The Student Room Group

Applying for masters

I'm pretty sure I've left it too late, however there are still some courses open with deadlines in august. The initial plan was to apply for 2023 intake instead but I don't know how and when to ask my personal tutor for a reference since I graduated this year and will not have access to my uni email next year.
I'd appreciate it if someone could explain how I could go about getting a reference next year. Should I just apply this year for a course? I would but I don't have any experience for my application..
Reply 1
Original post by idk1186710
I'm pretty sure I've left it too late, however there are still some courses open with deadlines in august. The initial plan was to apply for 2023 intake instead but I don't know how and when to ask my personal tutor for a reference since I graduated this year and will not have access to my uni email next year.
I'd appreciate it if someone could explain how I could go about getting a reference next year. Should I just apply this year for a course? I would but I don't have any experience for my application..

Hey,
Regardless, I would just ask for a reference, could always come in handy for what ever reason.

Secondly, its not your place to say its to late! Thats up to them, and Thats a good thing! Ofc mainly depending on what year you're in or course you're studying its University discretion. If you really want it do it, personally I give and present so they would be silly not to accept me :wink:

Hope that helps.
I also applied just 2 days ago for masters .. but I really need to get in this year ... will they reject me bcz I submitted my application on the deadline day?
Reply 3
Original post by ben_mak
Hey,
Regardless, I would just ask for a reference, could always come in handy for what ever reason.

Secondly, its not your place to say its to late! Thats up to them, and Thats a good thing! Ofc mainly depending on what year you're in or course you're studying its University discretion. If you really want it do it, personally I give and present so they would be silly not to accept me :wink:

Hope that helps.

Hey, thank you so much for the advice! I'll email my personal tutor soon and ask but I'm seriously panicking as I don't want to ruin my chances of doing a masters by not have a reference available should I choose to do a masters next year instead. Since finishing my final year in May, I realised that I don't have a plan on what to do next hence the panic applying for masters. Do you think my personal tutor will still be willing to give a reference next year even though they're not technically my personal tutor anymore?
you can ask for reference from your tutor until 2 years after your graduation even if you don't have access to your uni email at least for my uni. I just applied two years after my graduation and my tutor sent me the reference

Hey, thank you so much for the advice! I'll email my personal tutor soon and ask but I'm seriously panicking as I don't want to ruin my chances of doing a masters by not have a reference available should I choose to do a masters next year instead. Since finishing my final year in May, I realised that I don't have a plan on what to do next hence the panic applying for masters. Do you think my personal tutor will still be willing to give a reference next year even though they're not technically my personal tutor anymore?
(edited 1 year ago)

You don’t need a Uni email address to ask for a reference. You can contact them from any address and say “hi, it’s me from XYZ, I am applying for a masters and was wondering if you could provide a reference on my behalf?”.

You can still apply to any course that is open, but you shouldn’t be rushing around and applying to anything that’s available. Masters courses are expensive and you may be better researching uni’s and courses in more detail and applying next cycle.

Unis should state in their entry requirements whether they value work exp or not.
Original post by Amarah Mohmd
I also applied just 2 days ago for masters .. but I really need to get in this year ... will they reject me bcz I submitted my application on the deadline day?

So long as you submitted it before the deadline you should still be considered. On the day is fine. But by leaving it late, there may be fewer places remaining and stronger competition than if you had gotten in earlier. Nothing you can do about that now though.
Reply 7
Original post by Admit-One
You don’t need a Uni email address to ask for a reference. You can contact them from any address and say “hi, it’s me from XYZ, I am applying for a masters and was wondering if you could provide a reference on my behalf?”.

You can still apply to any course that is open, but you shouldn’t be rushing around and applying to anything that’s available. Masters courses are expensive and you may be better researching uni’s and courses in more detail and applying next cycle.

Unis should state in their entry requirements whether they value work exp or not.

thanks! what do I do if my personal tutor has left the university by the time I require a reference?
thanks! what do I do if my personal tutor has left the university by the time I require a reference?

Either ask another academic at the uni for one, or see if you can find forwarding details for where your tutor has moved on to. They can still provide a ref even if they are working elsewhere.
Reply 9
Original post by Amarah Mohmd

Hey Amarah, my inbox is still new, so cant PM people back yet... but when I can I will reply!

And no it''s very unlikely to be rejected due to submitting on deadline day, and pretty sure it would be breaking policies in place as that is the allowance of time to submit.
(Original post by idk1186710)Hey, thank you so much for the advice! I'll email my personal tutor soon and ask but I'm seriously panicking as I don't want to ruin my chances of doing a masters by not have a reference available should I choose to do a masters next year instead. Since finishing my final year in May, I realised that I don't have a plan on what to do next hence the panic applying for masters. Do you think my personal tutor will still be willing to give a reference next year even though they're not technically my personal tutor anymore?

No problem! Did you request in the end? Better always to utilise some chance than no chance, and you could always email the student services or head of year form former place of study surely another teacher will know enough of you to give one if your struggling

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending