The Student Room Group

Queerfic! (LGBTQ+ books)

For Pride Month, let's hear all your awesome queer book reccomendations! :dance:

This can be any book with queer characters, themes, authors - you can go wild :biggrin:

I've not been reading as much as I want lately because of uni keeping me busy, but I've really enjoyed rereading the Sandman comics ahead of the Netflix show. I think they definitely count as queerfic. A Game of You, the fifth book, always makes me cry :cry:

@BurstingBubbles

Scroll to see replies

I really want to read Heartstopper (since I watched the Netflix series)! :yep:

Tagging in @shadowdweller who reads lots of Queerfic and I'm sure will have recommendations :biggrin:
Original post by BurstingBubbles

Tagging in @shadowdweller who reads lots of Queerfic and I'm sure will have recommendations :biggrin:

Ooh what's it like? I've heard so much but been in exam hell - would it be a nice relaxing summer watch while waiting for results? :smile:

*waits excitedly for shadow* :biggrin:
Original post by becausethenight
For Pride Month, let's hear all your awesome queer book reccomendations! :dance:

This can be any book with queer characters, themes, authors - you can go wild :biggrin:

I've not been reading as much as I want lately because of uni keeping me busy, but I've really enjoyed rereading the Sandman comics ahead of the Netflix show. I think they definitely count as queerfic. A Game of You, the fifth book, always makes me cry :cry:

@BurstingBubbles

Tell it to the bees is a good one. Also Heartstopper on netflix is adorable, deffo watch it.
Original post by RandomE
Tell it to the bees is a good one. Also Heartstopper on netflix is adorable, deffo watch it.

Is that a film? I'm only getting films when I google it!

I'll definitely check out Heartstopper :heart: The graphic novels look so cute too!
Is that a film? I'm only getting films when I google it!

I'll definitely check out Heartstopper :heart: The graphic novels look so cute too!

No it’s a novel by fiona shaw, watched the film and unfortunately it doesn’t do it justice ha
Original post by RandomE
No it’s a novel by fiona shaw, watched the film and unfortunately it doesn’t do it justice ha

Ahh I see, sorry when I looked it up I just saw the film! What makes it such a good novel :smile:
Ahh I see, sorry when I looked it up I just saw the film! What makes it such a good novel :smile:

It’s alright ha. The way the characters are presented just makes it so easy to fall in love and relate to them i guess. It was also one of the first LGBT friendly hard copy books I read so it holds a special place in my heart.
The other day I was in a bookstore waiting for the train and saw a book called young mungo, not even sure if its any good but the cover is two guys making out and I just stood there admiring it :smile:
Original post by BurstingBubbles

I have SO MANY potential recommendations :gah:

@becausethenight do you have any favourite genres and/or tropes?

As a start point, Amanda Radley and Emma Sterner-Radley both write wonderful Sapphic fiction, and Drew Hayes writes some awesome books with queer side characters :yep:

Also, Alice Oseman who wrote Heartstopper has some other books that are well worth reading, and have really good LGBT+ representation - for instance, Loveless has an aro ace character :pride:
Original post by shadowdweller
I have SO MANY potential recommendations :gah:

@becausethenight do you have any favourite genres and/or tropes?

As a start point, Amanda Radley and Emma Sterner-Radley both write wonderful Sapphic fiction, and Drew Hayes writes some awesome books with queer side characters :yep:

Also, Alice Oseman who wrote Heartstopper has some other books that are well worth reading, and have really good LGBT+ representation - for instance, Loveless has an aro ace character :pride:

OMG kind of anything :nutcase: I tend to read a lot of sci-fi and fantasy, but I've read a decent amount of queer SF&F so maybe I should be branching out? I literally cried when I last read a book with a non-binary character (and they were a very minor character :rofl:) so would love, or ace or greyace rep!
I can't read anything medical (eg doctor/nurse romances) because it's too much like the day job :tongue:

Both of those two look to have so many amazing books (and they're married, OMG :heart:) - the Mapmaking Magicians series in particular looks like it might be right up my street, so will definitely have a look :biggrin:

Ooh I didn't realise she had other books! I realised I can read all of Hearstopper on Tumblr so I might do that while waiitng for my uni library to buy me the graphic novels :laugh:
Original post by RandomE
It’s alright ha. The way the characters are presented just makes it so easy to fall in love and relate to them i guess. It was also one of the first LGBT friendly hard copy books I read so it holds a special place in my heart.

Awww I know what you mean, the first ones are always special - I remember seeing Carol in the cinema (I know it's not a book, sorry :tongue:) and it was just so overwhelming to see a lesbian love story that it would have been amazing whatever!
Original post by ran-dumb
The other day I was in a bookstore waiting for the train and saw a book called young mungo, not even sure if its any good but the cover is two guys making out and I just stood there admiring it :smile:

Yes I've seen that! Me and my friend were inspecting it in a bookshop and trying to decide if it would be too depressing based on the flyjacket :rofl: The cover is great though, especially seeing it on huge posters :biggrin:
Awww I know what you mean, the first ones are always special - I remember seeing Carol in the cinema (I know it's not a book, sorry :tongue:) and it was just so overwhelming to see a lesbian love story that it would have been amazing whatever!

O my days i loved carol, must have been so special to watch in cinema. If we’re going down films/tv series there’s a series on netflix called first kill that’s a lesbian vampire kind of thing. Recommend fs.
Original post by RandomE
O my days i loved carol, must have been so special to watch in cinema. If we’re going down films/tv series there’s a series on netflix called first kill that’s a lesbian vampire kind of thing. Recommend fs.

It was my great awakening, so kind of awkward I was there with my mum :lol: I have heard about First Kill, I think - my flatmate wants to watch it!
It was my great awakening, so kind of awkward I was there with my mum :lol: I have heard about First Kill, I think - my flatmate wants to watch it!

Makes a good story though. Ha. Did your mum know it was sapphic when she went watching it with you? Definitely do what your flatmate wants you to, she’s got some good ideas ha
Original post by RandomE
Makes a good story though. Ha. Did your mum know it was sapphic when she went watching it with you? Definitely do what your flatmate wants you to, she’s got some good ideas ha

Yes, I think so :tongue:
Once exams are over!
Yes, I think so :tongue:
Once exams are over!

That’s cool. Don’t reckon I’d be able to watch carol with my mum reckon I’d get embarassssed.
Good luck with your exams, hope they aint stressing you out too much.
Original post by RandomE
That’s cool. Don’t reckon I’d be able to watch carol with my mum reckon I’d get embarassssed.
Good luck with your exams, hope they aint stressing you out too much.

Cheers :smile: Not long to go now, just until Thursday.

My mum is unshockable so it’s OK :lol: I don’t find that I’ve had the “my parents saw queer folx on TV and understood”, though - what took the biscuit was the NB sex education character, as my mum went “oh that’s so difficult, the poor child, it’s great that you don’t feel like that at all” :tongue:
Cheers :smile: Not long to go now, just until Thursday.

My mum is unshockable so it’s OK :lol: I don’t find that I’ve had the “my parents saw queer folx on TV and understood”, though - what took the biscuit was the NB sex education character, as my mum went “oh that’s so difficult, the poor child, it’s great that you don’t feel like that at all” :tongue:

That’s good, mine finished on Friday and I’m giving myself a week to chill then off to find a part time job I go.

Ha, can imagine the response you’d want to give to that. I guess it’s positive that she’s watching the show and seeing how it could be confusing to be/feel NB.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending