The Student Room Group

Criminology graduate - looking for relevant jobs

Hi,

I’m graduating with a Bachelor of Science in Criminology this July. I’ve been searching for jobs that are relevant to my field. But I’m honestly feeling that I don’t deserve my degree or deserve to be in the field, if that makes sense. I can’t seem to find any job roles that are relevant and the ones that I applied for, I didn’t get or didn’t hear back from. Is anyone in a similar position to me or has been in the same position? I’m starting a job at a nursery soon, just so I have a job and an income. But it’s not what I want to do permanently. I’m living with my boyfriend now, and I just feel like I should be making a lot more money as I have a degree behind me. I think I’m just feeling a sense of imposter syndrome at the moment… Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance 😊
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Tell me more about yourself. Describe your own interests and hobbies etc.
Original post by tinyperson
Tell me more about yourself. Describe your own interests and hobbies etc.

I’m very interested in helping people to deter from crime and I enjoy working with children. I love true crime documentaries, I enjoy reading and nature.
Original post by fightorflight66
I just feel like I should be making a lot more money as I have a degree behind me.

If you want to chase money, then staying within the field if criminology is probably not the way to go.
Original post by Blue_Cow
If you want to chase money, then staying within the field if criminology is probably not the way to go.

Perhaps, but it’s what I did at university soooo… it’s a bit late for that now.
Reply 5
Perhaps, but it’s what I did at university soooo… it’s a bit late for that now.

You don't need to work in the field you studied, most graduates probably don't
Original post by Sinnoh
You don't need to work in the field you studied, most graduates probably don't

I know I don’t, but I don’t really have any other option. It will be a waste of a lot of money if I don’t work in the criminology field.
Reply 7
I know I don’t, but I don’t really have any other option. It will be a waste of a lot of money if I don’t work in the criminology field.

Why would it be a waste of money?

Outside of academia, and a few police analyst staff jobs there are no jobs in the criminology field. Anything at first grad job level is irrelevant to your degree. The jobs you can outside the field are applicable to pretty much any similar social science grad degree.

Criminology is sort of a bit sociology and a bit psychology and might be one of the lowest ratio of jobs : graduates, even more than psychology.
Original post by Sinnoh
Why would it be a waste of money?

Because I went into the degree with aspirations for the field. Why would I change my mind now?
Original post by Trinculo
Outside of academia, and a few police analyst staff jobs there are no jobs in the criminology field. Anything at first grad job level is irrelevant to your degree. The jobs you can outside the field are applicable to pretty much any similar social science grad degree.

Criminology is sort of a bit sociology and a bit psychology and might be one of the lowest ratio of jobs : graduates, even more than psychology.

That’s not technically true: there are jobs in police, probation etc.
That’s not technically true: there are jobs in police, probation etc.

It is true. A couple of police analyst jobs might make use of some of the environmental or behavioural criminology you learned if you can do a bit of stats. But that’s it. Everything else in policing and probation has nothing whatsoever to do with criminology as a degree. For example- theorising that lead paint is or is not related to offending is of no use to a police officer or probation officer. Certainly not at the junior practitioner level. It is not relevant to a Constable why a person commits crime - only that he has and how to bring that to an outcome. A probation officer’s concern is to manage offenders - not examine social theories.
It is true. A couple of police analyst jobs might make use of some of the environmental or behavioural criminology you learned if you can do a bit of stats. But that’s it. Everything else in policing and probation has nothing whatsoever to do with criminology as a degree. For example- theorising that lead paint is or is not related to offending is of no use to a police officer or probation officer. Certainly not at the junior practitioner level. It is not relevant to a Constable why a person commits crime - only that he has and how to bring that to an outcome. A probation officer’s concern is to manage offenders - not examine social theories.

Perhaps not. But it is more desirable to have a degree related to your job. I applied for 2 probation jobs at different times, I was only offered an interview for the job after I was given my degree.
Perhaps not. But it is more desirable to have a degree related to your job. I applied for 2 probation jobs at different times, I was only offered an interview for the job after I was given my degree.

Also, a criminology degree looks at more than just why an offender commits crime… it is relevant to a probation officer as it looks at how to prevent an offender re-offending upon release.

Are you a former criminology student?
Also, a criminology degree looks at more than just why an offender commits crime… it is relevant to a probation officer as it looks at how to prevent an offender re-offending upon release.

Are you a former criminology student?

I have an MSc in a criminology type subject

I understand what you are trying to say - but the reality of it is that it just isn't applicable. If you are a probation officer - you would ideally like your charges not to re-offend - but that has to be done within the confines of the systems in place, and probation officers have enormous workloads and are generally very blunt instruments - most of time their role will be administering a recall to prison after someone has breached various terms. There isn't really any scope for having long drawn out discussions with someone recently released. And let's be honest - you can study criminology for decades, get PhDs and be a post-doctoral researcher, but ultimately if your average client is a heroin addict who steals because he/she is an addict - there's no room for thinking about societal responses to crime or comparisons with the criminal justice system in France. All you can do is hope that they stay on script and stay away from their old friends. And if they miss their court ordered drug rehab sessions - you get them recalled to prison. That's it. That's the job.

Whether your degree is in Criminology, History or Maths, you're going to be able to do that job to the same level. I'm not saying it's a bad degree by any means - only that outside of very limited scope, there aren't really any jobs for which the degree is directly applicable. Like for police officers, the only degree that will really help them is law - and then only in a very limited fashion. A criminology degree will help you like any other degree for any of the range of jobs where the requirement is for a graduate, and there's no harm or shame in that. Just like very few people read History with the intent of working directly in History, other than academia or teaching.
I have an MSc in a criminology type subject

I understand what you are trying to say - but the reality of it is that it just isn't applicable. If you are a probation officer - you would ideally like your charges not to re-offend - but that has to be done within the confines of the systems in place, and probation officers have enormous workloads and are generally very blunt instruments - most of time their role will be administering a recall to prison after someone has breached various terms. There isn't really any scope for having long drawn out discussions with someone recently released. And let's be honest - you can study criminology for decades, get PhDs and be a post-doctoral researcher, but ultimately if your average client is a heroin addict who steals because he/she is an addict - there's no room for thinking about societal responses to crime or comparisons with the criminal justice system in France. All you can do is hope that they stay on script and stay away from their old friends. And if they miss their court ordered drug rehab sessions - you get them recalled to prison. That's it. That's the job.

Whether your degree is in Criminology, History or Maths, you're going to be able to do that job to the same level. I'm not saying it's a bad degree by any means - only that outside of very limited scope, there aren't really any jobs for which the degree is directly applicable. Like for police officers, the only degree that will really help them is law - and then only in a very limited fashion. A criminology degree will help you like any other degree for any of the range of jobs where the requirement is for a graduate, and there's no harm or shame in that. Just like very few people read History with the intent of working directly in History, other than academia or teaching.

Which criminology type subject?
Which criminology type subject?

Crime Science
Crime Science

What do you do for work, if you don’t mind me asking?
If you want more money, you should get a professional job. Go and search for any professional jobs you are interested hopefully with high demand and see the requirement. Unfortunately, it is a high chance you may need a Master degree to learn more professional knowledge. You didn’t waste money on BSc degree since you need it to apply for a master degree. Consider doing part time study and work in a job that could benefit your future salary. Or look for professional job that can help you train and become a qualified member of institution in that area. It is going to be hard but a great investment.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Isaac CH
If you want more money, you should get a professional job. Go and search for any professional jobs you are interested hopefully with high demand and see the requirement. Unfortunately, it is a high chance you may need a Master degree to learn more professional knowledge. You didn’t waste money on BSc degree since you need it to apply for a master degree. Consider doing part time study and work in a job that could benefit your future salary. Or look for professional job that can help you train and become a qualified member of institution in that area. It is going to be hard but a great investment.

What’s a ‘professional’ job?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending