The Student Room Group

Trade versus University

Why do so many young people prefer University over learning a trade?
Is it because it's about the uni lifestyle and the old fashioned way of thinking that to get a well paid job you need a degree?
Most trades these days are extremely well paid and you will never be short of work. A good Mechanic is on £700+ a week. If you work at a main dealers probably a bit more and Builders, Sparkies and Plumbers are very well paid jobs.
You earn the same amount doing a trade job as you would doing a uni job.
Reply 1
I was a concreter, doing the posh stuff like PIC as well as the 'normal' stuff. It is backbreaking, cold, repetitive etc. Sure the money is ok (better now than when I left it) but it was just shite.

I went to university and now I'm an academic, which suits me much better.

But most people aren't like me and I think many have been sold on the promise of degree = more money. It's still broadly true, iirc, but you're right that there are other ways that are likely better suited to some youngsters. These alternatives should be encouraged.
Original post by DT1988
Why do so many young people prefer University over learning a trade?
Is it because it's about the uni lifestyle and the old fashioned way of thinking that to get a well paid job you need a degree?
Most trades these days are extremely well paid and you will never be short of work. A good Mechanic is on £700+ a week. If you work at a main dealers probably a bit more and Builders, Sparkies and Plumbers are very well paid jobs.
You earn the same amount doing a trade job as you would doing a uni job.

Probably because university is rammed down the gizzard of pretty much every student apart from maybe the bottom-set

The university lifestyle is also highly glamourised

And people do not want to necessarily do the "dirty fingernail" jobs that you've mentioned

Some people think that a STEM degree is an automatic golden ticket to a high-paying job

It's also the easiest exit route out of further education. If you can scrape a pass in your A-levels/BTECs you will find at least one university that will accept you nowadays. Just fill out a UCAS form and you're in. No need to attend job interviews or assessment centres.

I would encourage all students to explore (normal/higher/degree) apprenticeships in addition to university.
(edited 1 year ago)
as someone wanting to go to uni i think its alot to do with the fact more vocational pathways are not advertised as much in schools. + there is a bit of a stigma over going into trade instead of uni that people who do this only do it because they are stupid or couldn't get into uni which obviously isnt true. people are also worried that they will miss out on the uni lifestyle with there friends that do go to uni.
Reply 4
Original post by Spelunker
as someone wanting to go to uni i think its alot to do with the fact more vocational pathways are not advertised as much in schools. + there is a bit of a stigma over going into trade instead of uni that people who do this only do it because they are stupid or couldn't get into uni which obviously isnt true. people are also worried that they will miss out on the uni lifestyle with there friends that do go to uni.

All of the best paid most secure jobs are trades. If you want to earn a fortune then become a welder or work on an oil rig.
So I get paid as much as a good mechanic despite being at the very start of my career? Rather than get dirty or do a physical job, I sit on my backside drinking coffee and get to work from home a lot of the time?

That’s why I picked a graduate career.
Reply 6
Original post by Crazed cat lady
So I get paid as much as a good mechanic despite being at the very start of my career? Rather than get dirty or do a physical job, I sit on my backside drinking coffee and get to work from home a lot of the time?

That’s why I picked a graduate career.

But if you need your car repaired you need a mechanic. Obviously your education wasn't that good. What a condescending reply yours was. I can guarantee a welder makes more than you ever will.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by DT1988
But if you need your car repaired you need a mechanic. Obviously your education wasn't that good. What a condescending reply yours was. I can guarantee a welder makes more than you ever will.

Taking a route through life that offers a certain standard of living without having to break my back is hardly condescending. I’ve done non-graduate roles before in the hospitality industry. Working long, unsocial hours in return for little pay is not what I aspire to.

As for needing a mechanic. That is hardly a revelation. Division of labour is and has been fundamental to every human society.
Original post by DT1988

And… you are asking in another thread about accommodation at Newcastle University. If trades pay so well, why aren’t you training to be a welder yourself?
Reply 9
And… you are asking in another thread about accommodation at Newcastle University. If trades pay so well, why aren’t you training to be a welder yourself?

I have a sea front apartment where I can walk along the beach every night after work in South Shields. I was giving people advice if they don't want to live in Newcastle theirs surrounding areas like Shields and Jarrow where it's cheaper for students. I'm too old to retrain now.
Original post by DT1988
That's where me and you differ. I'd rather be breaking my back. I'd rather have a cup of coffee on a building site with the lads. I would absolutely hate sitting in an office on a computer because it's not how I do things. When I go home and my knees are aching it means I've achieved something unlike sitting painting my finger nails like you do.

I’m starting to sense some envy here.

Regardless, it is great that you enjoy an honest day’s labour. Of course, the issue is that manual work have higher rates of chronic work-related health problems. Those sore knees become knackered knees as you get older.
Original post by DT1988
I have a sea front apartment where I can walk along the beach every night after work in South Shields. I was giving people advice if they don't want to live in Newcastle theirs surrounding areas like Shields and Jarrow where it's cheaper for students. I'm too old to retrain now.

I’ll keep my opinions about South Tyneside to myself as they are not positive.

However, it is my education that allowed me to escape the North East. As much as I retain an affinity for the region, I simply do not want to live somewhere with so limited opportunities.

And thank you for the abusive DM.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 12
I’ll keep my opinions about South Tyneside to myself as they are not positive.

However, it is my education that allowed me to escape the North East. As much as I retain an affinity for the region, I simply do not want to live somewhere with so limited opportunities.

And thank you for the abusive DM.

In South Tyneside everyone knows everyone else's mam so if you misbehave people will phone your mam rather than the police
Original post by DT1988
Theirs no envy involved because I do a mans job with other men instead of a woman's job.

??? both men and women do trade jobs...
Reply 14
Original post by Spelunker
??? both men and women do trade jobs...

Not where we live lol.

Quick Reply

Latest