The Student Room Group

biomedicine then dentistry?

i was wondering that if i take biomedicine through a foundation year, would it be possible for me to transfer half way through my course to dentistry or pharmacy? or would i have to complete my biomedicine degree as an undergraduate and then do a postgraduate in dentistry or pharmacy?
Original post by ridhashah
i was wondering that if i take biomedicine through a foundation year, would it be possible for me to transfer half way through my course to dentistry or pharmacy? or would i have to complete my biomedicine degree as an undergraduate and then do a postgraduate in dentistry or pharmacy?

My advice is to not study biomedicine foundation year with the goal of transferring to dentistry. Transfers are incredibly competitive and limit you to one dental school and graduate entry dentistry is also a lot more competitive than standard undergraduate entry.
As above, both transfers and GED are not good ideas, although transfers are worse.

Some dental schools accept retakes so it may be best to resit and apply once you have the correct grades.

Applying as a graduate is even more competitive than undergraduate entry so be prepared to never get into dentistry if you choose this method.
Reply 3
Original post by hungrysalamander
My advice is to not study biomedicine foundation year with the goal of transferring to dentistry. Transfers are incredibly competitive and limit you to one dental school and graduate entry dentistry is also a lot more competitive than standard undergraduate entry.

would there be any other way for me to go into dentistry? i was going to take that route as i'm not taking any of the a levels required for dentistry as i didn't get the required maths gcse. thank you
Reply 4
Original post by Mesopotamian.
As above, both transfers and GED are not good ideas, although transfers are worse.

Some dental schools accept retakes so it may be best to resit and apply once you have the correct grades.

Applying as a graduate is even more competitive than undergraduate entry so be prepared to never get into dentistry if you choose this method.

thank you for your advice!! the problem is not my grades :/ it's the a levels i'm currently taking, i'm not taking any of the a levels required for dentistry. is there any other route? or any university (preferably in london) that does dentistry foundation years?
would there be any other way for me to go into dentistry? i was going to take that route as i'm not taking any of the a levels required for dentistry as i didn't get the required maths gcse. thank you

What A-levels are you doing? You only need biology, chemistry and any third subject of your choice. GCSE resits are accepted at most dental schools.
Reply 6
I can speak for Manchester, as idk the requirements for others. At UoM they don't let you transfer from a course halfway through, it specifically says you must finish the course you're on and apply after that.

Surely it's much easier to just sit GCSE Maths again and get the requited grades, and then apply for foundation entry dentistry (year 0).
Reply 7
Original post by hungrysalamander
What A-levels are you doing? You only need biology, chemistry and any third subject of your choice. GCSE resits are accepted at most dental schools.

i'm doing sociology, english lit and chemistry :/
Reply 8
Original post by Nuttyy
I can speak for Manchester, as idk the requirements for others. At UoM they don't let you transfer from a course halfway through, it specifically says you must finish the course you're on and apply after that.

Surely it's much easier to just sit GCSE Maths again and get the requited grades, and then apply for foundation entry dentistry (year 0).

i was thinking about UoM, they allow foundation years for dentistry within the a levels i'm currently doing and i'm planning on resitting my maths gcse! is UoM a good university in your experience?
Reply 9
i was thinking about UoM, they allow foundation years for dentistry within the a levels i'm currently doing and i'm planning on resitting my maths gcse! is UoM a good university in your experience?

UoM will get me a BDS degree, the experience is something I can't comment too much on due to missing nearly 2 years due to Covid.

When I applied, I didn't care where I ended up, a BDS degree from Manchester = Plymouth = QMUL = King's lol. With the current acceptance rates, beggers can't be choosers.
i'm doing sociology, english lit and chemistry :/

I'd suggest emailing dental schools to check which ones allow A-levels taken in 3 years instead of 2 and take biology.
thank you for your advice!! the problem is not my grades :/ it's the a levels i'm currently taking, i'm not taking any of the a levels required for dentistry. is there any other route? or any university (preferably in london) that does dentistry foundation years?

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/courses/dentistry/entry-requirements-for-pre-dental-courses

That link tells you about universities with foundation years designed for students with the correct grades but incorrect subject combo. The link is a couple of years outdated though so just double check on the uni websites what their current requirements are.

Quick Reply

Latest