The Student Room Group

Swapping maths for psychology instead of maths a levels for dentistry

Today I had my induction day and did a taster session for all my chosen a level subjects(maths,chemistry and biology). I also decided to try the psychology session and really enjoyed it and when it came to my maths one, I started to feel like I'll just end up hating it at a level and get a B which will look bad for my dental school application . Is it worth swapping maths out for psychology? Will this affect my chances of getting into dental schools? Should I take AS maths just incase as a 4th subject?
Original post by silentwanderer
Today I had my induction day and did a taster session for all my chosen a level subjects(maths,chemistry and biology). I also decided to try the psychology session and really enjoyed it and when it came to my maths one, I started to feel like I'll just end up hating it at a level and get a B which will look bad for my dental school application . Is it worth swapping maths out for psychology? Will this affect my chances of getting into dental schools? Should I take AS maths just incase as a 4th subject?

Hi there.

I'm not fully aware of the subject requirements for dentistry so will tag @hungrysalamander and @Mesopotamian. :smile: So long as you meet the uni entry requirements, your application won't be negatively impacted for not doing Maths so don't worry.

Best wishes. :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)

Doing Psychology instead of maths will not harm your application, especially if you are right and would achieve a better grade in Psychology than Maths. If you can start 4, including maths, and then drop one later it may be a good idea. Maths may not prove as hateful as you expect and Psychology may not turn out to be what you think it is from the taster.
Taking or not taking maths has no impact on your application to dental school whatsoever. Getting a B will however as you need a minimum of AAA for most schools (A*AA for some). So pick the subject that you’re more confident you’ll get an A in.

Original post by TriplexA
Hi there.

I'm not fully aware of the subject requirements for dentistry so will tag @hungrysalamander and @Mesopotamian. :smile: So long as you meet the uni entry requirements, your application won't be negatively impacted for not doing Maths so don't worry.

Best wishes. :smile:

Thanks for the tag :smile:
Original post by Mesopotamian.
Taking or not taking maths has no impact on your application to dental school whatsoever. Getting a B will however as you need a minimum of AAA for most schools (A*AA for some). So pick the subject that you’re more confident you’ll get an A in.

Thanks for the tag :smile:

Yeah, I think I'm more confident in getting an A in psychology. I'll most likely swap so I'm also not stuck in a subject I may end up hating. Thanks for the advice :smile:
Yeah, I think I'm more confident in getting an A in psychology. I'll most likely swap so I'm also not stuck in a subject I may end up hating. Thanks for the advice :smile:

No worries, good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest