The Student Room Group

Prices for a lads holiday

Hi

Looking to book a lads holiday next year, heard a good budget for flights + accommodation is £500

I know the usual destinations offer cheap drink etc. so is this a good price or is that quite expensive?
research is key
Reply 2
yes I know, that's why I'm asking on a forum :smile:
try tripadvisor
Original post by ol06
Hi

Looking to book a lads holiday next year, heard a good budget for flights + accommodation is £500

I know the usual destinations offer cheap drink etc. so is this a good price or is that quite expensive?

Is that for a week?
Yea I'd double that. £500 barely covers a week in the UK now.
Reply 6
Original post by normaw
Is that for a week?

Yes for a week

Original post by StriderHort
Yea I'd double that. £500 barely covers a week in the UK now.

We're going abroad (still looking at the usual places like maga, malia etc)
Original post by ol06
Yes for a week

We're going abroad (still looking at the usual places like maga, malia etc)

It very much depends on how organised you are in terms of when you book flights and accommodation, and when you want to go. It is more expensive if you travel in school holidays. If this is a post-A level trip, it will be cheaper the first couple of weeks of July and after the first week of September. Keep an eye on budget airlines and book as soon as you can once they release flights to bag the cheapest tickets. Easyjet are currently booking to May 2023.

I found that it is usually cheaper to book flights and accommodation separately, but it might be worth checking out package deals to some of the resorts you are interested in too. I use Booking.com to research accommodation. If you find something you like, it is often worth seeing if you can find the accommodation's website and booking direct as it can be cheaper. I don't like AirBnB as the majority of the commission they take is from the purchaser and not the provider, and this can be a considerable chunk.

Sorry I can't help with budget for entertainment, etc once you are there - a few decades have passed since I holidayed with my mates. :frown:
Original post by ol06
Hi

£500 is probably on the tighter side, especially as your booking very late & it’s already close to school holidays. But i also think it’s doable.

drinks will be cheapish, but depending where you go not as cheap as you think. The biger bars/clubs still charge more as people want to be their, and the dirt cheap bars are either out the way or they use dodgy booze. I would still be prepared to pay 5 euro a drink. What you may find is restaurants are a lot cheaper.
Original post by mnot
especially as your booking very late & it’s already close to school holidays.

The OP is planning to go next year.
Reply 10
Original post by normaw
It very much depends on how organised you are in terms of when you book flights and accommodation, and when you want to go. It is more expensive if you travel in school holidays. If this is a post-A level trip, it will be cheaper the first couple of weeks of July and after the first week of September. Keep an eye on budget airlines and book as soon as you can once they release flights to bag the cheapest tickets. Easyjet are currently booking to May 2023.

I found that it is usually cheaper to book flights and accommodation separately, but it might be worth checking out package deals to some of the resorts you are interested in too. I use Booking.com to research accommodation. If you find something you like, it is often worth seeing if you can find the accommodation's website and booking direct as it can be cheaper. I don't like AirBnB as the majority of the commission they take is from the purchaser and not the provider, and this can be a considerable chunk.

Sorry I can't help with budget for entertainment, etc once you are there - a few decades have passed since I holidayed with my mates. :frown:

July 2023 is the current plan. We've looked at flights but could only find jet2 (which is more expensive) as ryanair and easyjet don't let you book as far in advance like you said

We considered an AirBnB as its then our own space to chill out during the day, but it's difficult finding one cheap enough, and that is happy to host a group of young people, as most prefer families

we're not too worried about money when we're there - most of us have debit cards anyway if we run out. I'm more just wanting to see if £500 for accommodation and flights is about average or is that too much/too little?
Original post by ol06
July 2023 is the current plan. We've looked at flights but could only find jet2 (which is more expensive) as ryanair and easyjet don't let you book as far in advance like you said

We considered an AirBnB as its then our own space to chill out during the day, but it's difficult finding one cheap enough, and that is happy to host a group of young people, as most prefer families

we're not too worried about money when we're there - most of us have debit cards anyway if we run out. I'm more just wanting to see if £500 for accommodation and flights is about average or is that too much/too little?

This is the link to the release dates for easyjet that I was looking at - it says flights up to 8 May 2023 are available for booking.

Booking.com also advertises apartments - just change the filters on the left-hand side.

£500 should be enough - if you can grab them early, flights should come in under £100 (if not maybe around £150). £350 each for a shared apartment should be more than enough. You could probably do it for less but prices vary with quality, location, etc.
Reply 12
Original post by hclml
a drink with a mixer is 5 euros in malia (as of this year), i'd recommend pre-drinking
book your flight and accommodation separately as it is far cheaper and don't be afraid to browse around
Tripadvisor compares & shows you the cheapest travel agencies to book with for each hotel (generally avoid expedia & booking.com as they tend to be far pricier than agoda or travelrepublic)
don't forget many clubs charge entrance fees and so factor that in

Ah cool, should be fine if we can get hotel and flights cheap enough

looking at flights and jet2 is ridiculously expensive (looking at £400+ per person), any tips? easyjet looks to be the best but their schedule only goes to May as @normaw said, and ryanair only to march. don't suppose anyone knows roughly when they tend to release them for july/august next year?
Original post by ol06
Ah cool, should be fine if we can get hotel and flights cheap enough

looking at flights and jet2 is ridiculously expensive (looking at £400+ per person), any tips? easyjet looks to be the best but their schedule only goes to May as @normaw said, and ryanair only to march. don't suppose anyone knows roughly when they tend to release them for july/august next year?

If you like easyJet's Facebook page, there will be a notice a few days before the next release goes on sale. Alternatively, you can sign up to their email alerts.

Quick Reply

Latest