The Student Room Group

Strange man offered me a ride home..

The title.
I was walking it home from Lidl and a middle aged man with his windows down let me cross the road (he stopped the car). I thanked him and went along my way. I noticed he was looking at me rather intently but I didn’t think much of it. That was until he started FOLLOWING me in his car. He slowed his car down to match my pace and asked me something. I had my earphones in and didn’t hear much, but I asked if he could repeat himself and he said ‘would you like a ride home?’ I was taken aback by this man who looked like he had good intentions, ask me this. (I’m 16 years old). I didn’t panic and politely declined.
He asked again, asking if I was sure as he’s going ‘down that way’ and pointed down the road. I said no again and he sped off

How terrifying. He seemed like he was nice but no middle aged man has got good intentions when asking a teenage girl to get into his car

Scroll to see replies

Yh no guy that randomly asks you if you want a lift has good intentions unfortunately. If it happens again (hopefully it doesn't) call someone and send them your location so they know where you are.
Original post by jazz7080
Yh no guy that randomly asks you if you want a lift has good intentions unfortunately. If it happens again (hopefully it doesn't) call someone and send them your location so they know where you are.

I will do! I told my mum as soon as it happened and my cousins. My dad has my location, though he doesn’t check it often (mostly bc I don’t go out much ahah) 😐
The man DEFINITELY had bad intentions. I’ve heard all the stories about men luring women into their cars to do god knows what. I’m so glad he sped off when I said no the 2nd time, else I probably wouldn’t be here to tell the story
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Caaaaaats129
The title.
I was walking it home from Lidl and a middle aged man with his windows down let me cross the road (he stopped the car). I thanked him and went along my way. I noticed he was looking at me rather intently but I didn’t think much of it. That was until he started FOLLOWING me in his car. He slowed his car down to match my pace and asked me something. I had my earphones in and didn’t hear much, but I asked if he could repeat himself and he said ‘would you like a ride home?’ I was taken aback by this man who looked like he had good intentions, ask me this. (I’m 16 years old). I didn’t panic and politely declined.
He asked again, asking if I was sure as he’s going ‘down that way’ and pointed down the road. I said no again and he sped off

How terrifying. He seemed like he was nice but no middle aged man has got good intentions when asking a teenage girl to get into his car

Some might have good intentions, it depends on the situation though...

You did the right thing though - I would never get into a vehicle with someone I didn't know (if they randomly offered to do so, and it wasn't some Uber or something).
Always trust your gut instinct and listen to what your common sense is telling you. :smile:
It is best not to take lifts from strangers at night.
Nor anyone who gives you a bad vibe, no matter what time of the day it is.
Original post by sufys
Some might have good intentions, it depends on the situation though...

You did the right thing though - I would never get into a vehicle with someone I didn't know (if they randomly offered to do so, and it wasn't some Uber or something).

That’s true, but I don’t think he had good intentions due to the circumstances. I’m a young girl, walking contently, wasn’t in distress nor was I lost or expressed that I needed help. So once I was home, I realised there was no true reason to offer me a ride. I hope I’m wrong though!
Yes I agree, it’s such a terrifying thought when you think of the possible consequences
Original post by londonmyst
Always trust your gut instinct and listen to what your common sense is telling you. :smile:
It is best not to take lifts from strangers at night.
Nor anyone who gives you a bad vibe, no matter what time of the day it is.

Thank you! I agree, I’d NEVER get into anyone’s car unless it’s a taxi, a trusted family member or friend.
The title.

Did you take the car reg and report?
He was white..? Lol wth
Original post by Muttley79
Did you take the car reg and report?

I should have, but the whole situation left me so shaken and apprehensive, I didn’t. When I was telling my friend about this, she also mentioned this, I wish I looked at it at least but it was the last thing running through my mind
I should have, but the whole situation left me so shaken and apprehensive, I didn’t. When I was telling my friend about this, she also mentioned this, I wish I looked at it at least but it was the last thing running through my mind

I still think it would be worth reporting where it was and any description of the car and the man.
I still think it would be worth reporting where it was and any description of the car and the man.

I’d do this. Thank you. How would I go about this?
I’d do this. Thank you. How would I go about this?

I would write down everything you can remember now - then phone 101 with as many details as you can tomorrow.
I would write down everything you can remember now - then phone 101 with as many details as you can tomorrow.

Thank you. I’ll do this, I hope no one falls victim to this scum
i’m so sorry this happened to you ! i’m glad you’re safe, if there’s any way you can warn your local community about it (eg post a warning in a facebook group) then you may be able to help protect anyone else who’s targeted by this
Thank you. I’ll do this, I hope no one falls victim to this scum

You did the right thing and by reporting you might prevent someone falling prey to this man. Look after yourself :smile:
Original post by okayykayy
i’m so sorry this happened to you ! i’m glad you’re safe, if there’s any way you can warn your local community about it (eg post a warning in a facebook group) then you may be able to help protect anyone else who’s targeted by this

Thank you! I plan on doing this to warn anyone younger and perhaps more naive
Original post by anniisa97
Well you just fell right on your face… that’s got to be embarrassing. Imagine exposing yourself as a blatant racist who wants to bet money and then being told you’re wrong then and there.

Agreed. How embarrassing
you should not accept lifts from anyone you do not know. that includes women.
Original post by the bear
you should not accept lifts from anyone you do not know. that includes women.

Absolutely not. Agreed! I’ve never gotten into a car with someone I’m not 100% comfortable with (only family and close friends)

Latest