The Student Room Group

How many hours can I legally work at 16?

I just had an interview and got a job. They said I will work Friday, Saturday and Sunday 5 hours a day, but then they said after a 2 week trial of this I will be moved to Monday to Friday 10 hours a day???

Should I just work the 2 weeks and then leave if they refuse to give me less working hours as I want a life.
Original post by yaboyxerx
I just had an interview and got a job. They said I will work Friday, Saturday and Sunday 5 hours a day, but then they said after a 2 week trial of this I will be moved to Monday to Friday 10 hours a day???

Should I just work the 2 weeks and then leave if they refuse to give me less working hours as I want a life.

Like the above poster said- the max is 35 hours a week at 16.
Before doing anything hasty, speak to them if you arent happy with the hours.
Will you be going to 6th form/college or anything after the summer?
Reply 3
Original post by Emma:-)
Like the above poster said- the max is 35 hours a week at 16.
Before doing anything hasty, speak to them if you arent happy with the hours.
Will you be going to 6th form/college or anything after the summer?

Yes, I will be beginning 6th form in september
Check if that is “between the hours of” including lunch, or a total of 10 hours a day.
The law may also be different over a short period.
A holiday job may allow a 10 hour day but not allow it if working full time.

If this is just over the summer, then it could allow you to build some cash. But you might find it tiring.
Original post by yaboyxerx
Yes, I will be beginning 6th form in september

Doing those hours will be fine in school holidays. Id see about changing your hours for when you start 6th form though, so it doesnt clash with school.
If that isnt possible, look for other jobs, but dont quit your current one before getting another. After all, you still have time yet before starting 6th form.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending