The Student Room Group

roundabouts

when going straght on a roundabout when should u stay near the left and when should you go through the middle if the lanes are unmarked?
Reply 1
Original post by Rohan007best
when going straght on a roundabout when should u stay near the left and when should you go through the middle if the lanes are unmarked?

I'm currently driving with a well-respected driving instructor. I have been driving for a year now, mainly as it's difficult to get a test.

Assuming you are in England: My driver instructor has always taught me that when going straight on (2nd exit) at a roundabout, you always stay to the left unless the lines have arrows telling you that you need to be a specific lane. Roundabout should have marked lanes if they have more than 2 lanes.

On an unmarked roundabout:
1st and 2nd exit: stay to the left
3nd and 4th: stay to the right
(Any roundabout with more than 4 exits will have markings)

Is this what you mean?
Original post by Sav055
I'm currently driving with a well-respected driving instructor. I have been driving for a year now, mainly as it's difficult to get a test.

Assuming you are in England: My driver instructor has always taught me that when going straight on (2nd exit) at a roundabout, you always stay to the left unless the lines have arrows telling you that you need to be a specific lane. Roundabout should have marked lanes if they have more than 2 lanes.

On an unmarked roundabout:
1st and 2nd exit: stay to the left
3nd and 4th: stay to the right
(Any roundabout with more than 4 exits will have markings)

Is t

hi yes but on some roundabouts where the lane is unmarked my instructor tells me stay to the centre near the apron if going straight i.e. 2nd exit i dont get why this is?

Also when changing lanes i.e. you are on the right lane and want to move back to the left lane on a dual carriageway should u signal left to move back into the left lane and when overtaking parked vehicles do u need to indicate?
hi yes but on some roundabouts where the lane is unmarked my instructor tells me stay to the centre near the apron if going straight i.e. 2nd exit i dont get why this is?

Also when changing lanes i.e. you are on the right lane and want to move back to the left lane on a dual carriageway should u signal left to move back into the left lane and when overtaking parked vehicles do u need to indicate?

how many exits on the roundabout? 3? or 4? i never stay in the centre unless I am preparing to exit and so I drive out gradually further to the exit, do you think that what they meant?
i don't fully understand the next qu but if you are driving down the road and there are parked cars you indicate to go around them but don't need to indicate to go back onto your lane after, does this answer ur question?
i.e. you signal around the car but don't signal to go back into ur lane after
Reply 4

Okay, so, according to my instructor:
You can be in the right lane if there are two lane in the exit. So if you in the right going around the roundabout, you need to exit into the right lane. However, it's unlikely that it will be unmarked if there are two lane exits. I suppose it depends where you live but where I live, most roundabout that are larger are marked. If you are in the right lane and going straight on, you'll need to indicate to get back into the left before exiting + extra mirror checks so my instructor tells me to keep the left if unmarked. I can't tell you for sure why your instructor is like this as all instructors are different.

If the roundabout only has three exits then you can stay in the centre but I think you can fail or at least get a minor in your test for being in the wrong lane if it's a four exit roundabout...so I have been told.

As for your changing lanes, you always need to signal and do mirror checks to change lanes. It's an automatically fail if you don't.

As for the parked cars, if you can easily get past them (wide roads) with oncoming traffic, you don't need to signal. If there is no cars coming towards you, you don't need to signal either. You can signal if you want, you won't fail for it or get a minor, if you wanted to be safe. I sometimes indicate if I have to wait for cars to move and there are people behind me (if the roads are narrow) but turn it off as soon as I've moved out. Mainly just so people behind me can see that I'm not parked/stopping in the middle of the road.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 5
Typically you use the left hand lane to go straight on, with the exception of where this lane is marked specifically for turning left or other lanes are marked for straight ahead. However as you become more advanced, with proper observation, you might use another lane to go straight ahead if it is the smoothest way forward. Signalling is done anytime it can give useful information to another road user. If you move back in to the left lane promptly once you are clear, as you should after overtaking, it is not generally necessary to signal
thanks every1
Depends on the roundabout...

If there're markings, you follow the markings.

If there aren't any markings, look at the road sign. If there is no road signage for the roundabout, go by physical location. 12 o'clock or before, left lane. Anything after, right lane. Road signage takes president if signage and physical location differ. If an exit is at 1 o'clock physically, but signage says it's a 12 o'clock exit, then it's a 12 o'clock exit. Beware of people wrongly using the right lane to take this exit.

Only exception would be if the 12 o'clock exit has two lanes, in which case the right lane can be used for 12 o'clock but you should exit into the right lane rather than the left.

Going through the middle on a roundabout that is obviously two lanes will almost certainly be a fail.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending