! I even did a pros and cons list, but came out with exactly the same amount of pros and cons for each option - so I am no clearer.

I suppose the main difference is whether you are really keen to focus on your one specific subject (in which case secondary is better) or whether you're more interested in following along the development in all subjects of one specific group of kids for a whole year (in which case, go for primary).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending