The Student Room Group

UCAS second time?

Hi.
So basically I might fail my second year. I'm thinking of going through clearing. Can I do that? Or am I supposed to start a new UCAS application? Please help :c
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

You will need a new UCAS application set up before you can go through Clearing.
Restarting a degree now from Year 1 will mean you wont get Student Finance for the entire degree.
No Uni would be interested in accepting someone who has already failed at degree level study.
Original post by student.stu.dies
Hi.
So basically I might fail my second year. I'm thinking of going through clearing. Can I do that? Or am I supposed to start a new UCAS application? Please help :c

Are you hoping to restart (as above that will have financial implications) or would you hope to restart second year elsewhere (in which case why not just repeat the year at your current university)
Original post by McGinger
No Uni would be interested in accepting someone who has already failed at degree level study.

That's a bit unhelpful and not entirely true, there are so many different circumstances.

Hi.

Are you in second year of Uni or in your second year of A Levels?
Original post by McGinger
You will need a new UCAS application set up before you can go through Clearing.
Restarting a degree now from Year 1 will mean you wont get Student Finance for the entire degree.

will the unis know I failed?!
Original post by PQ
Are you hoping to restart (as above that will have financial implications) or would you hope to restart second year elsewhere (in which case why not just repeat the year at your current university)

I wanted to restart entirely
Original post by dbhc2411
That's a bit unhelpful and not entirely true, there are so many different circumstances.

Are you in second year of Uni or in your second year of A Levels?

I'm in my second year of uni
I'm in my second year of uni

How do you plan funding this extra year. You only have 3 years plus a bonus year so you only have 2 years funding for your course so you would have to fund 1 years fees and living costs. As @McGinger has correctly pointed out who will take someone who has failed second year and that is coming from someone with vast experience of university admissions.
Original post by swanseajack1
How do you plan funding this extra year. You only have 3 years plus a bonus year so you only have 2 years funding for your course so you would have to fund 1 years fees and living costs. As @McGinger has correctly pointed out who will take someone who has failed second year and that is coming from someone with vast experience of university admissions.

It's important to note though that individual circumstances can and do matter in admission decisions, so it's a bit reckless to blindly assume it's due to something like complacency or lack of intellectual capability. I technically failed my first year in 2012. That's because I hated the course, hated the university and wanted to leave and didn't turn up to any exams. That's not impeded me in any way whatsoever, other than missing out on that 'bonus year' you mentioned.

OP - what I would do is talk to admissions teams at the universities/courses you're interested in (including your own if that's what you want to do), and discuss your situation and options relevant to your personal circumstances :smile: - as this is a non-standard situation, there's no blanket black and white admission policy each university/school will take, so your application success will vary.

Could it be that you could use your 'bonus year' of student finance to retake 2nd year?
It's important to note though that individual circumstances can and do matter in admission decisions, so it's a bit reckless to blindly assume it's due to something like complacency or lack of intellectual capability. I technically failed my first year in 2012. That's because I hated the course, hated the university and wanted to leave and didn't turn up to any exams. That's not impeded me in any way whatsoever, other than missing out on that 'bonus year' you mentioned.

OP - what I would do is talk to admissions teams at the universities/courses you're interested in (including your own if that's what you want to do), and discuss your situation and options relevant to your personal circumstances :smile: - as this is a non-standard situation, there's no blanket black and white admission policy each university/school will take, so your application success will vary.

Could it be that you could use your 'bonus year' of student finance to retake 2nd year?

Many students like you fail your first year or just cannot settle for some reason. That is totally different to failing the 2nd year and is the reason you get a bonus years funding. @McGinger has spent a lifetime working in university admissions and has the experience in this area. Maybe you ought to take that into account. She is aware of how universities work having worked in a number of them.
Many students like you fail your first year or just cannot settle for some reason. That is totally different to failing the 2nd year and is the reason you get a bonus years funding. @McGinger has spent a lifetime working in university admissions and has the experience in this area. Maybe you ought to take that into account. She is aware of how universities work having worked in a number of them.

I'm not trying to have a disagreement, I'm just trying to make sure the OP doesn't get disheartened. Whilst what you're describing may be someone else's experience, I happen to know myself from certain experiences I have, that institutions tend to need more information than what's been provided in this thread to conclude that they wouldn't accept them.

I'd just hate to see the OP not apply or at least enquire based on thinking "who would accept them", when the reality is that plenty of places would accept them depending on what their circumstances around the situation were.

It's all gravy here :smile:
I'm not trying to have a disagreement, I'm just trying to make sure the OP doesn't get disheartened. Whilst what you're describing may be someone else's experience, I happen to know myself from certain experiences I have, that institutions tend to need more information than what's been provided in this thread to conclude that they wouldn't accept them.

I'd just hate to see the OP not apply or at least enquire based on thinking "who would accept them", when the reality is that plenty of places would accept them depending on what their circumstances around the situation were.

It's all gravy here :smile:

Well the first thing is they would have to fund 1 year themselves and I believe that is the first year of the new course @PQ
can you confirm this. The cost of fees and living costs for most will be in the region of £20k. That has to be arranged. That is is if a university accepts somebody. Your saying yes there isnt a problem somebody will accept you is just giving false hope. I would prefer to accept the views of someone who has lived and breathed admissions in universities for 30 years rather than you.

We have had similar issues on here over the WJEC level 3 Criminology. Mcginger has been saying top universities wont acept. Others have tried to say otherwise that it was accepted as a level 3. It has now transpired that this isnt accepted by UCL, Bristol and Birmingham and probably several others. Iti s all very well people trying to knock what McGinger says but she puts the position as it is.

Just because you dont link what is said doesnt mean it isnt right.
Well the first thing is they would have to fund 1 year themselves and I believe that is the first year of the new course @PQ
can you confirm this. The cost of fees and living costs for most will be in the region of £20k. That has to be arranged. That is is if a university accepts somebody. Your saying yes there isnt a problem somebody will accept you is just giving false hope. I would prefer to accept the views of someone who has lived and breathed admissions in universities for 30 years rather than you.

We have had similar issues on here over the WJEC level 3 Criminology. Mcginger has been saying top universities wont acept. Others have tried to say otherwise that it was accepted as a level 3. It has now transpired that this isnt accepted by UCL, Bristol and Birmingham and probably several others. Iti s all very well people trying to knock what McGinger says but she puts the position as it is.

Just because you dont link what is said doesnt mean it isnt right.

As I said I'm not trying to have a disagreement, I'm just trying to offer an alternative view which is based on what the OP has written. It's important people get equipped with all the information they can because it can change the course of their life.

There isn't enough information from the OP to conclude that they wouldn't be accepted anywhere. There are too many assumptions, and I'm now leaving this conversation because I think I've succinctly given my advice to the OP, not be tempted to try and defend my POV based on my own experiences, colleagues, friends (a couple who work as admissions tutors on science courses - which goes to show it's such a grey area) to someone who's trying to argue on someone else's behalf? I don't get it.

OP - do this, then you'll have the best idea:

Best of luck to you, I hope everything works out well :smile:

funding isn't too much of a problem I don't think. I'll just need to do a lot of saving up.
And would I have a low chance of getting into any university again?
(edited 1 year ago)

I would rather not talk to my tutors about my circumstances :frown:

Would I be allowed to retake my second year? Even if I've failed?
will the unis know I failed?!

Your ucas application needs to list a full education history. That means pre university qualifications AND details of your university study. Often you’ll also be asked to supply a transcript of marks.
I would rather not talk to my tutors about my circumstances :frown:

Would I be allowed to retake my second year? Even if I've failed?

Your course/student handbook should explain the circumstances where you can repeat a year.

depending on what is failed you might be able to resit exams/resubmit some work in the summer. Then if that isn’t successful or if you failed a set number of modules then you might be eligible for a repeat year of your current course.
I wanted to restart entirely

What subject are you currently studying and which subject would you want to restart studying?
Original post by PQ
Your ucas application needs to list a full education history. That means pre university qualifications AND details of your university study. Often you’ll also be asked to supply a transcript of marks.

oh no :frown:
Original post by PQ
Your course/student handbook should explain the circumstances where you can repeat a year.

depending on what is failed you might be able to resit exams/resubmit some work in the summer. Then if that isn’t successful or if you failed a set number of modules then you might be eligible for a repeat year of your current course.

I will try to find out more from uni, thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending