The Student Room Group

Do your parents make you pay rent?

Scroll to see replies

If they ask for rent, then they ARE asking for money back. Obviously it'd be completely absurd to ask for "a penny back" for raising you for 18 years...
Reply 61
Not at the moment, but once my job starts (a week today) then I'll have to pay a certain amount every week.
Reply 62
Nope, i do chores though. I think my parents were thinking of asking me for "rent" when i get a proper job, but were going to put it aside so that when i want to move out properly it would be a deposit for a flat or whatever.
Reply 63
No they don't because I have always been in full time education when I have lived here. I am moving off to Uni in 12 days, so i doubt I will ever pay them rent since I (hopefully) intend to never have to move back there. If I had been working full time though I would have had to pay.
Reply 64
im gonna be paying £275 and its worth it to not live at home
I refuse to pay rent when I'm living at home and my parents wouldn't make me pay anyway. One of my friends has to pay her parents £100 a week, which I think is absurd, disgusting, and very clearly taking advantage. Despite having to pay this extortionate amount she still has to pay ~£800 if she wants to go on holiday with her family.

How do her parents expect her to save for the future if they're robbing her of nearly 50% of her weekly earnings?
I don't pay rent when i'm not working. I just do chores and help out where i can, the usual shizz.
But yeah when i'm working i contribute rent - my mum doesn't ask me but its more of a conscience thing, i'm earning money so i should help - i should at least get into the routine of seeing a bit of my paycheck immediately disappear each week else i'll be in for a bit of a shock when i move out!
quadruple_twist
I refuse to pay rent when I'm living at home and my parents wouldn't make me pay anyway. One of my friends has to pay her parents £100 a week, which I think is absurd, disgusting, and very clearly taking advantage. Despite having to pay this extortionate amount she still has to pay ~£800 if she wants to go on holiday with her family.

How do her parents expect her to save for the future if they're robbing her of nearly 50% of her weekly earnings?

whilst a hundred pound a week is quite a lot more than what most people pay for someone living at home its probably still cheaper than living away from home. If she wants to go on holiday then she's paying. Its called life.

As for saving for the future she still about £110 a week to live off (going by what you said of nearly half) thats £440 pound a month. So she can simply save better. she wants more money work more shifts again its how life works
silverbolt
whilst a hundred pound a week is quite a lot more than what most people pay for someone living at home its probably still cheaper than living away from home. If she wants to go on holiday then she's paying. Its called life.

As for saving for the future she still about £110 a week to live off (going by what you said of nearly half) thats £440 pound a month. So she can simply save better. she wants more money work more shifts again its how life works

You really think it's normal for parents to make their children pay to come on holiday with them?!

I feel sorry for you.
No I don't pay rent.
more adventurous
You really think it's normal for parents to make their children pay to come on holiday with them?!

I feel sorry for you.

When thier young children no of course not but when your a full time working adult why not? The situation is different for a student studying full time and working part time.

Why should the parents fork out £800 for a holiday when the child has the means to pay for it themself?
I still live at home and give my mum £60 a month and my dad £20 because he is always picking me up/taking me to work etc so it goes towards his petrol, though I probably use more than I pay for. Its never bothered me because I know its a fair deal when you compare it to the amount d have to pay if Id moved out!
silverbolt

Oh complete balls, it costs max £60 a week to rent your own flat around here, her parents are completely taking advantage. She's 18, she shouldn't have to pay to go on holiday with her parents. They're her parents, not her friends/kids for ****'s sake! Ugh I hate people who take advantage of their kids!
quadruple_twist
Oh complete balls, it costs max £60 a week to rent your own flat around here, her parents are completely taking advantage. She's 18, she shouldn't have to pay to go on holiday with her parents. They're her parents, not her friends/kids for ****'s sake! Ugh I hate people who take advantage of their kids!

£60 is damn good for rent most places i know of will charge you 500 a month. Yet on top of just rent you have food bills leccy gas internet and so on and so forth which may well set you back well over £100 a week. And at least in birmingham stdent accomodation aside (whose rates can be different to those paid by non students) unless your very lucky £100 a week wont even cover rent never mind everything else on top.

Yet even i said £100 a week is more than most people living with thier parents pay.

And what about kids taking advantage of thier parents?

Sigh this is just going round and round in circles
silverbolt
When thier young children no of course not but when your a full time working adult why not? The situation is different for a student studying full time and working part time.

Why should the parents fork out £800 for a holiday when the child has the means to pay for it themself?

Why should anybody buy anyone birthday or Christmas presents? Why should anybody do anything for someone that they're not going to be paid back for?

£60 is damn good for rent most places i know of will charge you 500 a month. Yet on top of just rent you have food bills leccy gas internet and so on and so forth which may well set you back well over £100 a week. And at least in birmingham stdent accomodation aside (whose rates can be different to those paid by non students) unless your very lucky £100 a week wont even cover rent never mind everything else on top.

Yet even i said £100 a week is more than most people living with thier parents pay.

Yet, you get the benefits of not living with your parents. Which you don't get when you pay your parents £100 a week to live with them. You know... some people do want to move out even though it costs more than living with their parents. :eek:
more adventurous
Yet, you get the benefits of not living with your parents. Which you don't get when you pay your parents £100 a week to live with them. You know... some people do want to move out even though it costs more than living with their parents. :eek:

agreed 100%, i want my own place (on my own) something chronic but i dont earn enough to afford it and niether can my mother after her split with her husband. Its a mutally beneficial situation. And as i said its more like having a housemate than anything else.

As for the present anology if the holiday is a gift then no you wouldnt expect to have to pay for it. Yet the poster said nothing about it being a present.

and it still doesnt answer the question so il ask it again with added perameters. Why should the parent pay for the holiday if its not a gift when the child ahs the means to pay for themself?
Because it's a family holiday and family holidays are supposed to be about spending time together, even if it costs money. What difference does it make if you call it a gift or not? Most parents would pay for their children to come on holiday with them because they want them to come. Not many people are going to go on holiday with their parents if they have to pay for it...
more adventurous
Because it's a family holiday and family holidays are supposed to be about spending time together, even if it costs money. What difference does it make if you call it a gift or not? Most parents would pay for their children to come on holiday with them because they want them to come. Not many people are going to go on holiday with their parents if they have to pay for it...

then if the child wants to spend time they can pay to go away as well. Family holiday does not have to equate to mommy and daddy pay for everything
Reply 78
No, my parents aren't stingy :wink:
Is it inconceivable that the parents would want to spend time with their children, and therefore wouldn't consider asking them for money? :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending