The Student Room Group

Placement

I am currently on placement in a vascular/urology/ortho ward. I have 29 proficiencies and I dont know what to write on the learning logs. Please can anyone help? I don't understand the proficiencies.
Original post by Aliclg74
I am currently on placement in a vascular/urology/ortho ward. I have 29 proficiencies and I dont know what to write on the learning logs. Please can anyone help? I don't understand the proficiencies.

Can you give some examples of proficiencies you need to meet please? And do you have any examples of learning logs provided to you?
(I only ask as I am a practice assessor (mentor) on a vascular/general surgery ward, all my students need to do is get me to sign proficiencies off, they don't need to do learing logs!)
Original post by Emily_B
Can you give some examples of proficiencies you need to meet please? And do you have any examples of learning logs provided to you?
(I only ask as I am a practice assessor (mentor) on a vascular/general surgery ward, all my students need to do is get me to sign proficiencies off, they don't need to do learing logs!)

I was going to tag you in for this Emily knowing you worked on those wards but you beaten me to it x
Reply 3
Original post by Emily_B

Hi

Demonstrate and apply knowledge of commonly encountered presentations to inform a holistic nursing assessment including physical, psychological and sociocultural needs.

Demonstrates understanding of a person's age and development in undertaking an accurate nursing assessment.

Accurately processes all information gathered during the assessment process to identify needs for fundamental nursing care and develop and document person-centred care plans.

Theres some examples of proficiencies and this is the learning log

Identify the learning opportunity you want to work towards
Goal for today (agreed with Practice Supervisior)
Reality (What experience do I have of this?)
Options How might this be achieved during the shift (agreed with Practice Assessor)?
Following discussion with my Practice Supervisor, the aspects that went well and challenges
Next time I will consider the following
And then feedback from the Practice Supervisor

Demonstrate and apply knowledge of commonly encountered presentations to inform a holistic nursing assessment including physical, psychological and sociocultural needs.

Demonstrates understanding of a person's age and development in undertaking an accurate nursing assessment.

Accurately processes all information gathered during the assessment process to identify needs for fundamental nursing care and develop and document person-centred care plans.

Theres some examples of proficiencies and this is the learning log

*There's.
Common proficiencies... which seem harder than they actually are.

Seeing as some of your patients are vascular patients, many of them will be at risk of losing a limb... how many of them have blocked arteries secondary to smoking or poorly controlled diabetes (amongst other comorbidities)? How many of them are having angiograms and angioplasties pre bypass surgery, to save having to amputate? How many of them have leg ulcers? How many of them have reduced mobility as a result? You'll frequently see vascular patients refusing to get into bed overnight, or they'll dangle the affected leg over the side of the bed, because it's too painful to keep it elevated (and yes that's completely normal for vascular patients).
How many of your ortho patients are elderly and have broken a hip? How many have some form of arthritis and have needed a joint - especially hips and knees - replaced?
How many of these patients are religious and ask to see the hospital chaplain/a religious minister of their choice? How many of them rely on (extended) family and have 5 relatives and 3 neighbours ring every day? (That's part of the sociocultural and psychological side)

Are they older and have alzheimer's? Do they appear to not understand, but actually just can't hear you? (I've seen that one... mental capacity assessment initially said a patient didn't have capacity because they couldn't retain the information... when they just couldn't hear it in the first place... the patient retained and understood info and made a decision perfectly once they could hear us!) Do they have a learning disability? Do they interpret things differently thanks to age?

Person centred care plans can include "make sure their hearing aids are turned on", "daily dressings using XYZ", "assess pain this many times a day", "mobilise using these mobility aids".

Identify the learning opportunity you want to work towards
Goal for today (agreed with Practice Supervisior)
Reality (What experience do I have of this?)
Options How might this be achieved during the shift (agreed with Practice Assessor)?
Following discussion with my Practice Supervisor, the aspects that went well and challenges
Next time I will consider the following
And then feedback from the Practice Supervisor

Helping with a discharge does all these 3, as does helping with an admission. It could also be in doing a dressing: so you need to do all dressings today, why do the patients have these wounds (ulcers or surgical wounds), what experience do you have of dressings, do you need tissue viability nurse support to do the dressings this shift, what could you have changed or done better.
Reply 5
So do I have to do assessments on the patients and admissions/discharges
So do I have to do assessments on the patients and admissions/discharges

How do you think you document person centred care plans if you don't do any assessments?
These are only examples of things you can do to achieve the proficiencies. I've also given you things to watch out for with patients (especially the vascular ones)that you can use to amend their care plans to suit their needs.
Original post by Emily_B
*There's.
Common proficiencies... which seem harder than they actually are.

Seeing as some of your patients are vascular patients, many of them will be at risk of losing a limb... how many of them have blocked arteries secondary to smoking or poorly controlled diabetes (amongst other comorbidities)? How many of them are having angiograms and angioplasties pre bypass surgery, to save having to amputate? How many of them have leg ulcers? How many of them have reduced mobility as a result? You'll frequently see vascular patients refusing to get into bed overnight, or they'll dangle the affected leg over the side of the bed, because it's too painful to keep it elevated (and yes that's completely normal for vascular patients).
How many of your ortho patients are elderly and have broken a hip? How many have some form of arthritis and have needed a joint - especially hips and knees - replaced?
How many of these patients are religious and ask to see the hospital chaplain/a religious minister of their choice? How many of them rely on (extended) family and have 5 relatives and 3 neighbours ring every day? (That's part of the sociocultural and psychological side)

Are they older and have alzheimer's? Do they appear to not understand, but actually just can't hear you? (I've seen that one... mental capacity assessment initially said a patient didn't have capacity because they couldn't retain the information... when they just couldn't hear it in the first place... the patient retained and understood info and made a decision perfectly once they could hear us!) Do they have a learning disability? Do they interpret things differently thanks to age?

Person centred care plans can include "make sure their hearing aids are turned on", "daily dressings using XYZ", "assess pain this many times a day", "mobilise using these mobility aids".

Helping with a discharge does all these 3, as does helping with an admission. It could also be in doing a dressing: so you need to do all dressings today, why do the patients have these wounds (ulcers or surgical wounds), what experience do you have of dressings, do you need tissue viability nurse support to do the dressings this shift, what could you have changed or done better.

Brilliant advice Emily that you have given the OP. 😉🙂 x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending