The Student Room Group

Domicile for Scottish uni course?

Hi SFE.
I've just discovered this service (having been unable to find the Send Secure Message function on my SFE account) so am hoping you might be able to give me a quick answer to something that might crop up when Clearing opens!
I'm British, living in the EU, and have had my Student Finance application (both tuition and maintenance loans) approved as a Home student. This was on the basis of a course I have applied to at a university in England, but may yet not get into.
I asked SFE about whether I would potentially be entitled to the same finance if I were to be going to university in Scotland and received an email saying that would depend on domicile - which I understood to mean that if I was English-domiciled I would receive the same SFE loans to study in Scotland. Firstly, is that correct?
If so my main (fairly urgent!) question is this: how would a British student living in the EU be considered domiciled (I know domicile is different to residence)? As a foreign resident in the EU, liable to study and live elsewhere now I am leaving school, I am not domiciled in the EU, and have never lived in Scotland or Wales. So as someone born in England, whose family still have a home in England, would it be reasonable to assume you would judge me English-domiciled? In which case, am I right in thinking the student loans you have approved for me could potentially be transferred to a course at a university in Scotland (from my original choice of English uni) if I were accepted?
Thank you.
Original post by Gill2021
Hi SFE.
I've just discovered this service (having been unable to find the Send Secure Message function on my SFE account) so am hoping you might be able to give me a quick answer to something that might crop up when Clearing opens!
I'm British, living in the EU, and have had my Student Finance application (both tuition and maintenance loans) approved as a Home student. This was on the basis of a course I have applied to at a university in England, but may yet not get into.
I asked SFE about whether I would potentially be entitled to the same finance if I were to be going to university in Scotland and received an email saying that would depend on domicile - which I understood to mean that if I was English-domiciled I would receive the same SFE loans to study in Scotland. Firstly, is that correct?
If so my main (fairly urgent!) question is this: how would a British student living in the EU be considered domiciled (I know domicile is different to residence)? As a foreign resident in the EU, liable to study and live elsewhere now I am leaving school, I am not domiciled in the EU, and have never lived in Scotland or Wales. So as someone born in England, whose family still have a home in England, would it be reasonable to assume you would judge me English-domiciled? In which case, am I right in thinking the student loans you have approved for me could potentially be transferred to a course at a university in Scotland (from my original choice of English uni) if I were accepted?
Thank you.

Hi there,

Where did you live before moving to the EU? Was it in England?

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 2
Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi there,

Where did you live before moving to the EU? Was it in England?

Thanks, Graeme

Hi Graeme. Yes I was in England before going overseas. My parents keep a house there, though I didn't live at that address, and most of my family are in England.
Hi Graeme. Yes I was in England before going overseas. My parents keep a house there, though I didn't live at that address, and most of my family are in England.

Thanks, yes - we'll class you as being domiciled in England. So, if you decide to study in Scotland then that's fine.

You can change your application online at any time before September: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-register-login

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 4
Original post by Graeme SFE
Thanks, yes - we'll class you as being domiciled in England. So, if you decide to study in Scotland then that's fine.

You can change your application online at any time before September: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-register-login

Thanks, Graeme

Thank you!
Reply 5
@Graeme SFE
Further to this conversation please could I just double-check: as SFE last year approved both tuition fee and maintenance loans for me, now I'm having to take a gap year and reapply can I safely assume that (if my circumstances of residence etc are unchanged) I would be able to get the same student funding (both loans) for university in Scotland as in England?
@Graeme SFE
Further to this conversation please could I just double-check: as SFE last year approved both tuition fee and maintenance loans for me, now I'm having to take a gap year and reapply can I safely assume that (if my circumstances of residence etc are unchanged) I would be able to get the same student funding (both loans) for university in Scotland as in England?

Hi there, That's correct! Thanks, Karen
Reply 7
Original post by SFE Karen
Hi there, That's correct! Thanks, Karen

Thank you, Karen!
Thank you, Karen!

You're welcome. If there is anything we can help with in the future please don't hesitate to contact us. Thanks, Karen

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending