The Student Room Group

Midwifery as a second degree

Hi, So I am a registered mental health nurse. I have been thinking for a while that I would love to be a midwife. SFE state that you cannot get funding for training in a healthcare profession you are already registered in. Is midwifery included in the same registered profession? As it is not a different nursing profession such as child or adult? Any help would be appreciated 😊
Can you get NHS funding for a second degree.
Students who are undertaking their second degree, where their first was not a healthcare related subject, are able to apply for NHS LSF and the additional funding.

https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk files
New funding FAQs - NHSBSA

A NHS registered midwife.
Original post by BethM27
Hi, So I am a registered mental health nurse. I have been thinking for a while that I would love to be a midwife. SFE state that you cannot get funding for training in a healthcare profession you are already registered in. Is midwifery included in the same registered profession? As it is not a different nursing profession such as child or adult? Any help would be appreciated 😊

Students who are undertaking their second degree, where their first was not a healthcare related subject, are able to apply for NHS LSF and the additional funding.

Reply 3
Original post by Tracey_W

Unfortunately, one of the eligibility criteria for the LSF is that you have to be eligible for the maintenance loan and tuition fee from SFE. 🤦🏽*♀️

You would think it would be a little easier to be able to continue work in the NHS just in a different field. Makes you wonder what they are thinking, if they could keep staff in the nhs but seem to rather them leave entirely than just retrain.

Thank you for your reply 😊
Original post by BethM27
Unfortunately, one of the eligibility criteria for the LSF is that you have to be eligible for the maintenance loan and tuition fee from SFE. 🤦🏽*♀️

You would think it would be a little easier to be able to continue work in the NHS just in a different field. Makes you wonder what they are thinking, if they could keep staff in the nhs but seem to rather them leave entirely than just retrain.

Thank you for your reply 😊

Ok I see that you will have trouble in getting funding looking at what you have said on things
Have you directly contacted SFE and ask them about things. !!
I totally agree with you about them making things easier to maintain staff that they have by giving them the opportunity to continue there nursing by helping them with the university course and provide funding for it.

I don't know if all the separate UK student finance companies does the same thing like SFE does.

Unfortunately I am a NHS Scotland trained midwife, so unsure about how the English system works when it comes to funding.

No worries in replying 😃😃😃

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending