The Student Room Group

Maths GCSE equivalent

Hey there. I'm really confused. I have my maths entry level, level 1 and 2. I'm trying to get onto a nursing degree. Is this the same as functional skills Maths? I believe the name has just changed slightly but I'm unsure. Any help much appreciated
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by kayleethom
Hey there. I'm really confused. I have my maths entry level, level 1 and 2. I'm trying to get onto a nursing degree. Is this the same as functional skills Maths? I believe the name has just changed slightly but I'm unsure. Any help much appreciated

What exactly does it say on the certificate?
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
What exactly does it say on the certificate?

Level 2 certificate in adult numeracy

What GCSE are needed for a nurse.
Entry requirements

You'll usually need: 4 or 5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C), or equivalent, including English, maths and science. 2 or 3 A levels, including a science, or a level 3 diploma or access to higher education in health, science or nursing

Do you need GCSE maths to be a nurse
You need to have GCSEs in both English and maths (or other equivalent Level 2 qualifications), with a grade C or higher. You will also need to prove you have the personal capabilities needed to become a nurse
Level 2 certificate in adult numeracy

Original post by Littleemma98
What GCSE are needed for a nurse.
Entry requirements

You'll usually need: 4 or 5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C), or equivalent, including English, maths and science. 2 or 3 A levels, including a science, or a level 3 diploma or access to higher education in health, science or nursing

Do you need GCSE maths to be a nurse
You need to have GCSEs in both English and maths (or other equivalent Level 2 qualifications), with a grade C or higher. You will also need to prove you have the personal capabilities needed to become a nurse

Those are the minimum entry requirements for nursing courses at universities as each university sets it own entry requirements so check your chosen university for there requirements.
Reply 5
I'm so confused and potentially devastated right now. I have maths level 2 adult numeracy and cannot find anywhere it's equivalent.
(edited 1 year ago)
I'm so confused and potentially devastated right now. I have maths level 2 adult numeracy and cannot find anywhere it's equivalent.

This Functional Skills Mathematics course at Level 2 is equivalent to a GCSE Grade C or Grade 4 in Maths.
Hope this answers your questions.

One thread is enough for the same question you are asking about.

What is a level 2 maths equivalent to.

This Functional Skills Mathematics course at Level 2 is equivalent to a GCSE Grade C or Grade 4 in Maths.
Reply 7
Hope this answers your questions.

One thread is enough for the same question you are asking about.

What is a level 2 maths equivalent to.

Yes but what I'm saying is it says on my certificate level 2 in adult numeracy not functional skills
www.https://www.nationalnumeracy.org.uk/what-numeracy/what-do-adult-numeracy-levels-mean

Yes but what I'm saying is it says on my certificate level 2 in adult numeracy not functional skills

Yes understand that but see if you can access the above website as might help you understand things better.

@Emily_B @Tracey_W any further help with this.
(edited 1 year ago)
Thanks @Littleemma98 for the tag.

Unfortunately I don't really have any experience in this.

Anecdotally, "adult numeracy" tends to be functional skills... my Mum used to teach basic skills & functional skills maths, but it's been 10 years since she moved on from that and I don't know if universities accept certificates which just say "adult numeracy" or if it has to say "functional skills".
Original post by Emily_B

Anecdotally, "adult numeracy" tends to be functional skills... my Mum used to teach basic skills & functional skills maths, but it's been 10 years since she moved on from that and I don't know if universities accept certificates which just say "adult numeracy" or if it has to say "functional skills".

Hi
@Emily_B [br] [br] No worries Emily as I just thought either yourself or Tracey_W would have been helpful to give her the answer the OP was looking for.

That's what I was thinking about with the "Functional Skills" as tried to explain it in another thread the OP did on the same question, hence the reason why I gave her the university minimum requirements for nursing and also link to look at to see if it may have been helpful to her. If she has any problems with it then perhaps the best thing to do is contact the universities which she is hoping to attend for a nursing degree to get further information from them.

Thanks for your answer anyway.
Original post by Emily_B

Hi
@Emily_B [br] [br] No worries Emily as I just thought either yourself or Tracey_W would have been helpful to give her the answer the OP was looking for.

That's what I was thinking about with the "Functional Skills" as tried to explain it in another thread the OP did on the same question, hence the reason why I gave her the university minimum requirements for nursing and also link to look at to see if it may have been helpful to her. If she has any problems with it then perhaps the best thing to do is contact the universities which she is hoping to attend for a nursing degree to get further information from them.

Thanks for your answer anyway.

@Littleemma98
Do universities accept functional skills maths.

Level 2 Functional Skills are also more and more acceptable to Universities, depending upon what type of Higher Education course you want to do. They take less time to study than GCSE's. However, for some professions you will need GCSE's in English and Maths which are also offered at the College.

I think that you have answered the question about what is required by giving the OP the university minimum requirements for nursing degrees and this is what is generally asked for.

( Typically you'll need a minimum of five GCSEs at grade 4/C or above (possibly in English language or literature and a science subject), plus two A levels or equivalent level 3 qualifications for an undergraduate degree. Some universities may ask for three A levels or equivalent. ).... This is what you usually require but every university do set there own entry requirements for nursing degrees so perhaps it's better if the OP contact the universities she intending to go to for more information about what she'll be needing in regards to qualifications.
Hi
I also have a level 2 adult numeracy certificate and was wondering the same thing is this equivalent to functional skills level 2? Did you ever get an answer?

Quick Reply

Latest