The Student Room Group

What is missing from the school curriculum?

Poll

What is missing from the school curriculum?

Some argue that things like basic life skills e.g cooking, budgeting etc is missing from the school curriculum.

Let us know your thoughts!
What do you think is missing from the school curriculum?
Should learning life skills be added to the school curriculum?
Do you believe that some less useful stuff is being prioritised in the school curriculum over some key stuff used in day to day life?
Should there be more applicational stuff added to the school curriculum?

More curriculum conversations like this

(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Very excited to hear what everyone thinks about this :beard:
I personally think that life skills definitely need to be added to the school curriculum (teaching people how to cook, budget and save money, do taxes (useful for countries where you have to do your own taxes), self-defense, basic first-aid, more numeracy etc).
I also think that learning about politics should maybe be added to the school curriculum (no politics for primary schools or middle schools, only for secondary/upper schools and above) but it will probably be hard to do this in an unbiased manner.
Original post by Talkative Toad
I personally think that life skills definitely need to be added to the school curriculum (teaching people how to cook, budget and save money, do taxes (useful for countries where you have to do your own taxes), self-defense, basic first-aid, more numeracy etc).
I also think that learning about politics should maybe be added to the school curriculum (no politics for primary schools or middle schools, only for secondary/upper schools and above) but it will probably be hard to do this in an unbiased manner.

Cooking and life skills. Self defence is not as important as first aid skills or teamwork however. I would also have loved to learn all about gardening, politics and how to run a company as well.
Also personal safety
Original post by tinyperson
Cooking and life skills. Self defence is not as important as first aid skills or teamwork however. I would also have loved to learn all about gardening, politics and how to run a company as well.

I think that kids should learn about self-defence too (especially in rough neighbourhoods) but cooking, budgeting and first aid are definitely the main ones in my opinion (i mean there are tons of recipes online but still).
I think that some less useful stuff is being prioritised in the school curriculum over some key stuff used in day to day life too
How about just "how to not be a ****"?
Original post by 04MR17
How about just "how to not be a ****"?

Definitely missing in the school curriculum in some schools
Basic Life Support is definitely a skill worth teaching - people can have medical emergencies anywhere and at any point in life and you could be the only one nearby who could help in the time taken for an ambulance or trained medic to arrive.

My sibling was taught BSL in primary school and they used that skill multiple times to help a student who had a medical condition which predisposed them to frequent fainting in class - and they we’re usually the one taking charge whilst everyone looked on.

Edit: I just want to add that basic life support is not the same as first aid. First aid involves things like applying a bandage or plaster, applying pressure to stop bleeding. Basic life support is CPR and using an automated defibrillator - it could literally save a life if someone is having a heart attack, choking to death or has fallen unconscious.
(edited 1 year ago)
Better health lessons such as learning about common ‘reproductive’ health conditions like endometriosis and PCOS in sex education in secondary school-Ppl are unaware of what a ‘normal’ /healthy period is. I’m sure there will be conditions in males too.
Also I think languages should be taught to a higher level in primary school, like English is in other countries. And some basic sign language, it’s a fun language to learn and lots of the signs make sense.
(edited 1 year ago)

We do a lot of this in the sixth form.

Most school teach Food technology in KS3 as well.
Original post by Mesopotamian.
Basic Life Support is definitely a skill worth teaching - people can have medical emergencies anywhere and at any point in life and you could be the only one nearby who could help in the time taken for an ambulance or trained medic to arrive.

My sibling was taught BSL in primary school and they used that skill multiple times to help a student who had a medical condition which predisposed them to frequent fainting in class - and they we’re usually the one taking charge whilst everyone looked on.

Sign language is probably good to learn
Original post by Muttley79
We do a lot of this in the sixth form.

Most school teach Food technology in KS3 as well.

Meh Food tech isn't the same in my opinion (I did GCSE food).
(edited 1 year ago)
Cyber laws and money management.
Not to send nude selfies or explicit videos to anyone- unless you want to be the next Mia K and are happy for parents, teachers, friends, neighbours & coworkers to see it all.
Meh Food tech isn't the same in my opinion (I did GCSE food).

Well it is at my school in KS3

In the Sixth Form we do a specific cooking on a budget course for everyone on a rota.
Original post by Muttley79
Well it is at my school in KS3

In the Sixth Form we do a specific cooking on a budget course for everyone on a rota.

For me there was cooking but also a lot of theory.
Original post by Rara345
Better health lessons such as learning about common ‘reproductive’ health conditions like endometriosis and PCOS in sex education in secondary school-Ppl are unaware of what a ‘normal’ /healthy period is. I’m sure there will be conditions in males too.
Also I think languages should be taught to a higher level in primary school, like English is in other countries. And some basic sign language, it’s a fun language to learn and lots of the signs make sense.

I agree. I also think pleasure and how to pleasure should have a greater role on sex education
I vote for assemblies (useless) to be replaced with home skills (e.g cooking, interviewing, taxes etc).
Original post by crashcody
I vote for assemblies (useless) to be replaced with home skills (e.g cooking, interviewing, taxes etc).

yes please.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending