The Student Room Group

Proof of 3 years residence in UK for postgraduate masters loan

I am planning to go work abroad for a year and go back to study a masters. I thought this was possible as my friend did the same thing.

However I've just been on the uk gov wesite and it says you need to have had 3 years continuous residency to be entitled to the loan.

I'm now panicking as I have my place deferred and all set up for next year. I have my new job ready to go to. I've lived in the UK my whole life. Now I don't know what to do.

What proof do they ask for for the 3 years residence? I'm struggling to find any official info. Please help!
Original post by Callie_
I am planning to go work abroad for a year and go back to study a masters. I thought this was possible as my friend did the same thing.

However I've just been on the uk gov wesite and it says you need to have had 3 years continuous residency to be entitled to the loan.

I'm now panicking as I have my place deferred and all set up for next year. I have my new job ready to go to. I've lived in the UK my whole life. Now I don't know what to do.

What proof do they ask for for the 3 years residence? I'm struggling to find any official info. Please help!

Hello Callie,

UK Nationals must have been ordinarily resident in the UK and Islands for three years immediately before the first day of the first Academic Year of the course. If a student has lived outside the UK for 3 months or more during the 3 years prior to their master's, we will require evidence of the temporary absence. The following is deemed acceptable:
-A letter from university confirming gap year
-A letter from your employer on headed paper confirming temporary employment including dates
-A contract from your employer that clearly shows the employment is of a temporary nature
-Temporary visas or work permits

Thanks, Lynsey.
Reply 2
Original post by Lynsey SFE
Hello Callie,

UK Nationals must have been ordinarily resident in the UK and Islands for three years immediately before the first day of the first Academic Year of the course. If a student has lived outside the UK for 3 months or more during the 3 years prior to their master's, we will require evidence of the temporary absence. The following is deemed acceptable:
-A letter from university confirming gap year
-A letter from your employer on headed paper confirming temporary employment including dates
-A contract from your employer that clearly shows the employment is of a temporary nature
-Temporary visas or work permits

Thanks, Lynsey.

Hi Lynsey,

Thank you very much for your reply, I really appreciate it.

Does it count as a gap year if it is a year before the masters? Because I won't have officially started at the uni and then taken a break if you see what I mean, it is a year's contract before my masters.

Would I need all 4 of these things to prove it?
Original post by Callie_
Hi Lynsey,

Thank you very much for your reply, I really appreciate it.

Does it count as a gap year if it is a year before the masters? Because I won't have officially started at the uni and then taken a break if you see what I mean, it is a year's contract before my masters.

Would I need all 4 of these things to prove it?

Hi Callie,

If you haven't officially started this wouldn't count then as a gap year. We would suggest sending the other evidence mentioned above so you can prove your time abroad was temporary. The assessor will review this and let you know if it's accepted or not.

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 4
Original post by Claire SFE
Hi Callie,

If you haven't officially started this wouldn't count then as a gap year. We would suggest sending the other evidence mentioned above so you can prove your time abroad was temporary. The assessor will review this and let you know if it's accepted or not.

Thanks,
Claire

Hi Claire,

Thank you for your reply.

Ok, so even with all the evidence being exactly as your colleague stated it might not be accepted then?

This makes me feel really worried as it doesn't seem to be a transparent process. It makes me question whether I should even be going abroad to work now.

It's a really difficult one as even though I have my masters offer deferred for next year and my temporary employment lined up, there's no way to tell if it'll be accepted?

I would be grateful if you could please advise me as to whether there is any more evidence I can provide to strengthen my case to show that I keep ordinary residence in the UK?
Original post by Callie_
Hi Claire,

Thank you for your reply.

Ok, so even with all the evidence being exactly as your colleague stated it might not be accepted then?

This makes me feel really worried as it doesn't seem to be a transparent process. It makes me question whether I should even be going abroad to work now.

It's a really difficult one as even though I have my masters offer deferred for next year and my temporary employment lined up, there's no way to tell if it'll be accepted?

I would be grateful if you could please advise me as to whether there is any more evidence I can provide to strengthen my case to show that I keep ordinary residence in the UK?

Hi there,

We can't confirm for definite till you apply and provide the evidence and the assessor reviews this. If you're looking to apply for September 2023 this would come under the 23/24 application and these normally open February/March 2023. Apply as soon as it opens and we can confirm whether you will be eligible or not.

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 6
Original post by Claire SFE
Hi there,

We can't confirm for definite till you apply and provide the evidence and the assessor reviews this. If you're looking to apply for September 2023 this would come under the 23/24 application and these normally open February/March 2023. Apply as soon as it opens and we can confirm whether you will be eligible or not.

Thanks,
Claire

Ok, thank you Claire. I know that you can't say for definite but are you able to say how likely it is? I assume this must be a common question and that students must often have worked or travelled abroad for temporary periods of time and still receive student finance?
Original post by Callie_
Ok, thank you Claire. I know that you can't say for definite but are you able to say how likely it is? I assume this must be a common question and that students must often have worked or travelled abroad for temporary periods of time and still receive student finance?

Hi Callie,

So long as you have some kind of proof to show that your time abroad is temporary you should be fine. For example, from the evidence Lynsey mentioned do you think you'll be able to provide at least one of these?

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 8
Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi Callie,

So long as you have some kind of proof to show that your time abroad is temporary you should be fine. For example, from the evidence Lynsey mentioned do you think you'll be able to provide at least one of these?

Thanks, Graeme

Hi Graeme, Yes I think I will have at least one of these. The headed paper will be in a different language but the letter will be in English. Will that be ok?
Reply 9
Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi Callie,

Thanks, Graeme

Oh, and is there any other bits of evidence you can suggest?
For example, to show that I intend to come back to the UK?
I have an email thread to the university to explain why I am deferring to the UK.
I also have emails to supply agencies to ask to get on their books for next September.
Would they be good as evidence?
Will it matter if I don't have evidence of my return flight? As this will be booked by the company so I'm not sure that I'll be given the original booking. Plus I wouldn't have it until the end of August anyway
Original post by Callie_
Oh, and is there any other bits of evidence you can suggest?
For example, to show that I intend to come back to the UK?
I have an email thread to the university to explain why I am deferring to the UK.
I also have emails to supply agencies to ask to get on their books for next September.
Would they be good as evidence?
Will it matter if I don't have evidence of my return flight? As this will be booked by the company so I'm not sure that I'll be given the original booking. Plus I wouldn't have it until the end of August anyway

Hi Callie,

It would depend on your individual circumstances. We normally accept temporary visas along with return flights, temporary work contracts for either yourself or parents and evidence of temporary accommodation.

Thanks, Clare
Reply 11
Original post by SFE Clare
Hi Callie,

It would depend on your individual circumstances. We normally accept temporary visas along with return flights, temporary work contracts for either yourself or parents and evidence of temporary accommodation.

Thanks, Clare

When you say temporary accomodation, do you mean evidence of accomodation here or abroad?

This is for me, I will be studying a masters so I don't think my parent has anything to do with it?

What can use as evidence to show ties to the UK?
Original post by Callie_
When you say temporary accomodation, do you mean evidence of accomodation here or abroad?

This is for me, I will be studying a masters so I don't think my parent has anything to do with it?

What can use as evidence to show ties to the UK?

Hello,

We mean evidence of your accommodation abroad, the lease for example. Bank statements show ties to the UK. However, please bear in mind we can only provide guidance, this doesn't mean you will be deemed eligible, we can only confirm that when you apply next Academic Year.

Thanks, Lynsey.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending