The Student Room Group

I really can't decide on my uni place

I'll try and keep things short.

I have two uni's I literally have in my hands I can choose from but I'm torned down the middle.
( back story uni 2 was my first choice but I wasn't successful in interview so I had my heart on uni 1 and had been for a while, until I got a call (recently and they re-offered my a place at uni 2 this was recent)

Both uni programme are the same as such.

Uni 1 great programme same as uni 2 ( just slight difference in some modules but overall same degree.
And to be honest I invested time and money a bit for this uni as I knew since like jan/Feb time

But uni 2
Has a 3rd year away studying in Australia.
But its has a topic which would be completely new to me which is heavy focused on in the 1st year which is exciting but causing dought.
But such a big call.

I'm a mature student have children but not with the mum anymore but I see them every other weekend. And recently in a new relationship ( 2 months in).

The person I'm seeing is fine with if I was to choose uni 2
I'm just thinking if I choose uni 1 then I've missed out on a opportunity in Australia for a year.
Then if I choose uni2, then I'm not seeing the kids for a year.

Yes everyone tells me. To do pro's and cons and tells me it's my decision. But it's so hard..
When you go to Australia, would you be able to come back to the UK during the year? Would your kids be allowed to visit you there?
Original post by cheadle
When you go to Australia, would you be able to come back to the UK during the year? Would your kids be allowed to visit you there?

Good morning,
I'm sure they could but it would be incredibly expensive, I've got 4 kids..
Original post by Anonymous
Good morning,
I'm sure they could but it would be incredibly expensive, I've got 4 kids..

Ah right. So not a practical suggestion then! It was thinking that it would be a great experience for them to visit you there, which could be a factor in making your decision.
Original post by cheadle
Ah right. So not a practical suggestion then! It was thinking that it would be a great experience for them to visit you there, which could be a factor in making your decision.

It is a big factor..
Just so confused....
I can see the appeal of the Australia year but it also has negatives (the new topic, extra workload, family disruption, etc). Have you weighed up whether there is enough to justify the year in Australia, given that it has some big things stacked against it. I presume as a mature student, you will be very much thinking about your post-degree career - will the year in Australia significantly improve your profile and skillset?
List your priorities.

I hope your relationship with your kids is a top priority.

Australia is not going anywhere. It will always be there for holidays.
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
It is a big factor..
Just so confused....

You've got 4 children that you see regularly and you have responsibilities both to them and their mother. It's surprising that you would even consider leaving them for a year when you have what sounds like an excellent alternative university in the UK.
Original post by SpiderCrab
List your priorities.

I hope your relationship with your kids is a top priority.

Australia is not going anywhere. It will always be there for holidays.

KIDS are my world and main reason why I dought. But I won't get a chance again to study in Australia again.
Australia isn't going no where no.. But the chance of a studying aboard will be and then again my kids aren't going anywhere as well.

I am swaying towards uni 1 but I don't want to have regrets
I can see why you’re conflicted. Australia seems like a dream scenario but your relationship with your children will suffer because of it, imho, and possibly your ex (I’m female and if I put myself in her shoes I’d be beyond annoyed if my spouse disappeared for 9 months unless they were in the armed forces).. If you were young, free and single with no kids it would be a no brainer. Going to uni near your kids to keep continuity of care is super important while they’re young. You’re looking for excitement and adventure (who isn’t!) but Parenting and Uni is an adventure in itself. By choosing Australia you would be prioritising yourself instead of your children. Parenting is about sacrifice, sometimes. I may sound harsh, but it’s true. I’m a parent of two older teenagers and chosen unis because of closer proximity to them. Even older teens need their mum and dad for days out/chats and hugs!. FaceTime doesn’t cut it unfortunately.
(edited 1 year ago)
Always trust your gut instinct and listen to what your common sense is telling you. :smile:
Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest