The Student Room Group

Level 4 then uni?

Hi I have finished my A levels and have been offered a level 4 apprenticeship in network engineering which is 2 years.
They also said that I can do a level 6 after that will take around 2 years or more too (as some modules are covered in the level4) and the degree is in digital and technology solutions.

My concern is missing out on uni life, so is it ok to go to uni after that and do a computer science degree, or do the level 6 after the level 4

I will be doing uni commuting from home, and the money/debt side isn't a huge issue. So that's not a main concern

I would like to hear some opinions, thanks
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Umayrc63
Hi I have finished my A levels and have been offered a level 4 apprenticeship in network engineering.

My concern is missing out on uni life, so is it ok to go to uni after that and do a computer science degree, or do the level 6 after the level 4

I will be doing uni from home, and the money/debt side isn't a huge issue. So that's not a main concern

I would like to hear some opinions, thanks

Hi! How long is the apprenticeship? If it’s a year or so, then it sounds like a great opportunity to take. Remember, it is never too late to go to uni, there is no max age limit and you will not be disadvantaged socially if you start later than usual. Especially if you’re doing uni from home (I’m not entirely sure what this exactly means), then it sounds like something you should really consider 😊
Reply 2
Original post by sickofthis
Hi! How long is the apprenticeship? If it’s a year or so, then it sounds like a great opportunity to take. Remember, it is never too late to go to uni, there is no max age limit and you will not be disadvantaged socially if you start later than usual. Especially if you’re doing uni from home (I’m not entirely sure what this exactly means), then it sounds like something you should really consider 😊

Hi thanks for your reply, just updated the post with more info.
I just dont want to regret getting into a full time job position, at such an early age, and with the average retiring age of 60. I would be working all my life anyway. Also the apprenticeship is a 8-5, and I would need to wake up at 5am to get there by train and would come back home at around 6:30

So a question is, why don't I go to uni where its a couple hours a day and have the extra free time to have 'fun' and have the experience.

Also, yes there's the reason that theres's no debt etc. But disregarding the fact about money, as that's not an issue. What other points is valid?

Thanks
Hi thanks for your reply, just updated the post with more info.
I just dont want to regret getting into a full time job position, at such an early age, and with the average retiring age of 60. I would be working all my life anyway. Also the apprenticeship is a 8-5, and I would need to wake up at 5am to get there by train and would come back home at around 6:30

So a question is, why don't I go to uni where its a couple hours a day and have the extra free time to have 'fun' and have the experience.

Also, yes there's the reason that theres's no debt etc. But disregarding the fact about money, as that's not an issue. What other points is valid?

Thanks

Hi, if you ask my opinion, you seem to really want to go to uni! The uni experience is very important to a lot of people and if you think that this is something you want to experience, then surely it is the right thing to do. Engineering (and any technology based stuff tbh) is a highly valued, highly employable and highly paid job so I don’t think you will have any issue finding a job in the future. Seeing as the apprenticeship is quite long when you think about it, money/debt won’t be much of an issue for you and you seemingly want to go to uni, university might be the best opportunity for you. There will always be opportunities for work. Hope this helps
Reply 4
Hi, if you ask my opinion, you seem to really want to go to uni! The uni experience is very important to a lot of people and if you think that this is something you want to experience, then surely it is the right thing to do. Engineering (and any technology based stuff tbh) is a highly valued, highly employable and highly paid job so I don’t think you will have any issue finding a job in the future. Seeing as the apprenticeship is quite long when you think about it, money/debt won’t be much of an issue for you and you seemingly want to go to uni, university might be the best opportunity for you. There will always be opportunities for work. Hope this helps

Yes the IT sector will always have opportunities which is correct.
I was talking to a student that was in the year above and I asked if he had any regrets doing an apprenticeship (in IT too)
He said 'Its really a choice, invest in your future now or go party for a few years.'

I'm so confused haha what to choose. As I don't want to turn down this great apprenticeship to go uni, then after I finish I regret not doing it and getting a digital & tech degree after the level 4/6 and have a 'guranteed' job at the end in the company.

Of course, if I go uni I will look for a job after. Or do an internship and hopefully get a job with them.
Yes the IT sector will always have opportunities which is correct.
I was talking to a student that was in the year above and I asked if he had any regrets doing an apprenticeship (in IT too)
He said 'Its really a choice, invest in your future now or go party for a few years.'

I'm so confused haha what to choose. As I don't want to turn down this great apprenticeship to go uni, then after I finish I regret not doing it and getting a digital & tech degree after the level 4/6 and have a 'guranteed' job at the end in the company.

Of course, if I go uni I will look for a job after. Or do an internship and hopefully get a job with them.

It’s a difficult situation to be in but going to university and getting a degree is investing in your future. It might help to think about what uni you might consider going to: if it’s anything in the top 20, then a degree is certainly going to hold a lot of value. Even if it isn’t in the top 20, degrees are always helpful in finding jobs.

At the end of the day, it is entirely your choice and you shouldn’t be scared into making a choice based on the opinion of one person.
Reply 6
It’s a difficult situation to be in but going to university and getting a degree is investing in your future. It might help to think about what uni you might consider going to: if it’s anything in the top 20, then a degree is certainly going to hold a lot of value. Even if it isn’t in the top 20, degrees are always helpful in finding jobs.

At the end of the day, it is entirely your choice and you shouldn’t be scared into making a choice based on the opinion of one person.

The degree would be Bsc computer science 3 years.
I did UCAS applications anyway as a backup, I chose Brunel Uni as its close and would prefer it, and royal holloway as my two choices
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending