The Student Room Group

Atlantic Slave Trade 1600s

Hi. Please can someone give me some help on this question? It is about the Atlantic Slave trade in the 1600s. Thank you in advance. I really appreciate it.

Some punishments for resistance were being whipped, hung or killed.
Being on the plantations meant you had no rights, worked from dusk till dawn, had no proper bed and facilities.
Which aspect of slavery was worse and why? Being on the plantations or being punished for resisting?
How do conditions in the plantations link to resistance in any way?

Thank you for your help 😁
Original post by Mickey Mouse 1
Hi. Please can someone give me some help on this question? It is about the Atlantic Slave trade in the 1600s. Thank you in advance. I really appreciate it.

Some punishments for resistance were being whipped, hung or killed.
Being on the plantations meant you had no rights, worked from dusk till dawn, had no proper bed and facilities.
Which aspect of slavery was worse and why? Being on the plantations or being punished for resisting?
How do conditions in the plantations link to resistance in any way?

Thank you for your help 😁

I don't study the slave trade, but that's a poor question to ask, in my opinion.

Spoiler

Completely unhelpful, but I would hypothetically say the former, due to resistance only resulting in harsher treatment as you do the same thing. If your rights weren't being violated in the first place, would you need to resist orders and enslavement? Being threatened with serious physical abuse or death for taking a break is bad, but the worst part to me is having to be treated like that in the first place.

Talk about both sides with a strong argument, use specific names of people and places, and outline your view in a conclusion. Mention those terrible conditions and how they lead to exhaustion, malnourishment, illness and disease. Also, an introduction is not necessary if you have a good conclusion. Good luck with the question.
Original post by SagaciousSag
I don't study the slave trade, but that's a poor question to ask, in my opinion.

Spoiler

Completely unhelpful, but I would hypothetically say the former, due to resistance only resulting in harsher treatment as you do the same thing. If your rights weren't being violated in the first place, would you need to resist orders and enslavement? Being threatened with serious physical abuse or death for taking a break is bad, but the worst part to me is having to be treated like that in the first place.

Talk about both sides with a strong argument, use specific names of people and places, and outline your view in a conclusion. Mention those terrible conditions and how they lead to exhaustion, malnourishment, illness and disease. Also, an introduction is not necessary if you have a good conclusion. Good luck with the question.

Thank you so much for your answer. This really helps. I will try your tips!
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending