The Student Room Group

Going to uni without taking out a student loan

is it possible to be able to go to university without taking out a student loan?
Original post by ////////////
is it possible to be able to go to university without taking out a student loan?

It is if you have some other way to pay but why would you?
It depends where you're going, how much accommodation costs or if you're living at home, how much you're planning on spending on going out, how much weekly groceries will cost, how much transport costs, if your parents are supporting you, if you have money saved up, if you have a job etc. Try find this stuff out and make a budget for yourself and see if you can afford it.
Original post by ////////////

I did 3 years at university only using the NHS bursary I got for my degree course, university fees was paid for by my government. I don't have to pay back the bursary.
I was working part-time throughout my degree course and I used savings I had rather than to get into huge debt's.

It's doable but you'll have to work out everything that you have to buy etc for the duration of the course you are doing and see if you can manage it or not without loans or perhaps working part-time to help you.

I am now 3 years qualified.
Original post by Tracey_W
I did 3 years at university only using the NHS bursary I got for my degree course, university fees was paid for by my government. I don't have to pay back the bursary.
I was working part-time throughout my degree course and I used savings I had rather than to get into huge debt's.

It's doable but you'll have to work out everything that you have to buy etc for the duration of the course you are doing and see if you can manage it or not without loans or perhaps working part-time to help you.

I am now 3 years qualified.

A friend of mine did this to be a nurse, she said it was alot of penny pinching, but well worth it to avoid the debts that come with healthcare degrees.
I did it. I paid tuition fees from my savings, I live in my own home and was at local London university and kept working for ex employer to keep money in.

Others do it by parents paying. So it’s just having sane money but from another source.
Original post by vetphys1
A friend of mine did this to be a nurse, she said it was alot of penny pinching, but well worth it to avoid the debts that come with healthcare degrees.

If anyone can afford to do exactly that then it's definitely worth it to avoid the big student debts that comes with any degree not only healthcare.

I did midwifing but I did manage to get through it without any problems and the grief of having debts that you have to pay back eventually.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending