The Student Room Group

Who do you think should be the new prime minister?

Poll

who do you think should be the new prime minister in england?

title
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Larry the cat
https://twitter.com/Number10cat
Obviously. Can't believe hes not even on the poll
https://twitter.com/Number10cat/status/1551674689965228032
(edited 1 year ago)
Out of Truss and Sunak?

Rishi Sunak. I feel he is the candidate with more integrity and a more realistic view of how economically we should look to recover. Whether he will actually keep to his word in a lot of ways, we can only find out if he gets into 10 downing street.

Out of any of them?

(I’m so gonna get inundated with refutations for this, but hear me out)… Keir Starmer. Of all the leaders of main political parties, he is the one who strikes me as the most politically central (thus not too far left or right). Imo politics itself should not be allowed to govern the country. Responsible, intelligent and mature leaders with integrity are what we should be voting in. In addition to not being so politically skewed to one side, Keir Starmer demonstrated integrity when faced with the investigation by promising to resign if found to be in breach of the law (unlike BoJo).

He also strikes me as more mature than a lot of his counterparts, who I feel would be an international embarrassment during negotiations (which we really need to do, since trade is what brings in roughly 60% of our food iirc and having no deals with the EU is likely to result in ridiculous tariffs that will worsen the cost of living crisis).

However, there is a downside of Keir Starmer becoming PM… Labour would have to get in. That would mean that politics would have to come into it and as Labour is so disaffected by political infighting that I’m uncertain whether it’s the right party to put in place. If Keir Starmer was the leader of a unified, centrist party, I wouldn’t be as hesitant to say he should absolutely become leader.

Imo, his character stands out among the various politicans rn as one of the best, it’s just unfortunate his party stands out as among the most problematic.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by TypicalNerd
Out of Truss and Sunak?

Rishi Sunak. I feel he is the candidate with more integrity and a more realistic view of how economically we should look to recover. Whether he will actually keep to his word in a lot of ways, we can only find out if he gets into 10 downing street.

Out of any of them?

(I’m so gonna get inundated with refutations for this, but hear me out)… Keir Starmer. Of all the leaders of main political parties, he is the one who strikes me as the most politically central (thus not too far left or right). Imo politics itself should not be allowed to govern the country. Responsible, intelligent and mature leaders with integrity are what we should be voting in. In addition to not being so politically skewed to one side, Keir Starmer demonstrated integrity when faced with the investigation by promising to resign if found to be in breach of the law (unlike BoJo).

He also strikes me as more mature than a lot of his counterparts, who I feel would be an international embarrassment during negotiations (which we really need to do, since trade is what brings in roughly 60% of our food iirc and having no deals with the EU is likely to result in ridiculous tariffs that will worsen the cost of living crisis).

However, there is a downside of Keir Starmer becoming PM… Labour would have to get in. That would mean that politics would have to come into it and as Labour is so disaffected by political infighting that I’m uncertain whether it’s the right party to put in place. If Keir Starmer was the leader of a unified, centrist party, I wouldn’t be as hesitant to say he should absolutely become leader.

Imo, his character stands out among the various politicans rn as one of the best, it’s just unfortunate his party stands out as among the most problematic.

yes
At this point they should just haul one of those "fatbergs" out of the Thames and plonk it down in number 10, couldn't do any worse...
Reply 5
Liz! Fishy rishy is nothing but a sleezy, cheesy, grinning cheshire cat who always looks uncomfortable and lost

Either way, labour will win the next general so neither of them will last long
Original post by artful_lounger
At this point they should just haul one of those "fatbergs" out of the Thames and plonk it down in number 10, couldn't do any worse...

Think Prescott is now in the Lords.
Reply 7
Neither look particularly appealing for leadership.
Ideally- Fabulous Finn. :cool:
My neighbour down the road.
Why "England"?
Original post by ageshallnot
Why "England"?

Trying to avoid all the nonsense connected with Northern Ireland and Scotland.
Original post by londonmyst
Trying to avoid all the nonsense connected with Northern Ireland and Scotland.

Hmmm, the contest is for the UK premiership.

Spot on. I wish I could rep more than once.
Original post by ageshallnot
Hmmm, the contest is for the UK premiership.

To be fair I think most of the major political parties that aren't NI ones/Plaid Cymru/SNP tend to forget the UK includes more than just England :colonhash:

Original post by Mesopotamian.
Spot on. I wish I could rep more than once.

:biggrin:
Me. You’re all banned from Chequers.
To be fair I think most of the major political parties that aren't NI ones/Plaid Cymru/SNP tend to forget the UK includes more than just England :colonhash:

Not if they need them for a coalition! 😃
Arthur is not just a king. He is the Once and Future King. Take heart, for when Albion's need is greatest: Arthur will rise again.

...any time now. :bebored:
Original post by AngryJellyfish
Arthur is not just a king. He is the Once and Future King. Take heart, for when Albion's need is greatest: Arthur will rise again.

...any time now. :bebored:

Tbf, we nearly had a couple of Arthurs as kings. One was murdered by his uncle, the other died after swimming in the dirty Thames. Not a good precedent ...
Original post by mqb2766
Tbf, we nearly had a couple of Arthurs as kings. One was murdered by his uncle, the other died after swimming in the dirty Thames. Not a good precedent ...

Did we? Who were these king Arthurs?
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending