The Student Room Group

predicted ucas

Could i apply to cambridge for english lit with A*A*B predictions. the A* is in rs and englihs, b in history.

normal grade requirements for cambridge english are A*AA.

thx

Scroll to see replies

You can apply for any course with any predictions.

If you want to go to Cambridge and think you have the potential to meet their standard offer then apply. You have 5 choices.
What grade are you working at in History? Does your teacher think you could improve?
Original post by ilovepuppiez
Could i apply to cambridge for english lit with A*A*B predictions. the A* is in rs and englihs, b in history.

normal grade requirements for cambridge english are A*AA.

thx
It wouldn't be entirely impossible to get an interview, (ie. it probably wouldn't be instant rejection) but it'd start you off on the back foot. If you're confident in getting an A in your third A-level you should try your best to have the prediction raised to an A.
(edited 1 year ago)
I believe by y13 I’ll get an A but my school are quite strict so I wouldn’t be able to move it from a B which is so sad :frown:
Original post by _gcx
It wouldn't be entirely impossible to get an interview, (ie. it probably wouldn't be instant rejection) but it'd start you off on the back foot. If you're confident in getting an A in your third A-level you should try your best to have the prediction raised to an A.
Original post by Muttley79
What grade are you working at in History? Does your teacher think you could improve?

I’ve been improving, I started at a C and worked up to a B rn and I believe Id work up to an A but my teacher is quite strict W predictions
I’ve been improving, I started at a C and worked up to a B rn and I believe Id work up to an A but my teacher is quite strict W predictions

No point in generous predictions - as you potentially end up with offers you won't make.

As long as you apply to other unis with lower standard offers it's possibly worth a shot if your teacher will support and recommend you in their reference.
I believe by y13 I’ll get an A but my school are quite strict so I wouldn’t be able to move it from a B which is so sad :frown:

Well people will have certainly got interviews in the past with A*A*B. Just checked and there's the ELAT, I would imagine if you do brilliantly in that your application wouldn't necessarily be dead on arrival.

But do try to pursue having your prediction increased until the very end, it saves a lot of uncertainty and it would be a shame if you end up being very borderline and your predictions tip your file towards the rejection bin. Also don't pick a very famous college (Trinity, Kings, St Johns) since if they don't interview you, no-one will, there is no pre-interview pool. (mitigations that make college choice "not matter" only kick in after interviews)
(edited 1 year ago)
Thanks for this advice. I’m doing Elat work with my English teacher now! I also heard the same thing about colleges, and that some are better for state school students etc
Original post by _gcx
Well people will have certainly got interviews in the past with A*A*B. Just checked and there's the ELAT, I would imagine if you do brilliantly in that your application wouldn't necessarily be dead on arrival.

But do try to pursue having your prediction increased until the very end, it saves a lot of uncertainty and it would be a shame if you end up being very borderline and your predictions tip your file towards the rejection bin. Also don't pick a very famous college (Trinity, Kings, St Johns) since if they don't interview you, no-one will, there is no pre-interview pool. (mitigations that make college choice "not matter" only kick in after interviews)
Thanks for this advice. I’m doing Elat work with my English teacher now! I also heard the same thing about colleges, and that some are better for state school students etc

My only point is if you apply to one of the most competitive colleges already banking on some leniency and they don't have the slot to interview you, that's it, there's no second chance. So imo you should avoid those colleges.
Original post by _gcx

Why do TSR persist is encouraging people to 'ask for predictions to be raised'. Honestly it's not a good idea and teachers tend to over-predict anyway.

I am judged on the accuracy of my predictions and will not budge on a prfoessional judgement. History proves me right ...
No point in generous predictions - as you potentially end up with offers you won't make.

As long as you apply to other unis with lower standard offers it's possibly worth a shot if your teacher will support and recommend you in their reference.

Surely generous predictions just means that students have the ability to apply to more universities and in actuality it is down to them whether they apply to universities realistically. Unless you're referring to students that apply to universities with a requirement that they cannot actually achieve - in which case, wouldn't it be more their fault than anything?
Sorry for the confusing question, I'm going to apply after the summer holidays and I don't want to screw myself over.
Original post by toxicgamage56
Surely generous predictions just means that students have the ability to apply to more universities and in actuality it is down to them whether they apply to universities realistically. Unless you're referring to students that apply to universities with a requirement that they cannot actually achieve - in which case, wouldn't it be more their fault than anything?
Sorry for the confusing question, I'm going to apply after the summer holidays and I don't want to screw myself over.

What is the point though of this? I think a student will get a grade B [and history shows I predict accurately] then what is the point of me being 'bullied' to say a higher grade which they won't get? They then get that grade B and end up in clearing with no accommodation. Historically hardly anyone in my school ends up in clearing and that is the best outcome for everyone.
What is the point though of this? I think a student will get a grade B [and history shows I predict accurately] then what is the point of me being 'bullied' to say a higher grade which they won't get? They then get that grade B and end up in clearing with no accommodation. Historically hardly anyone in my school ends up in clearing and that is the best outcome for everyone.

Fair enough. Though apparently only 1/5 of people achieve their predicted grades across the country so not all teachers seem to be as accurate as you.
Why do TSR persist is encouraging people to 'ask for predictions to be raised'. Honestly it's not a good idea and teachers tend to over-predict anyway.

I am judged on the accuracy of my predictions and will not budge on a prfoessional judgement. History proves me right ...

If the OP is going to apply whether they have the A prediction or not, they should try their best to get the A prediction, otherwise they're passing an opportunity to make their application more competitive. Any eventual offer won't be for a B. If they're being at all sensible with their other apps they'll put in one requiring AAB but the OP didn't ask about their other choices.

I qualified it (perhaps not strongly enough) with "If you're confident in getting an A" at the beginning.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by toxicgamage56
Fair enough. Though apparently only 1/5 of people achieve their predicted grades across the country so not all teachers seem to be as accurate as you.

Yes but considering 4/5 predict too high all this does is get a student in clearing ...
Yes but considering 4/5 predict too high all this does is get a student in clearing ...

I agree that a teacher shouldn’t be pressured into giving predictions, hence why I don’t think being persistent with my history teacher is appropriate. What I believe I can achieve is isolated from a teachers professional judgement. However, I do know I have a good shot at Cambridge and feel upset at the prospect of being rejected based on a predicated grade which can change in time for uni. I’m not criticising my teachers choice, but rather the concept of predictions as a whole. I think the whole thing limits me, because I’ve been improving over this year and if I continue then I will certainly get an A. However I do understand that Unis need some sort of judgment to go off of. My school is one that underpredicts if anything.
I’m applying for a course at Warwick for AAB and Notts for ABB just as an insuranr
Original post by _gcx
If the OP is going to apply whether they have the A prediction or not, they should try their best to get the A prediction, otherwise they're passing an opportunity to make their application more competitive. Any eventual offer won't be for a B. If they're being at all sensible with their other apps they'll put in one requiring AAB but the OP didn't ask about their other choices.

I qualified it (perhaps not strongly enough) with "If you're confident in getting an A" at the beginning.
I agree that a teacher shouldn’t be pressured into giving predictions, hence why I don’t think being persistent with my history teacher is appropriate. What I believe I can achieve is isolated from a teachers professional judgement. However, I do know I have a good shot at Cambridge and feel upset at the prospect of being rejected based on a predicated grade which can change in time for uni. I’m not criticising my teachers choice, but rather the concept of predictions as a whole. I think the whole thing limits me, because I’ve been improving over this year and if I continue then I will certainly get an A. However I do understand that Unis need some sort of judgment to go off of. My school is one that underpredicts if anything.

You couls have a discussion about what evidence they would need from you to make a Grade A prediction. Maybe they'll set you additional work or tasks ...
I’m applying for a course at Warwick for AAB and Notts for ABB just as an insuranr

sounds very sensible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending