The Student Room Group

Do I need geography GCSE or a level to do finance or economics in the future?

I currently picked geography for my GCSE, but I don’t think I am that good at it neither do I really like it. Instead I really want to do art. However in the future I want to do a major more going towards perhaps finance or economics, so I was wondering weather or not I need the subject geography to do those two majors.
Original post by infires-
I currently picked geography for my GCSE, but I don’t think I am that good at it neither do I really like it. Instead I really want to do art. However in the future I want to do a major more going towards perhaps finance or economics, so I was wondering weather or not I need the subject geography to do those two majors.

No you don't - do subjects you enjoy as you'll get better grades.
Hello, to do economics a good grade in maths is wanted and your optional subjects don’t really matter as long as you achieve decent grades in them, there may be some preferred gcses that may give you a boost with getting into economics A-level like the further maths gcse but it isn’t a mandatory requirement. Hope this helps!
Reply 3
Okay I see, thank you so much!
Original post by Muttley79
No you don't - do subjects you enjoy as you'll get better grades.
Reply 4
This helped a lot, thank you so much!
Original post by QuestionAsker27
Hello, to do economics a good grade in maths is wanted and your optional subjects don’t really matter as long as you achieve decent grades in them, there may be some preferred gcses that may give you a boost with getting into economics A-level like the further maths gcse but it isn’t a mandatory requirement. Hope this helps!
In terms of getting into university, an A-level in maths, economics, or accountancy is preferred but you can also do a BTEC level 3 maths course and BTEC courses which link to economics and finance. Geography isn’t required to get into university for economics and finance but it is a good GCSE/A-level to do if you are interested in going abroad or anything like that.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 6
I think I will most likely be doing a-level maths and economics. Thank you for your suggestion!
In terms of getting into university, an A-level in maths, economics, or accountancy is preferred but you can also do a BTEC level 3 maths and BTEC courses which link to economics and finance. Geography isn’t required to get into university to do economics and finance but it is a good GCSE/A-level to do if you are interested im going abroad or anything.
(edited 1 year ago)

No, that's not needed at all - we don't even bother to offer it as it's a waste of time.
Original post by infires-
I think I will most likely be doing a-level maths and economics. Thank you for your suggestion!

Hi, A-level maths Includes most of the topics covered in economics e.g. statistics, so I recommend taking a subject which you like more e.g. art instead of economics but if you like economics then no problem.
No, that's not needed at all - we don't even bother to offer it as it's a waste of time.

Hi, I didn’t say that it’s needed but it is a good subject to get a good grade in when applying for economics and finance based courses.
Hi, I didn’t say that it’s needed but it is a good subject to get a good grade in when applying for economics and finance based courses.

No - grade 9 GCSE Maths just as good - they can't take it into account because many schools don't offer it. It will make zero difference -
(edited 1 year ago)
No - grade 9 GCSE Maths just as good - they can't take it into account because many schools don't offer it. It will make zero difference -

Ah, ok thanks for clearing that up.

Quick Reply

Latest