The Student Room Group

Can I get second degree funding for Nutrition?

I am a Linguistics graduate and am thinking of changing course to become a nutritionist.
I would need funding for a second degree, but don't know if Nutrition counts as one of the Allied Health subjects.

I've read that any course that I could receive funding for would need to have Dietetics in the title, but in some areas I've seen the subject name written as 'Dietetics/nutrition'. Is this Dietetics AND Nutrition or Dietetics OR Nutrition?

If I wanted to study just Nutrition specifically to become a Nutritionist and not a dietitian, could I get full funding for tuition fees and maintenance loans from Student Finance?

If not, could I feasibly study a Nutrition and Dietetics course with a view towards becoming a Registered Nutritionist?

Thanks
Original post by usignolarosa
I am a Linguistics graduate and am thinking of changing course to become a nutritionist.
I would need funding for a second degree, but don't know if Nutrition counts as one of the Allied Health subjects.

I've read that any course that I could receive funding for would need to have Dietetics in the title, but in some areas I've seen the subject name written as 'Dietetics/nutrition'. Is this Dietetics AND Nutrition or Dietetics OR Nutrition?

If I wanted to study just Nutrition specifically to become a Nutritionist and not a dietitian, could I get full funding for tuition fees and maintenance loans from Student Finance?

If not, could I feasibly study a Nutrition and Dietetics course with a view towards becoming a Registered Nutritionist?

Thanks

Hello,

The following are Allied Health Professional (AHP) courses:

Chiropody
Dental hygiene (Honours degree, diploma or foundation degree)
Dental therapy (Honours degree, diploma or foundation degree)
Dental hygiene and dental therapy (Joint or dual honours)
Dietetics
Dietetics and nutrition*
Midwifery (Degree or diploma level)
Nursing (Degree or diploma level)
Nursing and social work** (Dual honours)
Occupational therapy
Operating department practice (Degree or diploma level)
Orthoptics
Physiotherapy
Podiatry
Prosthetics and Orthotics
Radiography
Radiotherapy
Speech and language therapy

*Nutrition on its own is not classed as an AHP

AHP courses are exempt from previous study and Equivalent Level Qualification (ELQ) rules. Therefore, if you already hold a degree or have previous study, you'll still be eligible to access the full package of funding (Tuition Fees, Maintenance Loan, Supplementary Grants and Disabled Student Allowance if applicable), however, you must not be professionally registered in the subject of study.

You would need to speak with your university, regarding this 'If not, could I feasibly study a Nutrition and Dietetics course with a view towards becoming a Registered Nutritionist?'.

Thanks, Lynsey.
Thank you so much!
Original post by Lynsey SFE
Hello,

Chiropody
Dietetics
Dietetics and nutrition*
Occupational therapy
Orthoptics
Physiotherapy
Podiatry
Radiography
Radiotherapy

AHP courses are exempt from previous study and Equivalent Level Qualification (ELQ) rules. Therefore, if you already hold a degree or have previous study, you'll still be eligible to access the full package of funding (Tuition Fees, Maintenance Loan, Supplementary Grants and Disabled Student Allowance if applicable), however, you must not be professionally registered in the subject of study.

You would need to speak with your university, regarding this 'If not, could I feasibly study a Nutrition and Dietetics course with a view towards becoming a Registered Nutritionist?'.

Thanks, Lynsey.
Hello,

Chiropody
Dietetics
Dietetics and nutrition*
Occupational therapy
Orthoptics
Physiotherapy
Podiatry
Radiography
Radiotherapy

Thanks, Lynsey.

Hi Lynsey,

Actually I've been doing some research and I've found out that I can apply for Part Time Fee Loan if i'm studying a science related subject.

Is there a full a list of which subjects these are?
I would be interested in Nutrition, Biology, Biochemistry and maybe some others

Also, is this fully funded for the whole 6 years of the part time course and could I apply for a maintenance loan?

Thanks!
Hi Lynsey,

Actually I've been doing some research and I've found out that I can apply for Part Time Fee Loan if i'm studying a science related subject.

Is there a full a list of which subjects these are?
I would be interested in Nutrition, Biology, Biochemistry and maybe some others

Also, is this fully funded for the whole 6 years of the part time course and could I apply for a maintenance loan?

Thanks!

Hello,

Do you hold a qualification?

Thanks, Lynsey.
Hello,

Do you hold a qualification?

Thanks, Lynsey.

I have Biology, Chemistry and Physics GCSEs at B-C-B respectively and Psychology A-Level at A (also studied Spanish and History).

I would take an access course to enter into a science related degree

Thanks
I have Biology, Chemistry and Physics GCSEs at B-C-B respectively and Psychology A-Level at A (also studied Spanish and History).

I would take an access course to enter into a science related degree

Thanks

Hi there,

There isn't a list of these for part time. You would need to tell us the course and university you wish to study with and we can check if this course would be eligible or not for 2nd degree funding. If the course is eligible this would be for the length of the course.

Thanks,
Claire

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending