The Student Room Group

Masters in Computer Science vs conversion

Hi,

I really want to learn to program and have been doing online youtube courses aswell as the harvard CS50 course and really want to pursue a career in tech. I have a 2:1 finance and accounting degree from Brunel university.
I also have a B in A-level Maths.

Would it be worth applying for Bath's computer science MSc or similar programmes like that or would that be too challenging?

I'm seeing people recommend the conversion courses, is that regarded the same as a master's in computer science?

Not too sure what to do, any advice would be appreciated.
Reply 1
*bump*
Original post by kf141998
Hi,

I really want to learn to program and have been doing online youtube courses aswell as the harvard CS50 course and really want to pursue a career in tech. I have a 2:1 finance and accounting degree from Brunel university.
I also have a B in A-level Maths.

Would it be worth applying for Bath's computer science MSc or similar programmes like that or would that be too challenging?

I'm seeing people recommend the conversion courses, is that regarded the same as a master's in computer science?

Not too sure what to do, any advice would be appreciated.

IMO no point in doing MSc conversions. Grind Leetcode/Hackerrank and interview for Junior SWE roles. You have a numerate degree already so that will pry open the door for you slightly. I would rather attend a bootcamp than do a conversion course.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Blue_Cow
IMO no point in doing MSc conversions. Grind Leetcode/Hackerrank and interview for Junior SWE roles. You have a numerate degree already so that will pry open the door for you slightly. I would rather attend a bootcamp than do a conversion course.

What about for people that come from non numerate degrees like History for example?
Original post by beatricehalley
What about for people that come from non numerate degrees like History for example?

I have worked with engineers with non numerate degrees. Same applies IMO. Grind Leetcode or join a bootcamp.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 5
I have worked with engineers with non numerate degrees. Same applies IMO. Grind Leetcode or join a bootcamp.

Are there any specific boot camps you would recommend, there are soo many, teaching so many different things, I'm not too sure.
Are there any specific boot camps you would recommend, there are soo many, teaching so many different things, I'm not too sure.

Nope. I have no specific recommendations.
Reply 7
Nope. I have no specific recommendations.

No prob, thank you for your advice, gonna go and do some research and see whats the best course of action for me
No prob, thank you for your advice, gonna go and do some research and see whats the best course of action for me

No problem. I think you should definitely consider just jumping into some self-study + applying for junior positions straight away before dumping thousands on an MSc or a bootcamp. Worth a try.
Reply 9
No problem. I think you should definitely consider just jumping into some self-study + applying for junior positions straight away before dumping thousands on an MSc or a bootcamp. Worth a try.

yup, i've already started some courses from youtube which were recommended by a developer friend, my concern was that after I've learnt what i need to know, employers won't pay attention to my CV because i do not have a CS degree.
yup, i've already started some courses from youtube which were recommended by a developer friend, my concern was that after I've learnt what i need to know, employers won't pay attention to my CV because i do not have a CS degree.

There are some employers which actually have specific intakes for non-CS degree holders. JP Morgan via their TechConnect programme and also Microsoft spring to mind.
Reply 11
There are some employers which actually have specific intakes for non-CS degree holders. JP Morgan via their TechConnect programme and also Microsoft spring to mind.

oh wow didn't know that, thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending