The Student Room Group

Am a 16 years old Nigerian and in my last year of second and we are relocating to UK

And can I only prepare for A level exam to eñter uni
Reply 1
you have to do a levels or international a level equivalents to get a place at uni
so that means gsce is not necessary for me
Original post by Lizzy_Ayomikun
so that means gsce is not necessary for me

I still advise you do your gcses so you aren't disadvantaged in any way. Also Nigerian btw
oh nice meeting my fellow peep
buh if I do the gsce it will make me stay longer and I will enter uni 20 years ... and medicine is a very long way to go
Original post by Lizzy_Ayomikun
buh if I do the gsce it will make me stay longer and I will enter uni 20 years ... and medicine is a very long way to go

oh then instead of doing A levels you can do a foundation year
Reply 7
have you done gcse equivalent exams? if so you don’t need to do gcses and can apply to a sixth form or college with your grades
check with universities you're interested in if WAEC is accepted by them. you will probably also have to take A-levels though.
I would have left Nigeria before writing my weac
My advice would be that you register for Cambridge IGCSEs in the UK if you’d be leaving Nigeria before writing WAEC. Then take the exams when you arrive in the UK. It’s a lot better than WAEC as WAEC isn’t respected much in the UK.

Personally, I did WAEC and NECO. Didn’t cheat so I was awarded really bad grades. Came into the UK, started my a levels and I’m currently taking GCSE Maths and English alongside. It’s stressful but I’d rather have a GCSE/IGCSE when applying to universities or companies rather than a WAEC result.

You can also choose to do Year 11 here, take GCSEs and move on. Either way good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest