The Student Room Group

Westminster 16+ admission

Hi,

I will be taking my Westminster 16+ exam this September and I will be taking maths further maths biology and chemistry. Does anyone who has done the exam before have any idea what will come up and the level of difficulty? I have read other forums saying that you need quickly adapt your knowledge to the question but is there anything specific I can do to prepare. Is the difficulty relatively the same as GCSE past papers or would I need to do biology or chemistry Olympiads which are much harder? Thank you.
I am not aware on this but I can help in doing the exams if at all w they will be offered online.
Original post by Ashirs
Hi,

I will be taking my Westminster 16+ exam this September and I will be taking maths further maths biology and chemistry. Does anyone who has done the exam before have any idea what will come up and the level of difficulty? I have read other forums saying that you need quickly adapt your knowledge to the question but is there anything specific I can do to prepare. Is the difficulty relatively the same as GCSE past papers or would I need to do biology or chemistry Olympiads which are much harder? Thank you.

Here is a post you'll find helpful: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7165673

PS: The chemistry paper in 2021 was described as "impossible" by the people I know who took it
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 3
Original post by yzads
hi, i am also applying for westminster year for 2023 entry 16+ and i am taking: maths, further maths, physics and chemistry.

for math, there are two papers i believe:
NORMAL MATH - i have heard that for the normal maths paper, it is multiple choice and found that apparently smc and imc papers are very helpful

FURTHER MATHS - the paper is harder and require answers i think, people saidthat math olympiads such as hamilton/caley/mclaurin help a lot with the problem solving skills but the questions are apparently quite different from them so i am still tryna figure that out.

PHYSICS - basic gcse knowledge but more about using physics and math in scenarios and using problem solving skills to figure problems out, so quite different from normal gcse papers and more thrown into some random scenarios. for me i will be making sure i know all the gcse material well, know the basic equations then practice some scenario word problems that i find online

CHEMISTRY - i have no clue but i think more gcse material based according to the sources i have read. for me i will just be practicing harder gcse questions and then maybe doing some olympiad questions and see how it goes

i don't know much about biology sorry, but GOOD LUCK FOR THE EXAMS, hope it goes well

Thank u so much this is very helpful I tried a few of the Olympiad questions but they r very difficult so I’m not sure whether they r expecting that standard. Good luck to u as well!!
Reply 4
Thank you this is also very helpful, we’ll see how chemistry ends up going..
Original post by student_anon13
Here is a post you'll find helpful: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7165673

PS: The chemistry paper in 2021 was described as "impossible" by the people I know who took it
Reply 5
Hello,

I have a follow up question on the maths and further maths exam. Will the style of the paper be similar to gcse past papers?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending