The Student Room Group

Racism & Grades

My son is in a London based school and the school has awarded him poor grades even though when I compare his answer paper, to answer paper of his white friend, it was obvious to me that my son was discriminated against. When I brought this to notice of the teacher concerned, he improved the marks but refused to increase predicted grade for University.

I have heard from other black and Asian parents that the teacher is racist.

Has anyone any experience of suing the school against racism? What evidence is required? Any chance of this being successful as the teacher is adamant. I have requested him over past 2 weeks to change the grade, he simply refuses to do so.
This definitely happened.
Original post by rajkundra

Has anyone any experience of suing the school against racism? What evidence is required? Any chance of this being successful as the teacher is adamant. I have requested him over past 2 weeks to change the grade, he simply refuses to do so.

Academic judgment on predicted grades will lie the teachers and not parents/student, and the breadth of work they have seen.

However A-levels will be marked externally without knowledge of who your son is, and the teacher cant influence them. The actual A-level papers are ultimately what really matter.
Reply 3
Original post by mnot
Academic judgment on predicted grades will lie the teachers and not parents/student, and the breadth of work they have seen.

However A-levels will be marked externally without knowledge of who your son is, and the teacher cant influence them. The actual A-level papers are ultimately what really matter.

University applications are based on predictable grades.

Anycase, I want to understand if anyone has experience of suing schools on racial discrimination. If yes, what kind of evidence is required? I can produce atleast 8-10 witnesses against the teacher.
University applications are based on predictable grades.

Anycase, I want to understand if anyone has experience of suing schools on racial discrimination. If yes, what kind of evidence is required? I can produce atleast 8-10 witnesses against the teacher.

Suing doesn't really happen in the UK. Sounds like a troll.

However, if you're an actual parent (or for anyone else), I've reported a teacher before. Go to a deputy headteacher to report the teacher, not the whole school, and list several quotes and examples of discrimination. Then, wait for it to be dealt with.
Reply 5
Original post by SagaciousSag
Suing doesn't really happen in the UK. Sounds like a troll.

However, if you're an actual parent (or for anyone else), I've reported a teacher before. Go to a deputy headteacher to report the teacher, not the whole school, and list several quotes and examples of discrimination. Then, wait for it to be dealI

I am not a troll, I am just gathering information as there definitely is good evidence of racism.

I have spoken to the Head teacher previously on another subject, he avoids confronting his teachers on issues. Its not just me, it is other parents, who have expressed interest in coming forward as witness. Few of them are also interested in funding the lawyer fees. However, I have not seen any cases of school sued by the students against racial discrimination. But demography of London has changed, so I think in future it is likely to happen if there is evidence of discrimination.
I am not a troll, I am just gathering information as there definitely is good evidence of racism.

I have spoken to the Head teacher previously on another subject, he avoids confronting his teachers on issues. Its not just me, it is other parents, who have expressed interest in coming forward as witness. Few of them are also interested in funding the lawyer fees. However, I have not seen any cases of school sued by the students against racial discrimination. But demography of London has changed, so I think in future it is likely to happen if there is evidence of discrimination.

Go to the Governors if you are not happy with a response to a formal written complaint.
One answer paper does not dictate predicated grades.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending