The Student Room Group

How does taking one Btec effect my chances of getting into university

Hi everyone, I’m just wondering will taking a Btec stop me from going to the university I’d like to go to as I’ve picked economic and business and will picking Btec media stop my chances of getting into a good university or should I stick to a harder subject and just pick 3 a levels I’ve picked the Btec as I want to go into the economics profession however without maths as i find it too hard will and thought picking a more coursework subject will be easier to get a A in
No, as long as you do good in all three you will get a uni place, best thing to do is convert your grades into a ucas point calculator and than look at the minimum points need to enter a specific uni's course (also taking epq will help you in the ucas point department)
Original post by Fadi786123
No, as long as you do good in all three you will get a uni place, best thing to do is convert your grades into a ucas point calculator and than look at the minimum points need to enter a specific uni's course (also taking epq will help you in the ucas point department)

Not all Unis use UCAS points - top Unis will make offers in grades.
Original post by HPablo485
Hi everyone, I’m just wondering will taking a Btec stop me from going to the university I’d like to go to as I’ve picked economic and business and will picking Btec media stop my chances of getting into a good university or should I stick to a harder subject and just pick 3 a levels I’ve picked the Btec as I want to go into the economics profession however without maths as i find it too hard will and thought picking a more coursework subject will be easier to get a A in

If you dont enjoy Maths then think again about doing Econ at Uni level - its Maths heavy. For Economics at top Unis you need A level Maths and preferably also Further Maths. One BTEC on top will not matter but you will need top grades. Avoid doing Business and Economics as there is syllabus overlap and some Unis wont accept both.
Reply 4
Original post by McGinger
If you dont enjoy Maths then think again about doing Econ at Uni level - its Maths heavy. For Economics at top Unis you need A level Maths and preferably also Further Maths. One BTEC on top will not matter but you will need top grades. Avoid doing Business and Economics as there is syllabus overlap and some Unis wont accept both.

Thank you for the information however I’ve seen that university’s such as lester etc will accept ecom with no maths and may give it to me along side of doing the course I know I’m not capable of unis such a Oxford etc however university in the middle range would they accept a Btec and two a levels like university of Manchester or lester etc

Several issues I can see here:

a) you say you want to go into the "economics profession" but "without maths". This is an oxymoron - economics is necessarily mathematical, especially at the academic/professional level (i.e. being an economist), and certainly at degree level too. If you are bad at maths, you will necessarily be bad at economics.

b) the combination of A-level Economics and A-level Business Studies tends to be at best frowned upon and at worst may not be considered as two separate A-levels by universities, due to the overlapping content. You should only take one of those subjects as part of a combination of three subjects.

c) a BTEC may limit your options for some unis, especially "higher ranking" universities which tend to have more formally academic courses, as they want to see you have taken a traditionally academic subject combination usually because that is what correlates best with success in their courses. Degrees at e.g. LSE, Oxbridge etc are often primarily if not wholly assessed by final unseen examination with very limited coursework options to fill out grades. If that is something you think you will struggle with at A-level, you will quite possibly struggle in those kinds of degree programmes. It won't be a problem for many other courses/unis, but you may need to manage your expectations.

I think you need to reflect on your ambitions and consider if they are actually realistic and if you are following your strengths, or trying to force yourself into the mould of someone else who is good at these things you aren't. If not, it's very likely you will just end up with a bad degree classification that won't get you anywhere anyway. You need to start with what you're good at and then figure out the end goal following from there, not start with the end goal and try and pigeonhole yourself into it.
Reply 6
Original post by Fadi786123

Thank you I appreciate that information and will start to look in this now
Thank you for the information however I’ve seen that university’s such as lester etc will accept ecom with no maths and may give it to me along side of doing the course I know I’m not capable of unis such a Oxford etc however university in the middle range would they accept a Btec and two a levels like university of Manchester or lester et

At Leicester they don't ask for Maths but most people have it. The speed they go through the maths and stats modules you really need to have A level.
Reply 8
Original post by McGinger

Right is there any courses which aren’t highly rated with maths as in economics and business etc as I’m wanting to choose a cource for maths with the least amount of maths as I don’t struggle with maths rather than I just find it very boring
Right is there any courses which aren’t highly rated with maths as in economics and business etc

There are Business or Econ degree courses at lower ranking Unis where maths wont be as important, but is that really worth £65,000+ of debt?

A better idea would be to aim at an apprenticeship or traineeship with large firm - earn while you learn : https://www.notgoingtouni.co.uk/ and https://www.gov.uk/apply-apprenticeship

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending