The Student Room Group

Science GCSE in university admission

Hi, my brother will be choosing either triple science or combined science as he will be in year 10 next year. As I am just a new immigrant, I don’t really have a lot of idea how GCSE works. Also he needs to submit his application latest by tomorrow so I will greatly appreciate if you can answer it!!!

For university, a lot of courses especially science and medics look for GCSE grades, like science at grade 4/C. What does it mean by ‘science’? Like you need to submit all the scores in phy chem bio? Or you can select the best subject’s score?

For example if my brother got 8 in physics, 6 in biology but 3 in chemistry, can he only submit his physics and biology scores instead of all the scores when applying uni? If the uni needs to look at all phy chem bio grades, that means he can’t be qualified to get into uni (for science courses)?

Many thankssss!!!
No your brother will need to put down every grade onto UCAS when he’s applying to university. You cannot pick your best grades and only put them down.
(edited 1 year ago)
If he is thinking of applying to medicine he should pick triple science.
Original post by heavenward_n
Hi, my brother will be choosing either triple science or combined science as he will be in year 10 next year. As I am just a new immigrant, I don’t really have a lot of idea how GCSE works. Also he needs to submit his application latest by tomorrow so I will greatly appreciate if you can answer it!!!

For university, a lot of courses especially science and medics look for GCSE grades, like science at grade 4/C. What does it mean by ‘science’? Like you need to submit all the scores in phy chem bio? Or you can select the best subject’s score?

For example if my brother got 8 in physics, 6 in biology but 3 in chemistry, can he only submit his physics and biology scores instead of all the scores when applying uni? If the uni needs to look at all phy chem bio grades, that means he can’t be qualified to get into uni (for science courses)?

Many thankssss!!!

Combined would be easier to get higher grades in if you want to do something else, but for a career in science, GCSE Triple Science is highly recommended. All scores must be submitted, so a 3 would probably have to go up to at least a 6 if medicine is desired, which can definitely be done in 2 years.

Many thankssss!!!

How is Y12 predicted grade calculated does anyone knows?
Original post by TunesCool
How is Y12 predicted grade calculated does anyone knows?

May depend on your school. Usually end of years exams and other exams completed throughout the year. Exams at the start of Year 13 mainly Sep-Dec are also heavily looked at for predicted grades for uni. There are also other factors such as the students’ attitude to learning, completion of any work and their general attitude towards their education. Teachers know their students very well, if they know the student is hardworking and puts in effort why not give them good predicted’s?
Thank you so much!!! That’s really helpful
You don't need GCSE Triple Award Science to do science A-levels. The science A-levels only assume content from double award science. There are some topics only covered in triple award that appear in the A-level, but they would be retaught at a higher level than GCSE.

That said if he's good at science, triple award is kind of a no-brainer. It also makes sense if he's very strong at 2 sciences but weak in one to be honest, otherwise the bad science could drag down the other two instead of being another grade. (in double award science you get two grades which take into account all 3 sciences, in triple award he will have a GCSE Biology, GCSE Chemistry and GCSE physics. 885 in triple would look better than 76 in double and so on)
(edited 1 year ago)
Ah I see. I legit thought combined science means choosing 2 science subjects out of the three😭like if you are good in physics and biology, you can just choose to study these two. I did not realise that combined science means you only get two grades based on your overall results across three subjects.

But that’s a bit weird, like you’re still studying 3 subjects in combined science with diluted content, but at the end you only get two grades. I don’t get how it’s easier. Because if you don’t do well in one, it will drag the grades down
As above, they just look at whatever science GCSE(s) you have done. Normally UK students do either double award science (where you cover all three sciences and get two GCSEs) or "triple science", where students do each science as a separate GCSE. Both are fine and neither is preferred when it comes to uni admissions. Doing triple science might make the start of A-level sciences slightly easier but the A-level sciences, as above, do not presuppose the content from triple science (only the double award).

It really doesn't matter that much, if they're good at and enjoy science then doing triple makes sense, but even if so, if there's another option they really want to take, there is no disadvantage in doing double science (which most people do anyway).
Ah thank you so much!!
Ah I see. I legit thought combined science means choosing 2 science subjects out of the three😭like if you are good in physics and biology, you can just choose to study these two. I did not realise that combined science means you only get two grades based on your overall results across three subjects.

But that’s a bit weird, like you’re still studying 3 subjects in combined science with diluted content, but at the end you only get two grades. I don’t get how it’s easier. Because if you don’t do well in one, it will drag the grades down

basically combined science is two thirds the content of triple science, and is basically additional topics in each science.

It's easier just because less content, but it's not ideal if you are very weak in one science but strong in the others. It used to be that you sat the exact same papers in triple as double does, just an additional paper in each science. But that was changed with the new 9-1.
Original post by __Unknown
May depend on your school. Usually end of years exams and other exams completed throughout the year. Exams at the start of Year 13 mainly Sep-Dec are also heavily looked at for predicted grades for uni. There are also other factors such as the students’ attitude to learning, completion of any work and their general attitude towards their education. Teachers know their students very well, if they know the student is hardworking and puts in effort why not give them good predicted’s?

I got my report from my end of year exam and in Economics As paper 2 I got an E but the first paper I got an A in economics similarly in Business As paper 2 I got an E whereas in Paper 1 I got an B so could you give give me a rough idea as if what will be my predicted grades and should I retake I haven't got paper back so I don't know where I made mistake
I got my report from my end of year exam and in Economics As paper 2 I got an E but the first paper I got an A in economics similarly in Business As paper 2 I got an E whereas in Paper 1 I got an B so could you give give me a rough idea as if what will be my predicted grades and should I retake I haven't got paper back so I don't know where I made mistake

You should look at the 2019 grade boundaries for your exam board to give you an estimate.
But what do yo think my predicted grades is likely to be?
Original post by SagaciousSag
You should look at the 2019 grade boundaries for your exam board to give you an estimate.
But what do yo think my predicted grades is likely to be?

depends entirely on how your school calculates predicted grades and how you have done this year in general.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending