The Student Room Group

Favourite LGBT+ film, book, TV show, song, etc!

It's already the final day of Pride month. Here's a fun one to end the month on: share some of your favourite LGBT+ media! :woo:
(edited 1 year ago)
I'll throw out some of my favourites to kick things off. Narrowing it down to one was tough, but I knew if I didn't limit myself to only one I would have 10-20 per category. Don't feel the need to be this strict though! :lol:

Film: The Boys in the Band
TV Show: Twenties
Book: The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid
Song: Panic by Boy George
(edited 1 year ago)
Most of the LGBTQ+ media (or at least media that contains LGBTQ+ themes/characters) that I've seen has been TV shows so things like Wynonna Earp, Orphan Black etc. I'd like to watch more LGBTQ+ films and try reading more books (probably try to read some graphic novels like Heart Stopper).

In terms of music, I don't know if I have any specific songs but I like LGBTQ+ artists such as Lucy Spraggan :biggrin:
Book- If We Were Villains by M. L. Rio
Only finished it last night/this morning and I'm obsessed :lol:
From what I've watched that's LGBT+.......
Heart-stopper; Elite; Love Victor, was all good stuff.
Not technically an LGBTQ+ movie (since Disney are unlikely to ever admit that it can be interpreted/read this way) but I kinda like how the Frozen franchise - and Elsa's character in particular - can be viewed through a queer lens :biggrin:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Not technically an LGBTQ+ movie (since Disney are unlikely to ever admit that it can be interpreted/read this way) but I kinda like how the Frozen franchise - and Elsa's character in particular - can be viewed through a queer lens :biggrin:

No :s-smilie:
Original post by rosy_posy
No :s-smilie:

It's not to everyone's taste, granted! There was an academic symposium on the first Frozen film a while ago and I remember seeing quite a few papers about queer readings of the film in the programme. Personally, I can see how that kinda LGBTQ+ interpretation is empowering for people :yep:
Original post by 1582
I'll throw out some of my favourites to kick things off. Narrowing it down to one was tough, but I knew if I didn't limit myself to only one I would have 10-20 per category. Don't feel the need to be this strict though! :lol:

Film: The Boys in the Band
TV Show: Twenties
Book: The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid
Song: Panic by Boy George

Ooo i really liked twenties too! nice to watch queer black women, I kinda identified with Hattie :colondollar:
It's not to everyone's taste, granted! There was an academic symposium on the first Frozen film a while ago and I remember seeing quite a few papers about queer readings of the film in the programme. Personally, I can see how that kinda LGBTQ+ interpretation is empowering for people :yep:

I get that LGBT rep is important but I don't think Frozen is that
I get that LGBT rep is important but I don't think Frozen is that

That's OK, not everyone has to like it or agree! There's more than one way to skin a cat, and similarly more than one way to read these films :h:
That's OK, not everyone has to like it or agree! There's more than one way to skin a cat, and similarly more than one way to read these films :h:

Okay but if I wanted to watch a film with LGBT rep I wouldn't choose a kids film tbh 😂
Okay but if I wanted to watch a film with LGBT rep I wouldn't choose a kids film tbh 😂

Well tbf, I don't think Disney planned or think of it as an LGBTQ+ film series :tongue: A kid's film is as good as any place to start as any - especially when the references are very ambiguous/subtle and not sexualised in nature :smile: Normalising LGBTQ+ characters for all ages is important, imho :yep:
Well tbf, I don't think Disney planned or think of it as an LGBTQ+ film series :tongue: A kid's film is as good as any place to start as any - especially when the references are very ambiguous/subtle and not sexualised in nature :smile: Normalising LGBTQ+ characters for all ages is important, imho :yep:

I agree, it would be a big step forward if even a minor character in a kids film was LGBT :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest