The Student Room Group

Masters or a PGCE

How true is this… after your masters degree in education you’ll have to do a PGCE… is that true? I actually studied computer science in education. I don’t know if I should do a masters or a pgce

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well, if you want to teach in a state-maintained school you will need QTS. The most direct way to get this is generally via a PGCE but there are other means to that end, too (School Direct etc).
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by gjd800
Well, if you want to teach in a state-maintained school you will need QTS. The most direct way to get this is generally via a PGCE but there are other means to that end, too (School Direct etc).

How do I apply for school direct when I’m not yet in the Uk? I thought it’s for only residence of the country
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
How do I apply for school direct when I’m not yet in the Uk? I thought it’s for only residence of the country

You did not specify that you aren't in the UK...
Reply 4
But to answer - I'm not sure what the requirements are outside of the following:

https://www.ucas.com/teaching-option/school-direct-salaried

Some School Direct settings will see you come out with a PGCE, but I know four people that have done them at various places (and I trained with a couple more) and they didn't get the PGCE but did get QTS.

If you want to teach in a state school in the UK a PGCE might be easiest option.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by gjd800
You did not specify that you aren't in the UK...

Sorry though. Specifications known now.
I am actually looking for the best route to teaching. I read computer science education in Nigeria. I really don’t know if I should do a masters or pgce because I heard if you do a masters in education, you’ll have to still do a pgce. I don’t know how true is that. If after doing a masters in education and I’ll still have to do a pgce, it’s better I do the pgce straight and ditch the masters
Reply 6
Sorry though. Specifications known now.
I am actually looking for the best route to teaching. I read computer science education in Nigeria. I really don’t know if I should do a masters or pgce because I heard if you do a masters in education, you’ll have to still do a pgce. I don’t know how true is that. If after doing a masters in education and I’ll still have to do a pgce, it’s better I do the pgce straight and ditch the masters

To teach in a state school, you will be better served with a PGCE that also gives QTS. Private schools are less fussy sometimes, but a lot of those like the PGCE now, too. Higher qualifications are nice (and schools like them), but they don't automatically qualify you to teach in most schools. For example, I already held a PhD when I did my PGCE.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by gjd800
To teach in a state school, you will be better served with a PGCE that also gives QTS. Private schools are less fussy sometimes, but a lot of those like the PGCE now, too. Higher qualifications are nice (and schools like them), but they don't automatically qualify you to teach in most schools. For example, I already held a PhD when I did my PGCE.

Wow… thanks for this! Meaning the pgce is a pre requisite to teaching. Hence PGCE first before masters. Well understood! Thank you!
Reply 8
Wow… thanks for this! Meaning the pgce is a pre requisite to teaching. Hence PGCE first before masters. Well understood! Thank you!

You can do it in any order, really, but if you want to get into teaching ASAP then first doing a PGCE with Qualified Teacher Status is probably your best bet :smile:
Reply 9
Thank you!
Reply 10
Original post by Merosa
Yes…
Is it possible to change your course after getting a conditional offer?

To something entirely different? I'm not sure, I don't have much experience with that, and UCAS Teacher Training is a different application process than applying for Master's degrees etc. Perhaps someone else can offer some direction :smile:
Original post by gjd800
To something entirely different? I'm not sure, I don't have much experience with that, and UCAS Teacher Training is a different application process than applying for Master's degrees etc. Perhaps someone else can offer some direction :smile:

Can you apply for a different course after getting an offer in the same university?
Reply 12
Can you apply for a different course after getting an offer in the same university?

After thinking about it for a second, they are different processes and the interview procedures for PGCE are stringent. So my feeling is that if you apply for a different course they will not look favourably on you for either, because it is quite flighty. I.e. it looks as though you lack commitment.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by gjd800
After thinking about it for a second, they are different processes and the interview procedures for PGCE are stringent. So my feeling is that if you apply for a different course they will not look favourably on you for either, because it is quite flighty. I.e. it looks as though you lack commitment.

True though😭😭😭😭
This was informative. I would to know if there are any services for writing PGCE personal statement.
Also, I would like to know if a person is experienced in teaching in other countries than UK , can that person do PGCE in secondary education?
Original post by saadiamaq
Also, I would like to know if a person is experienced in teaching in other countries than UK , can that person do PGCE in secondary education?

Provided you have the relevant entry qualifications, sure.
Original post by gjd800
Provided you have the relevant entry qualifications, sure.

Thank you for the prompt response. I would like to know if you have any idea about personal statement services or if you could help or guide me. I am lost with this.
Original post by saadiamaq
Thank you for the prompt response. I would like to know if you have any idea about personal statement services or if you could help or guide me. I am lost with this.

Afraid not. better to write your own.
Original post by gjd800
Afraid not. better to write your own.

Okay, thank you. Have you done your PGCE and in what subject. How was the experience?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending