The Student Room Group

Getting a job as a radiology assistant / HCA or other healthcare jobs

Hi, im on my gap year and im planning on applying to medicine this year. I was wondering when to start applying for jobs because i wanted to start working after my ucat/bmat exams. I was also wondering if anyone could help me with an idea of how a CV applying for such a job should look since ive never had a job before. Any help is appreciated!
Reply 1
Hiya! I am also applying to medicine this year so apologies if I tell you things you already know! I guess since it's a job in a healthcare setting, any volunteering either in local care homes or charity shops would be great to put into your cv. Plus you'll have more than enough time to do enough volunteering to mention it in your cv before you take you ucat and bmat. You could even try to find volunteering opportunities in local hospitals, I believe they're starting to open up again after covid, at least in my area they are. When I applied to my first job at 16 I didn't have much to put on my cv but any online courses you have done as well would be very good to include too, you could even do a course related to the healthcare job you want to apply for and pop that into your cv too before the exams! Hope this helps and good luck in your ucat and bmat exams :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Pxnyl
Hiya! I am also applying to medicine this year so apologies if I tell you things you already know! I guess since it's a job in a healthcare setting, any volunteering either in local care homes or charity shops would be great to put into your cv. Plus you'll have more than enough time to do enough volunteering to mention it in your cv before you take you ucat and bmat. You could even try to find volunteering opportunities in local hospitals, I believe they're starting to open up again after covid, at least in my area they are. When I applied to my first job at 16 I didn't have much to put on my cv but any online courses you have done as well would be very good to include too, you could even do a course related to the healthcare job you want to apply for and pop that into your cv too before the exams! Hope this helps and good luck in your ucat and bmat exams :smile:

Thank you! ill be sure to include any volunteering and work experience ive done then. How long did it take for a reply once you had applied to your job if you don’t mind me asking. Good luck on your ucat/bmat too!
Reply 3
Original post by tbg1213
Thank you! ill be sure to include any volunteering and work experience ive done then. How long did it take for a reply once you had applied to your job if you don’t mind me asking. Good luck on your ucat/bmat too! :smile:

I think it must have taken around 2 weeks to get a call back for an interview at H&M which was a lot faster than my other job applications! Recently I applied to a volunteering opportunity at my local hospital which again took around 2 weeks to get a response about my application for an interview. From that I'm assuming if you're application is good then the companies/ organisations will want to take around 2 weeks to make a decision about your application. Have you decided which healthcare job you may be applying for?

Hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest