The Student Room Group

Can I reject an offer after accepting it

Hi guys, I just want to ask, I accepted a offer for biomed and Manchester uni but now am considering maybe doing pharmacy and then that would mean having to reject my biomed offer and go through clearing. I just wanted to know if it is possible to reject the biomed offer on results day, thank you.
Original post by Exciting95135
Hi guys, I just want to ask, I accepted a offer for biomed and Manchester uni but now am considering maybe doing pharmacy and then that would mean having to reject my biomed offer and go through clearing. I just wanted to know if it is possible to reject the biomed offer on results day, thank you.

Yes, if you can't personally do it, give UCAS a call and they should be able to do it on their end :smile:

If your firm choice has been made unconditional then you can place yourself into clearing using the “decline my place” button on ucas.

if you want Manchester to consider you for a different course then ask them now. Don’t wait until results day.

I would suggest calling Manchester Uni to ask whether you could transfer from biomed to pharmacy. This would be better than declining the offer.
Contact other Unis first this week to see if they expect to have Pharmacy open in Clearing.

You do not have to do anything about dropping the Manc offer until you actually have your results.
Wait and see what you have got and then decide what you want to do.

At that point you could drop your entire UCAS application for this year and reapply to 5 Unis for 2023 entry in the autumn - this would give you time to think and to visit some Unis and hear about their courses, graduate prospects etc. And also look at Pharmacology/Drug Discovery courses in case this also appeals to you.

NHS Pharmacist - https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/explore-roles/pharmacy/roles-pharmacy/pharmacist/pharmacist
Community Pharmacist - https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/community-pharmacist
Hospital Pharamcist - https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/hospital-pharmacist
Original post by Wired_1800
I would suggest calling Manchester Uni to ask whether you could transfer from biomed to pharmacy. This would be better than declining the offer.

I asked of there were any vacancies in pharmacy a while ago and they said applications for pharmacy closed on January and there are none. I'll just ask them on Monday next week if that has changed though so thank you
I asked of there were any vacancies in pharmacy a while ago and they said applications for pharmacy closed on January and there are none. I'll just ask them on Monday next week if that has changed though so thank you

Don't ask if there are vacancies. Some people act like robots and will reply without sufficient thought.

I suggest asking something like: “Hi, I am an offer holder in Biomedical Science and was wondering whether I can transfer to Pharmacy. I think I meet the requirements and wanted to do it before starting in October.”

I would also reach out to academic staff in Pharmacy who may have influence to make it happen. Some ‘normal’ staff basically do what they are told with the “computer says no” mindset.
Don't ask if there are vacancies. Some people act like robots and will reply without sufficient thought.

I suggest asking something like: “Hi, I am an offer holder in Biomedical Science and was wondering whether I can transfer to Pharmacy. I think I meet the requirements and wanted to do it before starting in October.”

I would also reach out to academic staff in Pharmacy who may have influence to make it happen. Some ‘normal’ staff basically do what they are told with the “computer says no” mindset.

I've already asked the head of pharmacy and she said applications for pharmacy are closed for 2022 and they are unable to consider any further applications
I've already asked the head of pharmacy and she said applications for pharmacy are closed for 2022 and they are unable to consider any further applications

Not head of pharmacy, the admissions administrator
Not head of pharmacy, the admissions administrator

Admissions administrators are normal staff, best to contact an academic.

As mentioned above, it's possible to 'decline your place' for your biomed offer once it becomes unconditional, but please only do this after you receive a verbal or written offer from the university of your preferred course.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by KA_P
As mentioned above, it's possible to 'decline your place' for your biomed offer once it becomes unconditional, but please only do this after you receive a verbal or written offer from the university of your preferred course.

To be honest I wouldn’t recommend delaying in this case. OP doesn’t want to study their firm course.
if Manchester aren’t willing to consider a transfer (which can be clarified before results day) then explaining to them that OP will be going elsewhere and using decline my place asap is the best option.
Manchester knows straight away that there’s another place to fill in biomed and ang other universities approached in clearing can access OPs full ucas application (and OP can also see if there’s any clearing plus options displayed to them for pharmacy)

For people trying to play the odds and hold on to their firm as a backup then waiting can sometimes be worthwhile (but even then it will limit options - no clearing plus options and some universities won’t consider applicants if they’re placed elsewhere).
Original post by PQ
To be honest I wouldn’t recommend delaying in this case. OP doesn’t want to study their firm course.
if Manchester aren’t willing to consider a transfer (which can be clarified before results day) then explaining to them that OP will be going elsewhere and using decline my place asap is the best option.
Manchester knows straight away that there’s another place to fill in biomed and ang other universities approached in clearing can access OPs full ucas application (and OP can also see if there’s any clearing plus options displayed to them for pharmacy)

For people trying to play the odds and hold on to their firm as a backup then waiting can sometimes be worthwhile (but even then it will limit options - no clearing plus options and some universities won’t consider applicants if they’re placed elsewhere).

That makes more sense and seems like the better option, thanks for explaining :hugs:
Admissions administrators are normal staff, best to contact an academic.

Academics do not make these sort of decisions in a University like Mancheser that has 'centralised' admissions.

As above, asking Admissions staff about a course-switch is far more likely to get the the correct answer than asking random academics, most of whom having nothing to do with the processing of applications. At this time of year, just before Confirmation, its unlikely you would get an immediate switch but they would at least make a note on your application record that 'wants switch to Pharmacy' if that is possible once A level results are processed and they see how the numbers are. Phone Manc on Monday. Then phone again on Results Day.
Original post by McGinger
Academics do not make these sort of decisions in a University like Mancheser that has 'centralised' admissions.

As above, asking Admissions staff about a course-switch is far more likely to get the the correct answer than asking random academics, most of whom having nothing to do with the processing of applications. At this time of year, just before Confirmation, its unlikely you would get an immediate switch but they would at least make a note on your application record that 'wants switch to Pharmacy' if that is possible once A level results are processed and they see how the numbers are. Phone Manc on Monday. Then phone again on Results Day.

That’s fair, but not what i meant. I was referring to proper staff who have the ability to review the request rather than “administrators” who would take queries and answer calls.

I have dealt with “admins” and know people who have also dealt with them. We all had the same experience as the OP with the standard “computer says no” response. Hence why i suggested that OP contacts someone who can actually do something about the request (if they can).
That’s fair, but not what i meant. I was referring to proper staff who have the ability to review the request rather than “administrators” who would take queries and answer calls.

You clearly have no idea how modern Uni admissions actually works. Admissions staff are highly qualified and skilled 'proper staff' and make 99.9% of accept/reject decisons without any reference to any academics - we do not just answer the phone and make the tea.
Original post by McGinger
You clearly have no idea how modern Uni admissions actually works. Admissions staff are highly qualified and skilled 'proper staff' and make 99.9% of accept/reject decisons without any reference to any academics - we do not just answer the phone and make the tea.

There is no need to get your knickers in a twist. I did not refer to people like you but ‘administrators’ which I alluded to in my previous post. I am engaging in good faith, so there is no need to get worked up. The weather is hot already…

I meant that the OP should contact people like you who can review the request and make decisions.
Original post by PQ

What does OP mean?
What does OP mean?

Original Poster i.e. you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending