The Student Room Group

Are there any respected A levels for people with Grade 4/5?

Because most (maths and sciences) require 6/7.
What does respected mean?

Just do the A-levels that will allow you to progress to your next stage of life, be it work or higher education.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Blue_Cow
What does respected mean?

Just do the A-levels that will allow you to progress to your next stage of life, be it work or higher education.

Asked it because the threads I saw (just realised they were years old) that said to do well after college you had to do a respected subject.

I asked it to see what people of TSR thought, as there are some less than favourable characters on here pushing the idea that people who don't get all Grade 9's do BTECS.
Original post by NerdAlert83
Asked it because the threads I saw (just realised they were years old) that said to do well after college you had to do a respected subject.

I asked it to see what people of TSR thought, as there are some less than favourable characters on here pushing the idea that people who don't get all Grade 9's do BTECS.

Yeah, I still don't understand what a respected subject is. The only thing that matters is that you can progress to the next stage in your life with the qualifications you've chosen.

If someone can't do or doesn't like STEM-related subjects then there is no amount of perceived respect that will make them succeed in these subjects. For every successful STEM student I can give you 10 un/underemployed/underpaid ones too.
(edited 1 year ago)
Its entirely up to each school or college to decide what GCSE grades you need to do any A level, BTEC etc.
If your own school isnt an option, look at others as they may have lower requirements. For most science and maths subjects you will need a good GCSE grade to complete the A level successfuly but there are many other subjects where this isnt a necesessity.

There are also BTECs or CTECs as an alternative - these are more vocational courses and are often a better option for those with lower GCSE attainment. Or there are apprenticeships and traineeships, and other 16+ options, instead. Look at https://www.notgoingtouni.co.uk/ and https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/Careers/Role-finder
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest