The Student Room Group

Are all Med School terms the same length?

1st year at KMMS

Started last year on 13th September.
Finish this year on 20th July. (Rest of campus left over a month ago)

I had 2 weeks off at Christmas and Easter.

I'm on campus for 42 weeks a year yet get the same maintenance loan as someone doing, lets say History, who does 36 weeks a year.

Are other Med students on similar term dates?

Anyone know if there is any other funding to apply for that makes up the difference in term dates?
Reply 1
Thanks ecolier.

I know we're subsidized. Just think it would be fairer if the SLC acknowledged that some courses are much longer than others. We still have to live on a week by week basis.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
Yeah I read that about the final year funding.

My parents will be supporting 3 of us through uni in my final year.
Original post by diggety
1st year at KMMS

Started last year on 13th September.
Finish this year on 20th July. (Rest of campus left over a month ago)

I had 2 weeks off at Christmas and Easter.

I'm on campus for 42 weeks a year yet get the same maintenance loan as someone doing, lets say History, who does 36 weeks a year.

Are other Med students on similar term dates?

Anyone know if there is any other funding to apply for that makes up the difference in term dates?

Note if your degree is longer than 30 weeks of term time, you can get a long course loan, which is bundled in with the maintenance loan. I believe this is assessed automatically but may be worth checking with SFE - however it's quite likely you are getting more than someone else on a shorter course, and may simply not realise it. Bear in mind you may also be getting different amounts due to different household incomes.

Read more here: https://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/products/full-time-undergraduate-education/full-time-maintenance-loan/long-courses/
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
Note if your degree is longer than 30 weeks of term time, you can get a long course loan, which is bundled in with the maintenance loan. I believe this is assessed automatically but may be worth checking with SFE - however it's quite likely you are getting more than someone else on a shorter course, and may simply not realise it. Bear in mind you may also be getting different amounts due to different household incomes.

Read more here: https://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/products/full-time-undergraduate-education/full-time-maintenance-loan/long-courses/

I had no idea about this. Thank you.
I will check with SFE as I've been awarded the bare minimum for next year. I don't think they have taken course length into account.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 5
Original post by diggety
I had no idea about this. Thank you.
I will check with SFE as I've been awarded the bare minimum for next year. I don't think they have taken course length into account.

If your household income is high enough, you do not get the extra weeks allowances, I believe. My children get the minimum maintenance loan, and we are expected to top up any extra needed
Reply 6
Original post by GANFYD
If your household income is high enough, you do not get the extra weeks allowances, I believe. My children get the minimum maintenance loan, and we are expected to top up any extra needed

Ah thanks Ganfyd.

If that what is is, then not worth applying.
We only just scrape into that top household income bracket and next year, they'll be supporting 3 of us through uni.

It's hard to get a summer job when I'm only back for 6 weeks, when most students can work for 12 weeks.

Student finance just assumes that if you're in a top bracket, then there will be plenty of spare cash.
Reply 7
Original post by diggety
Ah thanks Ganfyd.

If that what is is, then not worth applying.
We only just scrape into that top household income bracket and next year, they'll be supporting 3 of us through uni.

It's hard to get a summer job when I'm only back for 6 weeks, when most students can work for 12 weeks.

Student finance just assumes that if you're in a top bracket, then there will be plenty of spare cash.

I have had 3 I am supporting, at times, so even with a good income, it is tough! They do HCA work, GP admin, vaccinating and bar work/hospitality to top up income. Tutoring also worth considering, as can be quite flexible, I think. It’s just pretty rubbish, as they are also going to end up with large debts themselves….
Reply 8
Original post by GANFYD
I have had 3 I am supporting, at times, so even with a good income, it is tough! They do HCA work, GP admin, vaccinating and bar work/hospitality to top up income. Tutoring also worth considering, as can be quite flexible, I think. It’s just pretty rubbish, as they are also going to end up with large debts themselves….

Thanks again Ganfyd.
I'm sure your kids appreciate the support you give them.
Reply 9
Original post by diggety
Thanks again Ganfyd.
I'm sure your kids appreciate the support you give them.

I think they do, but doesn't stop the rows about being taken for grated :lol:
Good luck with the rest of your course :smile:
Original post by GANFYD
I think they do, but doesn't stop the rows about being taken for grated :lol:

Taken for grated ? That's hard cheese
Original post by meddad
Taken for grated ? That's hard cheese

That is what they tell me! :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending