The Student Room Group

Daughter wants to apply for medicine but yr 12 grades ,A,B,C.unlikely to succeed?

Should she reconsider ?

Scroll to see replies

Is there in any way she could resit the exams and boost the b and c up? Is she eligible for foundation years too because if she is, I think those grades are acceptable
Reply 2
Original post by PastelColours
Is there in any way she could resit the exams and boost the b and c up? Is she eligible for foundation years too because if she is, I think those grades are acceptable

She wants to resit in September but is jump to 3 As doable ?
Is doing chem, biology and DT
Original post by Yr12mum

What did she get the b and c in?
Gap year, resit if needed, apply then. That's the algorithm, unless she has widening participation flags that make her eligible for medicine with a foundation year courses (which are not for people in general who don't have the grades to get into medicine - it's specifically for people from backgrounds underrepresented in medicine who due to systemic barriers are unlikely to meet the standard criteria but who could succeed on the course with that support).
Original post by Yr12mum

What grades has she been working at?
If these grades weren't uncharacteristic of her, then she probably wouldn't have high enough predicted grades to apply. As above she will need to take a gap year and apply with achieved grades at or above the required standard for each of her choices.
Reply 7
Original post by PastelColours
What did she get the b and c in?

Chem and biology
Reply 8
Original post by Muttley79
What grades has she been working at?

Bbc
Original post by Yr12mum
Bbc

She will really struggle to get the grades for medicine. The fact you are here asking these questions and not here is also rather telling.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 10
Original post by girl_in_black
She will really struggle to get the grades for medicine. The fact you are here asking theses questions and not here is also rather telling.

She remains resolute and wants to study over summer but bit of a worry
Original post by Yr12mum
Should she reconsider ?

I suggest that she does another undergrad course related to the STEM field like Biological Sciences, Natural Sciences, Biomedical Sciences etc. Then she can apply for Graduate Medicine after graduation.

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/medicine-graduate-course
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Wired_1800
I suggest that she does another undergrad course related to the STEM field like Biological Sciences, Natural Sciences, Biomedical Sciences etc. Then she can apply for Graduate Medicine after graduation.

Thanks. All replies helpful
Hi there.

Graduate entry medicine is much more competitive than standard undergrad medicine. There's a risk that your daughter may not get a place so taking a gap year, resitting and reapplying may be better if her heart is set on medicine. or @GANFYD could confirm this. :smile:

There are students who resit A levels and are able to secure places for med school, by applying strategically, so it can be done. Myself and @WTSBLG included.:smile:

Best wishes.

Original post by Yr12mum
Should she reconsider ?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Wired_1800

As above, GEM is not designed for students who fail to get the grades the first time round, to do another degree then have another crack at the nut. It's designed for people who started another degree or already completed one who subsequently decided to go into medicine - not those who know that's their aim from the outset.

GEM is considerably more competitive than standard entry medicine, and there are serious financial ramifications of GEM courses as students do not get full SFE funding on those courses (or on standard entry courses as a graduate).

School leavers are always far better off taking one or even several gap years to improve their application, than do a degree they have no interest in to have next to no chance of getting into medicine later anyway.
Original post by Yr12mum
Bbc

That's not encouraging as she's nowhere near where she needs to be.

What do her school say? Does she understand why she's not working at higher grades?
Original post by Yr12mum
Should she reconsider ?

Unfortunately, her grades do not meet the entry requirements of any medical school even with widening participation. All medical schools with the exception of KMMS (AAB) require AAA or above; some widening participation schemes like Newcastle partners do drop the requirements to BBB.
There comes a point where as a parent you need to be realistic with your child and say it is not possible to do <insert subject here>/<insert uni here> because you are simply not performing at the required academic standard. I agree that resitting etc. is far better than GEM but at the same time if she is getting BBC now, what makes she/you/the school think she'll get AAA at least?
Reply 18
Original post by Blue_Cow
There comes a point where as a parent you need to be realistic with your child and say it is not possible to do <insert subject here>/<insert uni here> because you are simply not performing at the required academic standard. I agree that resitting etc. is far better than GEM but at the same time if she is getting BBC now, what makes she/you/the school think she'll get AAA at least?

Yes.She has over a year to improve I suppose. Slow start in yr 12 post covid ?
Her decision, not mine though.
just wondered if any students out there have seen a jump in grades after yr 12 summer exams
If your daughter remains set on medicine but doesn't get the grades it might be worth applying for a foundation year (many of these have widening participation entry requirements but usually offer BBB or above). Here's a link to a list of universities with foundation yrs - https://medmentor.co.uk/blog/what-is-a-medicine-foundation-course

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending