The Student Room Group

Jaw surgery

I’m 17 right now and I’ve had braces for 3 years and I started my treatment in my country and i came to uk just last year. So i had appointment with orthodontist and they said that I’ve had a wrong treatment for my case in my country. They said i have one teeth in my gums and i need to remove that and I’m getting my braces removed after 2 months because they said my roots have become shorter and weaker because of braces and i need to give my teeth rest. I have a underbite and they told me my upper jaw is backwards and lower jaw is forward so i need a jaw surgery for that . They told me its gonna take 16/18 months till the jaw surgery and by that time I’ll be over 18 . So I’m concerned about the cost . Will it be free through NHS or do i have to pay for it?? What will be the cost if i have to pay??
I may be wrong but I believe that if your treatment commences before you are 18 your orthodontics should be covered by the NHS (if you are seeing an NHS orthodontist now). It seems sensible to restart if your orthodontist is happy to do so, and cover all treatment via NHS but do ask the question - no shame in asking and very important to get clarity before committing to a course of treatment.
I should add that I include the jaw surgery in the "orthodontics" here.
Jaw surgery in relation to orthodontics is actually indicated for adults (it’s very rarely done on under 18s), so being 18 at the time this commences is fine on the NHS because that’s what should happen.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Mohammed_80
Your 17 now, expected treatment plan is one year and four to six months once you turn 18 dental treatment for you will cost and cost maybe £3000 upwards…

Source?
Original post by Mohammed_80
https://www.topdoctors.co.uk/medical-articles/orthognathic-surgery-the-jaw-correction-procedure?amp=1. Typical braces treatment £3,000 and that link provides you information with jaw procedure..

You’re using the source of one dentist which is not applicable in dentistry in the same as it could be for medicine.

Orthodontic treatment cost varies from dentist to dentist, the type of treatment you get and the type of malocclusion that’s being treated so it’s not as straight forward as estimating a fixed price as a general guide.

Orthognathic treatment is indicated for non-growing adults in most cases and so it’s free on the NHS regardless of age. The source you’re using refers to private treatment.
Original post by Mesopotamian.
Jaw surgery in relation to orthodontics is actually indicated for adults (it’s very rarely done on under 18s), so being 18 at the time this commences is fine on the NHS because that’s what should happen.

I wasn't sure of that, so this is really interesting for me to learn thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest