The Student Room Group

What TV shows started good but have become terrible?

Towie for myself
Riverdale, but wouldn't say it started of 'good'
Original post by mangolychee
Riverdale, but wouldn't say it started of 'good'

riverdale startd okay but in the end it turned into a laughable mess. still enjoy watching it just to cringe at how bad it is.
Buffys the vampire slayer though this was of no fault of its own.

Edit: I though this was shows that started bad but ended good. Ignore buffy then lmao.
(edited 1 year ago)
oh also pretty little liars
Literally every CW superhero show, especially The Flash
Once Upon a Time -gave up at series 4 i stopped due to the plot :frown:
Riverdale - gave up when the episodes started being released weekly on netflix so about series 3
(edited 1 year ago)
Gotham
Weeds
Original post by Spelunker
Gotham

Yes! I loved it to start with but it just turned to ****.

Also Hannibal. So much potential. :frown:
My hero
The first 5 series were amazing.
In the last series they had a different actor to play thermoman and it ruined it
Original post by Sabertooth
Yes! I loved it to start with but it just turned to ****.

Also Hannibal. So much potential. :frown:

I liked Hannibal pretty right up until the timeskip, then I kind of lost interest (although did eventually watch it). That said I think the only reason they did it that way is because it was cancelled and then brought back for a mini season which was the timeskip bit. So that slightly weaker ending I think is explainable at least!

There are other shows that went on way longer and were given plenty of time to set up and then wrap up a decent ending and still ****ed it up (from what I hear, Game of Thrones...or rather what I don't hear about it, since nobody ever talks about it because how bad the last season apparently was, despite it running for nearly 10 years as "prestige" TV lol).

That said I checked out of GoT pretty early because it became clear they only had two actual narrative devices: sexual violence, and actual violence leading to major character death. The latter was like, novel the first couple times then was like "ok whatever I'm just not going to become invested in any of these characters now" (which itself is a bad writing outcome because if people aren't invested in the characters, what are you even doing?) and the former was extremely uncomfortable...also apparently a lot of it was largely created specifically for the show and was a major departure from the books?
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Chronoscope
Once Upon a Time -gave up at series 4 i stopped due to the plot :frown:
Riverdale - gave up when the episodes started being released weekly on netflix so about series 3

Regina
Yes once apon a time! The first season was good an the second was OK but after that it was so obvious how it was just repeating the same plot over and over again. Everything is fine, something upsets Regina, she get angry, they try to fix it but she just can't get along with Emma, more bad things, Henry has to fix it, bla bla bla then there all OKish.
Top of the list would have to be the Simpsons!
It is pretty sad to admit, but House MD:

The first three season were gold, number four and five still pretty good, but got worse with season six.

This TV show botched to finish it in time.
Lost and X-Files (yes, I'm old). And for the same reason - you can't just hint at There Is Something More Going On Here if actually there isn't. It's almost impossible to retrofit successfully, and they didn't. It needs to be there from the start, with what you show viewers early on consistent with it.
Original post by so-nick
Top of the list would have to be the Simpsons!

Agree without a doubt. This series lost the charm and originality for years ago. I lost the interest in season 13 or 14, now we are over 30.
Most sitcoms struggle with this as they have a good concept but can't keep it going as they develop the characters. I found Big Bang Theory and How I met your mother struggled with these.

The Simpsons, Futurama, South Park all now just parody the real world/films as they ran out of ideas.

Not going out hasn't been the same since Tim Vine left

Unfortunately a lot of shows are victims of their own success so try to keep going rather than ending at a good place.
Too many to list. :cry:
The worst 5 examples are:

1) Sabrina The Teenage Witch
2) Charmed (original version with Alyssa Milano)
3) Smallville
4) NCIS
5) The Mentalist

Quick Reply

Latest